I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Life insurance
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life insurance  (Read 5320 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: August 01, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »

I read somewhere sometime that even once you get a transplant you can either never really find life insurance again or it's really expensive...is that true?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:25:38 PM »

Probably is true.

I have never heard of people getting any type of medical or life insurance on their own after being diagnosed with kidney failure.  I imagine if they do get it rates would be very high and then the company probably would not cover anything related to the issue of the transplant nor caused because of the transplant.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »

Its true, but it is really fun to get the guy set down and all his stuff out and then lay it on him.  "Oh, by the way, I have a kidney transplant, it that a problem?? 

Or, if they call you on the phone and you don't want to talk, just tell them up front you have a kidney transplant........"click"

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »

I have life insurance through my parents. But when I claimed bankruptcy they would have had me cash it in so I signed it over to my dad so they couldn't take it from me. I had to to protect myself as I have been told that if I lose that I will never EVER have life insurance again because of "pre-exsisting" health problems. Then also disability would want me to cash it in even if bankruptcy didn't do that.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:24:18 PM »

I asked a life insurance person who came to do my hubby's life insurance what a rate on me with kidney failure a month would be. It was around 400.00 a month to insure me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »

my plan is only worth $2G :(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »

Sounds to me like it almost makes sense to just not get a transplant.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »

Sounds to me like it almost makes sense to just not get a transplant.
Why? Even when you are on dialysis you get judged and can't get life insurance. What difference would not getting a transplant do?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:30 PM »

Well, if you already have insurance before you get a transplant and at a fair rate, then after that, you go to get another insurance plan for whatever reason.  Then your kidney fails and you have to hunt down insurance again to take up the slack.  But now, your hit.  You can't get the insurance you were lucky enough to have before.  Then what?

EDIT*
Oh, I miss understood.  this is about someone new to kidney failure trying to get insurance on their own.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:39:20 PM by sandmansa » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:38:13 PM »

You are pretty much SCREWED!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »

I have life insurance through my parents. But when I claimed bankruptcy they would have had me cash it in so I signed it over to my dad so they couldn't take it from me. I had to to protect myself as I have been told that if I lose that I will never EVER have life insurance again because of "pre-exsisting" health problems. Then also disability would want me to cash it in even if bankruptcy didn't do that.

How can you "sign it over to your Dad". 

How can they make you cash it in.  You only collect on LIFE insurance when you die?

Who cares about life insurance anyway?  Do you have children you need to leave something to?  Would maybe a "boyfriend" be interested in how much life insurance you have?   >:D

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »

How can they make you cash it in.  You only collect on LIFE insurance when you die?

Who cares about life insurance anyway?  Do you have children you need to leave something to?  Would maybe a "boyfriend" be interested in how much life insurance you have?   >:D

Some insurances you cash in.  Some people use them as investments, although I've heard it is unwise to do so.  My mom got life insurance on all her kids when we were born and now the cash-in value is a few thousand I believe.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
sandman

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »

How can they make you cash it in?  You only collect on LIFE insurance when you die?

Yeah, that kinda puzzles me as well.  As far as I know, no one can force you to cash in a life insurance policy.  Unless you can't keep up the payments, then I can see that problem.  But still, only the company providing the policy could question you on that matter, right?
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 06:58:41 PM »

Solution to problem when possible...keep job while on dialysis and the company provided life insurance can't stop.  So now I'm planning to work forever  ;D
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »

I tried and tried to get insurance for my family if somthing were to happen to me, but they all told me to go pound sand.  :P But then my wife got this great job and for a literally a few bucks a month, if something were to happen to me she would get $35,000 no medical questions, no review, no questions asked. I am so happy because of that, we even have insurance for her and our son. total we pay like $25 a month. and they great thing is the day I die, she gets cut a check or within like 48 hours.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:11:04 PM »

it is not through my work. My life insurance is something my parents got for all us kids.

I was able to sign it over to my dad so I wouldn't lose it. I just got it back in my name but I won't tell disability about it or they WILL make me cash it in even if it is worth very little ...

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »

That has to be the most insane line of thinking of any government agency to force someone to sell off their life insurance just for the cash now.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 11:31:17 PM »

That has to be the most insane line of thinking of any government agency to force someone to sell off their life insurance just for the cash now.

ChaaaCinggg   ;D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »

You and me both, Livecam, working forever to keep the insurance!

lifenotonthelist.com

Mom3

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 10:58:12 AM »

Make it three. At least I'm TRYING! :-[ My son is on my insurance since he was disabled as a child...
Mom 3

Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to the will, unless the will consent.
Epictetus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »