I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  looking for a video/website
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking for a video/website  (Read 4273 times)
TynyWonder

Calvin

« on: August 23, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »

I hope I am making this request in the right forum.  I am going to be having another surgery to put in another graft as my last 3 surgeries (2 fistuals and 1 graft) did not "take".  My Aunt would really like to find a video/site that shows the graft procedure.  She is trying to learn all she can about what is going on with her niece!    :cuddle;  We tried looking for websites/videos the other night and could only find "words" and she and I both would like pictures or videos.........something we both can understand and not have to read!  LOL  Anyway, if any of you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.   By the way, have alot of you had to have more than 1 procedure for an access to work?  I sure am dreading it..........well, I am not dreading the surgery so much, but I am dreading if it should work and then being stuck with 2 needles, 3 times a week.  I have not had to go that route just yet as I still have my catheter in so, it will be all new to me............again, thanks for anyone's help and encouraging words!

Tammy :bandance;

EDITED: Moved to proper section - okarol, admin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:18:07 AM by okarol » Logged

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »

Hi Tammy,
I have searched for a video on a graft surgery but only have found fistula so far. Here is one on youtube. Unfortunately I am so squeamish about viewing surgeries that I was only able to watch a little, so if you get through it please let me know if it is helpful. You have to read the subtitles. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eKVRCWEwGC8

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »

I have not viewed the video yet but I did want to go ahead and say, "thank you so much" for finding me at least something my Aunt & I can look at!   :)  However, I too, am squeamish about those type of things and that is why I am sooooo dreading being stuck.  I know people here are already so use to it that they maybe rolling their eyes at me but like I said, it will be a totally new process for me and right now, I can hardly even watch when they do blood work.   :-\  Anyway, I know it will get better and in time, I will get use to it but I have been very nervous ever since I found out Wednesday that I am having another surgery...........I have talked to a couple of people at dialysis and they have made me feel a little better and I do plan to use the EMLA(?) cream.  Do you use that or have you used it?   If so, how did it work for you?  Anyway, thanks again and I will let you know what I thought of the video.

Tammy

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

OKAROL, 

I just viewed the video and it was pretty good and the only thing I wish they would have done differently was that they should have done a closer view of the whole procedure but anyway, thanks again and if you find anymore please just pass them on as well!  Have a happy little day!  :bandance;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »

hope the surgery goes well and the new graft serves you well.  :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »

Thank you!  I wish I could just sleep until the surgery is done and over.........I hate feeling nervous!   :banghead;

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:28:25 AM »

Tammy, when is your surgery? lets us know what the outcome is. Hope all is well. Oh by the way I have never used the cream but I do use Ethyl Chloride spray which instantly freezes the area right before needle poke. I like it better then having to apply cream an hour or so prior...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »

My surgery is Thursday, September 4th.  Thanks for the well wishes!  I asked about the spray here in TN because in Huntsville, AL where I moved from, they used it.  However, when I asked about the spray here, I was told that they thought it had been banned; therefore, people only have the cream to use.  I would much rather use the spray so I can continue to spray it on and I will request it just to see what they say.  Thanks again for the well wishes and I will let ya know what happens.

Tammy

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »

I watched the video and agree, they should have done a closer view, but I like medical stuff. I would like to see how a graft is done though. I have seen the graft in it's package before surgery though.

To your other question. I have had a fistula and a graft surgery in the same arm. The graft was done on my left arm with an incision at the wrist. Due to diabetes my veins are not good and the fistula failed4 months later. I then had a graft put in in my left arm with an incision at the inner elbow (can't think of correct medical name) and it runs up my bicep and under my arm. Very uncomfortable to put deodorant on :twocents;

The difference I felt between the two was that the needles were less painful to insert into the graft than the fistula. My center was stingy on using lidocain shots or the freeze spray (hated that stuff) so I just got use to it. However, I do not like my grafts appearance. It sticks out like a sore thumb and it's itchy. The skin breaks easy if I scratch it, but it did it job though.

Good Luck with surgery.

So what search terms have been used? Maybe if I try the medical name of the procedure or device something can be found.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:38:37 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »

So what search terms have been used? Maybe if I try the medical name of the procedure or device something can be found.

Thanks for the well wishes on my surgery first of all!  When you asked what search terms I have used, I am not exactly sure what you mean but I have tried to google graft procedures, graft video procedure, and graft for dialysis procedure.  Does that kinda answer your questions?  Do you think you can find anything more?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Tammy

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes on my surgery first of all!  When you asked what search terms I have used, I am not exactly sure what you mean but I have tried to google graft procedures, graft video procedure, and graft for dialysis procedure.  Does that kinda answer your questions?  Do you think you can find anything more?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Tammy
Yes Tynyonder, those where what I was looking for in terms of what you used for searching for videos and information. I'll try some other terms and if I find something, I'll post it. I hope I find something, I'd like to see myself what a graft surgery looks like.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

I may have found something, but can't view it. Still having problems watching flash player movies for some reason. Didn't know I had a problem till trying to watch okarols video.

I will try my school's computer to see if it is worth posting. But I changed the search parameters in Google and tried different names. So far I have found 2 possible videos if I could watch them.

Personal Note:
Google Advance settings - Any Lnguage and File Type: Shockwave Flash(.swf)
Search Term: watch video of a arteriovenous graft surgery for dialysis access filetype:swf
change back settings to previous settings on school computer before logging off

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Mercurial

Building a Zen deathray.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »

My surgery is Thursday, September 4th.  Thanks for the well wishes!  I asked about the spray here in TN because in Huntsville, AL where I moved from, they used it.  However, when I asked about the spray here, I was told that they thought it had been banned; therefore, people only have the cream to use.  I would much rather use the spray so I can continue to spray it on and I will request it just to see what they say.  Thanks again for the well wishes and I will let ya know what happens.

Tammy

Argh...  That's quite a wait.  I'm always wrecked from lack of sleep by the time I get to the day of the surgery and would just rather be done with it ASAP.

"Tick tock tick tock tick tick."  -   six word story by Neal Stephenson
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:32 AM »

good luck and I think you will do fine
I got one in my lower hand on the side of my wrist and it did not take
so I had another one done high up on my arm
now I am glad to get the fistula in by upper arm due to the way it looks
sleeves can almost cover all of it - but it is getting bigger
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »

I may have found something, but can't view it. Still having problems watching flash player movies for some reason. Didn't know I had a problem till trying to watch okarols video.

I will try my school's computer to see if it is worth posting. But I changed the search parameters in Google and tried different names. So far I have found 2 possible videos if I could watch them.

Even if you are not able to view them could you perhaps send them to me anyways to see if my Aunt & I can view them?  Just a thought..........thanks again!  I hope you had an OK day at school!  aaahhhhh School..........those were the days, for me!!!   Like the country song says, "You're gonna miss this" and I DOOOOOO!!!!!!   :-\

Personal Note:
Google Advance settings - Any Lnguage and File Type: Shockwave Flash(.swf)
Search Term: watch video of a arteriovenous graft surgery for dialysis access filetype:swf
change back settings to previous settings on school computer before logging off

TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »

Twirl & Mercurial,

I too am soooooo ready to get it over with.  I was just thinking this morning that I am tempted to call and see if I can move the surgery up but I better not because my Aunt & Uncle are taking me to the surgery and it might mess up their schedules to just up and say, "lets go have surgery tomorrow!"   ;D   Anyway, you know the biggest thing I am dreading is the freaking IV!!!!  I know, I know, I know the IV is nothing compared to what the needles will be like for dialysis but I haven't gotten to that hurdle yet...........I am still at THIS hurdle of the freaking surgery!!!!    :puke;  I will probably ask them to give me that shot (forget the name of it) to numb the place where the IV will go.  I know that kinda does not make sense either to get a shot to prevent another "shot" from not hurting as much but hey!  whatever hurts less, ya know?  Oh well, I am  :rant; so I will hush but don't ya, when ya nervous just seem to rattle on and on?    ;)  Thanks for letting me share!   ;D

Tammy

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »

The results I came up with were not sctual movies, just documentation in flash format. So I did some more research and just came up with more information about the ty[pes of access, CT scan movie of a fistula. I will ask the question on Yahoo Answers, maybe someone will know there. My brain is fried looking at small print at school.

Sorry

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010