I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 04:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What do you wish your family understood about kidney disease?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you wish your family understood about kidney disease?  (Read 42360 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

My Husbands Brother, a very Educated Man, came to visit us, last April. He wanted us to come Visit them in May. His Words were " We can go out to Dinner, everynight, We can go Deep Sea Fishing, there is a Party on the Beach, every Night" I pulled Him into the Kitchen and said, " Ron, can't do any of those things, He has Dialysis and other Issues, it's hard for Him sometimes, to get from Room to Room " My Brother-In- Law, looked at Me and Said, " You know what the Problem is here, YOU, don't want to have any Fun", they left and He has not Talked to my Husband since. Seven Months Ago.  Sad.  If it was My Sibling, I would be on this Site, learning all I could. Sad.

And who could have known 2 months later your hubby would be gone?  :cuddle; His brother missed out on "fun" just being together.
Families can be a great source of support, or a real pain in the A$$.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2011, 02:10:16 AM »

My Husbands Brother, a very Educated Man, came to visit us, last April. He wanted us to come Visit them in May. His Words were " We can go out to Dinner, everynight, We can go Deep Sea Fishing, there is a Party on the Beach, every Night" I pulled Him into the Kitchen and said, " Ron, can't do any of those things, He has Dialysis and other Issues, it's hard for Him sometimes, to get from Room to Room " My Brother-In- Law, looked at Me and Said, " You know what the Problem is here, YOU, don't want to have any Fun", they left and He has not Talked to my Husband since. Seven Months Ago.  Sad.  If it was My Sibling, I would be on this Site, learning all I could. Sad.

And who could have known 2 months later your hubby would be gone?  :cuddle; His brother missed out on "fun" just being together.
Families can be a great source of support, or a real pain in the A$$.

Just thinking the same thing Okarol...Mizar thinking about you and hope you are finding comfort with your hub's passing....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Brightsky69

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »

We need the same marketing team that the breast cancer people have. Breast cancer stuff is everywhere.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Enginman

Have Been in Dialysis for just over 1 year

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2011, 09:16:51 AM »

I have read all of the posts in this thread, I can agree with all of you. My family is understands most of my needs, I help my son in his welding shop must every day when I get tired I just set down till I can go some more. If I have a bad day I just stay home, he understands and we just do the next day what we were going to do that day. in the last couple of months before the company eliminated my job and I was forced to into retirement/disability my coworkers would ask me "What are you going to do" i would say to them that "I was going to live Happily Ever After" and I am!!! CKD has it's up's and downs as you all know but with God's help and a lot of perseverance!!! I am doing OK. When people ask me hoe I feel I tell them that "I'm in Pretty good condition for the condition that I'm in".  Best I can say is ride the bull when you can and when you can't set in the stands and cheer the guy that can.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »

Everyone must just understand that ALTHOUGH I look fine - I am NOT. I am still as sick as I was a year ago and I will be sick until I get a transplant and then I will have another set of problems.

I was removed from the church's prayer list and I asked "why" I was told that I look so good they thought I was fine. I replied that I am still very ill and that nothing has changed , in fact I am worse than what I was as the effects of doing Dialysis is taking its toll. (depression, heart problems, joint pains, parathyroid ,guilt, Low blood preassure,low HB, cramps and lots more)

So I just wish that friends and family (as well as people at my church) must realise that this disease is NOT curable and it will not dissapear because I look better. It is a LONGterm disease.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Steve-0

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

Heh.  Yeah, it's funny.  I lost about 25 lbs over the past couple of months - and I wasn't trying to lose it.  I've just been sick - yet people are always saying "Wow! You look great!"

and I want to reply "I'm dying!"

Sigh.  Glad I was fat before I got sick.  Fat people just get skinny.  Skinny people just up and die.

~Steve
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »

i've got a friend that i see every now and again. he asks "besides the kidney thing, how're doing"  he gets it, most people don't.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »

i have people tell me all the time, "you look great!" like dialysis agrees with me or something...stupid

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »

With you on fat people just get skinny, Steve: I'm thin &people think I'm fit. A bit in reserve  is a good thing when your health is on a fine balance.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:20 AM »

I agree with the posts in this thread - the tiredness is something I really wish they understood - so that when my brother's children have UTTERLY overwhelmed me and i retreat to bed after lunch, I am not being unfriendly, unloving or rejecting - I am just absolutely exhausted.
But very most of all, I wish when people say "how are you" they don't only want to know about the state of my kidney, and my urinary rate, but actually want to know about ME - if only they understood that I am bigger than a kidney, and while much of my life might be structured around whether I pee or not, but that does not mean it is ALL I am....!
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Have reread this thread - it is so full of how life is with ESRD. And loved the products with the 'Duck Fialysis' logo - very clever! I've just had a few health dramas and everyone keeps telling me how good I look. That's only because two weeks ago I looked awful!  :rofl;

Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:30:15 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »

Being one of the (seemingly) few who functions well on dialysis, I don't have a problem with people saying that I look well. Thats because I am.
I'm not sick, I just happen to have kidneys that don't work, but it's a minor inconvenience in the broad scheme of things.

Henry it is not that it totally ticks me off that people say, "oh you look great!" what makes me upset it that when people say that they are really thinking in their mind something along the following lines....

1. "hey dialysis must not be that bad look how great she looks." (We all know dialysis sucks and you have your good days and bad days)

2. "she/he must not have an urgent need for a kidney if dialysis is doing such a great job. (who doesn't want a chance to get off the machine?)

3. "Well they don't look that sick they need to work" (some days you feel like you can work, some days you can't)

People equate looking good with being healthy....I am of the mind set that people need to know how serious and life consuming not having kidneys are...it's not a walk in the park....dialysis ain't for sissys!

I am glad that you have a more uplifiting positive outlook on not having kidneys...maybe I will get their eventually....
xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2011, 07:03:27 AM »

That having kidney disease and being on dialysis doesn't necessarily mean its an old people's disease! I'm under 40 and everybody says, "Oh, you're so young to have that" It can strike anyone at any age! :rant;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:14:46 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »

I agree - dialysis, especially haemodialysis, is not for sissies! And Henry, I often say if you have to have an organ fail - make it a kidney.  I'd stay on PD forever if I could. 

Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »

As a caregiver, I feel as though I need to know all the in and outs of dialysis and transplant, but it's always changing. I wish our family and friends understood that this is a lifetime illness, it affects all parts of your life, that it isn't going away, but we do the best we can.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »

I wish my family understood that I have no idea when I will receive a transplant.  Since none of them (and there are a lot of them!) have taken the time to even inquire about being tested, I am waiting for a cadaver donor.  No matter how many times I explain how the cadaver donor list works, they just can't seem to get it through their heads that it's not first come, first served.
malaka

« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

As far as day to day life is concerned, dietary restrictions.  I wasn't being "picky" when I didn't eat the mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving or the pumpkin pie.  Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce (with a little homemade gravy) were just fine, thank you.   I know you worked hard cooking the other things, but they weren't on my "OK" list.  So I didn't eat them.  Including the home baked whole wheat bread or whatever brownish bread it was.   

Because I don't look sick, they don't think I'm sick. Hey, I don't feel sick now, either, that I've adapted to hemodialysis.  But I am, and always will be, sick.  At least until I get a kidney transplant.

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

it sure is frustrating, even more so when you tell them many times over that you cant eat that, but they make it anyway and you dont have any other option but to eat it. and then they wonder why you dont feel well.....

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »

I've given up being tactful, or even nice in some cases, when people ask me how I'm doing, or when I'm getting a kidney... the only people I won't give the gory details to are my grandparents, since they are in their 80s and I don't want to upset them.. I have no problem now telling people that I get stuck with needles the size of drinking straws (ok, they're not that big, but they're pretty damn close), or showing them the black, swollen lump on my arm where the nurse missed the vein.. I want them to know that what I do to continue living is no walk in the park

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Hazmat35

« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2012, 05:31:53 AM »

Not so much my "family" but my "family" at work.  On Dialysis days, I start my day in the office at 5:30 AM.  Which means, I'm up at 4:30 AM, getting ready and driving to work.  On normal days, I start @ 7:00 AM. 

I work a full 8 hour shift including a 1/2 hour lunch, and then go to my in-center treatment @ 2:45 PM.   I do feel guilty about leaving, to go to my treatments when my co-workers are still working, but then again, I came in to work, while they were still under the blankets. 

But I constantly hear, every M . . W . . F. . "there he goes, working a 1/2 day again.  This must be his 2nd or 3rd 1/2 day this week".... I am so sick and tired of hearing this. 

I put in (and my boss knows it, so I'm good), but, I put in 70+ hours Monday - Friday and then come in on the weekends, or take work home with me nightly and on the weekends. 

I am the first one to be able to take a joke, or be the butt end of a joke.  I don't mind it at all.  Lord know's that I can "dish it out", so I surely had better be able to take it, too!  And I can, I've got big shoulders.  But it REALLY bugs the HELL out of me to hear that.   >:D

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »

I'd look at anyone who said that and ask if they wanted to trade..

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »

One of my neighbors is a bit annoying. I ignore it since I can't  :Kit n Stik;

I have a landscape company taking care of my yard and landscaped areas now. She's made a couple of snide comments about it.

She also keeps trying to push plants off on me. She decided I should dig my daylilies out and replace them with the variety she has, and she keeps trying to give me other perenials from her garden. I'm not planting anything until after I get a transplant and get some energy back, and even then I'm going to choose my own plants.

She has some sort of weird pod thing growing in her yard and she laughed at me when I refused to eat it.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »

I have a landscape company taking care of my yard and landscaped areas now. She's made a couple of snide comments about it.

There is a couple who live two doors down from us.  I've seen him very occasionally (I don't even know his name), but I've never seen her.  They have a landscape company come take care of their yard, and they also have Peapod service delivering groceries.  It wouldn't even occur to me to make snide comments as I would give anything to have so much practical help!  I can't help but wonder if she is quite ill, but all the evidence points to a pretty big problem.  I'm sorry, Deanne, that you have to deal with such an idiotic neighbor.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »