I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cost of dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cost of dialysis  (Read 4815 times)
mike22

« on: September 03, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »

What is the cost of dialysis per month
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »

According to Medicare, it's around $5500

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »

When I had a group health plan the bills where twice that...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

Actually, Medicare approves approximately $146.00 per dialysis treatment, not including I.V. medications.  Of that amount, Medicare pays 80%, if it is your primary insurance.  Secondary insurance, such as a Medi-Gap policy, pays the remaining 20%.

If you are in a private group insurance plan, dialysis clinics sometimes charge three to four times that amount.
Also what is billed and what is paid usually are two different things for private insurance.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »

According to a publication from Medicare, they pay an average of $67,000 for each patient on dialysis. I'm not sure what all this includes. I've heard that some epo shots go as high as $1000 a pop.

mid4u

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »

on onestatement the cost was 38000 for one month dont know what was included epo runs very high
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

Like Zach said, what is submitted charges and what is bargained (negotiated savings) is two different things.  When Blue Cross was primary the submitted charges would be $40,000, but after negotiated savings insurance would pay $5,000.  They could charge a million dollars and my insurance would pay $5,000.  Big game, Huge! 

Now that Medicare is primary I don't see anything.  My Blood Pressure has also gone down!

:waving;

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »

I would love to see a detailed monthly statement. All I see is what the insurance actually paid.

cherpep

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »

At my old Fresenius clinic, the cost billed per session was between $3000 and $5000, we could never get a good reason why the cost per session varied so much.  I did receive a summary billing that showed these costs, and they did not include any medication or doctor charges - this was only for the treatment.  My insurance company negotiated and agreed to pay $895 per session.  YES, that is per session.  My personal feeling (and I have no proof of anything to back this up) is that they list the per session treatments so high so they can claim the difference as a loss somehow.  Now that I'm on home dialysis, the cost per session is down to around $500.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »

In my former career I got involved in several Medicare and Medicaid fraud investigations. Some of the stuff was unbelievable.

I think we should charge monthly dues and invest the money in Davita and Fresenius stock.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »

In Australia I believe the govt pays around $60,000 (AUD, which is about 0.9 USD) for a year of dialysis. I am sure this varies between patients. With EPO, I know the highest dose Aranesp dose was around $2,500 a shot (!)... the mond absolutely boggles.

I have no problem paying taxes now given they prop me up to in such a way.....

(Since I do dialysis under the public health system here I get no bills except for medications I take outside of the unit.. they even cover my aranesp shots in center etc)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

My arenesp shots are $1800 for one shot.  Crazy stupid prices!   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
draven

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »

The cost of dialysis here in South Africa is about R15000 (us$1900) a month to have it done privately. not including your other meds like iron.
And if u have a decent medical aid they sometimes pay for the sessions. unfortunetly i have to pay a copayment every month.

If u dont have medical aid here, you are pretty much sent home to die. as all our goverment dialysis centers are full.

:bow; i thank my parents for there medical aid every day.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:08 AM »

If u dont have medical aid here, you are pretty much sent home to die. as all our goverment dialysis centers are full.

WHAT! are you serious, does that really happen? ...Boxman

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:38:51 AM by boxman55 » Logged

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
draven

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »

Hi boxman.

yes unfortunately it does happen here.

according to the link, 1500 people are diagnosed with Renal failure every year and only 500 of them will receive dialysis!!! thats in my part of the country alone.

and just case anyone was wondering u can get a disability pension or grant but it only works out to $100 a month.
that wont even cover one dialysis session. and u are expected to live on that amount of money. :urcrazy;

just one of the reasons I'm seriously consedring emigrating out the country once i have my transplant.

http://www.health-e.org.za/news/article.php?uid=20032082
Pierre

Let's have a drink !

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:40 AM »

WOW... just amazing reading this information... I knew the cost of privitized healthcare in the US was high to say the least, but this realy astonished me.  That's what you get when health is turned into a major business I guess.

I receive an invoice each month from the hospital with all the costs involved: one session in my low care center has a pricetag of 255,99 euro, which includes all costs except iron and regular labtests. In July the amount of the invoice was 3.688,42 euro of which I had to pay 34,24 euro. This does not include medication I have to get myself at the pharmacy. When I started and dialyzed in hospital one session costed 199 euro. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:28:30 AM by Pierre » Logged

When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »