I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  DaVita going to "buttonhole" cannulation for fistulas....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita going to "buttonhole" cannulation for fistulas....  (Read 5752 times)
bioya

« on: July 31, 2006, 08:54:40 PM »

I guess its the big thing everywhere but the US. You use the exact same sites on your fistula (fistula only) for 10 sticks. By then, you have a tunnel developed. After the tunnel is developed, you just pick the scab off the sites from the previous stick and the PATIENT (they are wanting the patient to stick themselves) slides the needles in the tunnel and into the fistula. They use what is called a blunt needle, but they did not look too blunt to me, thats for sure.
I honestly don't understand this type of cannulation because in the past we have always been told not to stick in the same spot as it wears the fistula out. But now they want the patient to stick themselves in the same spot over and over.
Does anyone have any experience in this type of cannulation that can share experiences with us?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:10:07 PM »

I guess its the big thing everywhere but the US. You use the exact same sites on your fistula (fistula only) for 10 sticks. By then, you have a tunnel developed. After the tunnel is developed, you just pick the scab off the sites from the previous stick and the PATIENT (they are wanting the patient to stick themselves) slides the needles in the tunnel and into the fistula. They use what is called a blunt needle, but they did not look too blunt to me, thats for sure.
I honestly don't understand this type of cannulation because in the past we have always been told not to stick in the same spot as it wears the fistula out. But now they want the patient to stick themselves in the same spot over and over.
Does anyone have any experience in this type of cannulation that can share experiences with us?

oooh that is EXACTLY what I want to learn to do!! :)

The reason?

I have heard that as time goes by they learn more and more about what works! I have seen a guy sit beside me till he switched shifts. He was doing the buttonhole technique. I watched as he picked off his scabs with tweezers. I asked him if he was doing the buttonhole technique and he said he was. He said it would be good for me to do it since I already have so much scar tissue in my arms as it is (from blood work since I was 9 years old .. and repeatedly throughout the years - I am 32 now). He said he wishes he would have done it right from the beginning of his hemo days.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:13:04 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=965.0

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=965.0
Thank you :)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »

We visited a DaVita clinic in GA today and they are teaching the buttonhole technique.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »