I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 09:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Renagel side effeccts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renagel side effeccts  (Read 3214 times)
PD Wife

« on: August 22, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »

Has anyone had side effects with Renagel?  My husband has been having vomiting and diarrhea which I think coincides with when he switched to Renagel from Phoslo.

Kate in Dallas
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:47:51 AM »

I've been on it for nearly 6 months (Renegel 800) and no problems whatsoever... it's been fantastic for me.. My phosphate is always under 1.0 now!! wonderful control.

Sorry to hear your hubby may be reacting to it :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
PD Wife

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:49:53 AM »

Oh, it's done a great job of controlling his phosphorous.  I'm just trying to figure out if it's making him sick.

Kate in Dallas
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »

Yes, I was shitting myself to death!  I took more immodium than Renagel!  I switched to Phoslo and never shit again!  So, I took half time Renagel and half time Phoslo and was just fine.  Now, I'm on Nocturnal and don't take any binders.  What a relief!

karen547

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »

I notice that I burp a lot after taking it lol.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

my husband could not take it on an empty stomach.  as long as he had some food in him, he did not have problems.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
PD Wife

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »

My husband takes it with meals.  We saw the nephrologist today and he said since his phosphorus level is good we can try cutting down or eliminating the Renagel. 

Kate in Dallas
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »

I could not take renagel for same reasons, vomitting and diarrhea  :thumbdown;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »

For me it was indigestion ! Im now trying Phosex., but its only my first day on it , so too soon to tell.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
sickofbeingsick

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »

I take 4 Renagel 800's with every meal for a few years now and never had a problem with it. I'm so sorry your hubby is having a hard time with it. Talk to the doc about another alternative--with all you have to go through with kidney failure it's just not worth it to have to feel worse than you already do. Good Luck to you and best wishes to your hubby.
Trikkechickk

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

My Renal Dietian said I can't take Renegal as I have scarring (narrowing of the tubes) from Crohn's disease.

Anyone out there taking this and have my situation?
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »

Hubby took renagel for a few years when he was in center with no probs. Then he started nocturnal and didn't have to take any binders. Last summer we went on vacation and he was going to have a couple of treatments in center so they told him to take renagel..  he got so sick. Had a really bad belly and stomach sick.  Hasn't taken one since.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
PD Wife

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »

The scarey and frustrating thing about this is that IF it's Renagel causing all the problems (vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, numbness to the point of can't walk and falling down) why wouldn't the nephrologist or the ER docs have said that's what it could be?  I only got clued in by another thread on this site which led me to research it on the internet where the side effects are clearly listed?  His neph knows he's on it and when we went to the ER for this problem I gave them a typed list of all his meds which included Renagel and the dosing (5/day).  It's frightening and disappointing!   :rant;

Thank you all for your responses.  If it ever becomes clear that it either was or was not the Renagel I'll post it here.

Kate in Dallas
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »

According to my doctor side effects dont exist, or at least thats how im made to feel !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
PD Wife

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

from drugs.com (or drug.com? I can't remember):
Renagel side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
severe stomach pain or constipation;

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

feeling like you might pass out;

sudden numbness or weakness anywhere in your body; or

wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing

Kate in Dallas
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

Has anyone had side effects with Renagel?  My husband has been having vomiting and diarrhea which I think coincides with when he switched to Renagel from Phoslo.

When I first started I had stomach problems like bloating and loose stools but as time went on it got less and less.  Now I take RENVELA and am experiencing the same sort of symptoms.  My P went down, though.

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »