I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Red Cross Blood Shortage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Cross Blood Shortage  (Read 3609 times)
KT0930
Elite Member

« on: August 18, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »

Mods, I think this belongs here, since it sort of involves transplants, but maybe off-topic? I'm not sure.

This Friday the company I work for is hosting it's second annual Red Cross blood drive, and we're running shorter on donors than we did last year, so our Red Cross rep sent me some information regarding the current shortage. Unfortunately one of the pleas she sent me involves a local transplant candidate. Apparently there's a patient at a local hospital awaiting a transplant, and the hospital has requested 100 units of blood be on hand before they'll proceed with the surgery (or accept an organ, I'm guessing). The local Red Cross has only been able to supply 27 units.

How sad is this that the issue keeping someone from a transplant is not the lack of an organ, but a lack of blood! When donations are the way they should be, they average about 500-600 donors per day in the Atlanta area. Right now, they'd have to average 900 a day just to make up for the shortage.

I actually heard someone in my office say to someone else who wasn't sure about donating, "Well, I like my blood right where it is, in my body". Idiot! Thankfully, the other one decided to donate anyway - his mom is one of my good friends.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »

I've been diabetic since 13, so they never wanted mine, even when I got old enough.  I used to volunteer for the drives, though, and make cookies - best I could do!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »

The local Red Cross director is a good friend of mine and I've made a lot of donations but they still won't take my blood. Wonder why?

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kelliOR

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »

This may sound naive, but how can a hospital be designated as a transplant facility without blood bank reserves ???

What if there's an incoming trauma to this facility's ER at the time of transplant ?

I don't understand this.......
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:55:36 PM by kelliOR » Logged

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »

I've been diabetic since 13, so they never wanted mine, even when I got old enough.  I used to volunteer for the drives, though, and make cookies - best I could do!
I asked about donating prior to transplant and when I told them I was diabetic, how long, which insulin I was using, and when I stopped using Pork/Beef made insulin. I was told I would have to wait so many years before I could donate because I had used the Beef/Pork made insulin. Now they won't take me because of having a transplant.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »

This may sound naive, but how can a hospital be designated as a transplant facility without blood bank reserves ???

What if there's an incoming trauma to this facility's ER at the time of transplant ?

I don't understand this.......

I believe hospitals typically have enough on hand for traumas, but they like to have additional on hand specifically for a transplant when one is being performed. Also, in this area, we have two hospitals that are designated as transplant centers (for adults), Piedmont and Emory. There is also a Level 1 trauma hospital (Grady). All are fairly centrally located, so if there is a trauma, I think the patient is automatically taken to Grady.

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

By the medical definition of an 'organ,' blood is an organ every bit as much as a kidney is, yet it is perfectly legal to pay for live donors to give blood, but not to pay donors to give a spare kidney.  Is that because even healthy people are likely to need blood some day, so the supply cannot be allowed to fall short, but only 'sick freaks' ever need a kidney transplant, so it is all right to leave us stranded without enough kidneys to save our lives by transplant?
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »

The blood center calls me all the time. I am B+. I called them to see if they would come to Dustin's car show what a better way to get people to donate ;)
Lori/Indiana
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »

Our blood drive was yesterday, and while we fell short of our goal of 45 donors/35 pints, we came close. We ended up with 29 pints. I think close to 45 attempted to donate, but of course people are turned away for various reasons.

We should have had more people attempt to donate, but the printer in the bloodmobile broke down for about an hour or more, so they were needing to do everything by hand. Due to that, we fell behind in the schedule, and at the end of the day people needed to leave to get home/other jobs/new babies/etc. There were about 5 of our employees who left before they could donate.

~~~~~~~
Wallyz

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »

By the medical definition of an 'organ,' blood is an organ every bit as much as a kidney is, yet it is perfectly legal to pay for live donors to give blood, but not to pay donors to give a spare kidney.  Is that because even healthy people are likely to need blood some day, so the supply cannot be allowed to fall short, but only 'sick freaks' ever need a kidney transplant, so it is all right to leave us stranded without enough kidneys to save our lives by transplant?

C'mon stauffenberg, it' s not that we're sick freaks. It's that we did it to ourselves.  We deserve our illness and we need to suck it up and take care of ourselves. ;)
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »

By the medical definition of an 'organ,' blood is an organ every bit as much as a kidney is, yet it is perfectly legal to pay for live donors to give blood, but not to pay donors to give a spare kidney.� Is that because even healthy people are likely to need blood some day, so the supply cannot be allowed to fall short, but only 'sick freaks' ever need a kidney transplant, so it is all right to leave us stranded without enough kidneys to save our lives by transplant?

C'mon stauffenberg, it' s not that we're sick freaks. It's that we did it to ourselves. We deserve our illness and we need to suck it up and take care of ourselves. ;)

Of course we all did something wrong. Some of us probably removed mattress tags. Maybe we were in an express lane and had 12 items instead of 10. I could go on and on with reasons we deserved Kidney Disease.  :sarcasm;

Back to the original topic. I know around here if you get blood, they would like you to organize a drive to replenish the supply. I wish I could donate. The rules have gotten so strict, which is good. So many people I know can't donate because of foriegn travel.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »