I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Medication expenses -- curious
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medication expenses -- curious  (Read 1521 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »

What makes one medication cost so much more than another? I understand the research cost part of it, but how is it that research costs can't be spread out among different medications to balance out the costs? Are the ingredients for some things that much more expensive? If so, then what makes some ingredients so expensive?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

My understanding about this issue is that when a company develops a med and it is still under patent, they try to get as much profit out of it as possible because once the patent expires and it goes generic the cost usually comes down since other companies can then produce it and competition in the marketplace brings the price down.

I'm sure there are many other factors I'm not aware of.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »

One of the main factors not mentioned is greed, even to the point of murdering the people who cannot afford the cost of medicines inflated in price to the point at which the wealthy stockholders' agents have determined is the critical point for milking the most money out of the drug.  Many drugs for which astronomical sums are being charged today were developed through research funding largely provided for free to the companies by the government, and yet once the drug companies are able to get a patent on a medication because they spent the last research penny to top up the government's 99 cent investment to make a usable pharmaceutical, they behave as though all the research costs were their own which had to be compensated by vulturing profits off the sick and the dying.

Every other civilized country on the planet imposes strict price restrictions on the drug licensing agreements which permit companies to sell their pharmaceuticals there, so drugs everywhere outside of America are mercifully inexpensive.  The US government doesn't bother doing that, since it is really just an agent for the rich corporations that fund election campaigns, and not the genuine representative of the democratic will.

Rant over.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »