I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  checklist of items?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: checklist of items?  (Read 5018 times)
devon

« on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »

Hey y'all!

Is there a checklist of items that you would highly recommend that one takes to afternoon dialysis?  Perhaps this has been covered before.   I will look to Okarol for her referencing skills to point me in that direction if it exists.

-Devon
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

Stephen always took a blanket and small pillow.  He would always get cold.  He also took books, laptop, cross-word puzzles, iPod on various days. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »

Depends on what your center offers.  Mine had pillows, so I didn't need that.  A blanket is helpful.  You need to find out if they let you use a cell phone while you are hooked up.  Take a snack if they will let you. Something to read, music to listen to, a laptop if they allow that as well - some centers have web access, or you can just play games and watch movies. I was perpetually cold, so I took a microwavable heating pad to keep me toasty.  If your center won't bring you fluids, you may want to bring something to drink as well.

Wear comfy clothes, and plan to wear the same weight clothes every time - it helps keep a consistent dry weight.  If you start out in jeans, keep coming in jeans.  There's a lot of weight difference between shorts and jeans, and it will mess up your fluid levels. I always took my shoes off for the weigh-in, that way I didn't have to worry about the weight difference there.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »

I take a pillow to sit on. I also take my laptop with all accessories, CD's, DVD's, puzzle books, cell phone, Sprite, a sandwich and a couple of snacks and a remote for the TV.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
breezysummerday

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »

My s/o takes earphones and a blanket. 
It's one of those blankets that folds into a pillow.  
Check to see if visitors are allowed and at what times.
Get the phone number/address/fax of your center.
See if you can get a copy of current labs.  Great for
comparing later on down the road.  Keep in mind your
your dry weight
might need some adjusting at first.  When Ray first
dialyzed he was a little foggy.  So, do you have a
driver, maybe for the first couple of times?
And if you are going to snack, don't forget your binders!
A pack of chewing gum to stick in your pocket.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:36:02 AM by breezysummerday » Logged

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
Robby712

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »

two pillows, one for my back and one for my stuck arm to rest on.
Blanket in the winter
IPod/-headphones for the TV
Book(s)
Magazine(s)
Cell phone
Hat (to put over my eyes if I want to attempt sleep)
Whatever else you think you could use to help pass the time...

Good Luck!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »

Ear plugs or headphones can be useful, given the nonsensical conversations the people sitting next to you and their visitors are likely to be having.  After you have heard the cousin of the hard-of-hearing patient next to you shout for the third time, "Walter, I'm telling ya, ya wrecked your kidneys by eatin' too many garl dang watermelons, that's what ya did!!" you'll appreciate my advice.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »

Blanket  (I like a fairly thick microfiber, easily washable one)

Buckwheat or Tony Little pillow for fistula arm to rest on.  I make a channel in the pillow and my arm cradles in there.

Another U shaped travel pillow (inflatable, although they can get quite warm, OR one with little beads in it)  to keep head from flopping around side to side.  Really helps with naps but also watching TV or reading.

Entertainment items (whatever you like to pass the time, but have some variety)

Food and drink.  (Be sure to calculate what you drink into how much fluid to remove and remember that the actual weight of what you eat may affect your end of run number.)

Optimism and an attitude of facing each treatment as something to  be endured with grace and style.  (This is hard to bring every time but I try).

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Meinuk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »

Have you had a tour of the unit yet?  You'll see what amenities they provide and that is when they'll give you a run down of the rules - (and then depending on what shift you are on - how strict the rules are)

The should start you out slow, a short run the first couple of times.  If you aren't in distress, be careful when challenging your dry weight (as you can tell from all the posts - cramping sucks - as does getting lightheaded after your session).  Factor in your Blood Pressure when figuring out how much fluid you have on you - this may seem like a lot in the first month, but you'll get the hang knowing how your body reacts and your numbers quickly.

A first dialysis session has been described as 20minutes of terror and 3:40 minutes of boredom.  Plan for both.

If you don't trust someone with your fistula, don't let them touch you.  (be firm and polite, you have rights)  Infiltrations are not the norm, and an experienced nurse should be the first person cannulating you.

Everyone has had great suggestions for your check list - I hope that your first few session go smoothly, and that you weight drops, and you feel better.

Best,

Anna
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:17:22 PM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »

quilt
book or magazine to read
ear phones
snack - if allowed
cell phone
pencil or pen
paper
work from school when I went after teaching school+
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »

Ear plugs or headphones can be useful, given the nonsensical conversations the people sitting next to you and their visitors are likely to be having.  After you have heard the cousin of the hard-of-hearing patient next to you shout for the third time, "Walter, I'm telling ya, ya wrecked your kidneys by eatin' too many garl dang watermelons, that's what ya did!!" you'll appreciate my advice.

Do they really talk that way in your country Stauff?  :rofl;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »

I didn't know that units allowed visitors. I can just see one of my cousins holding my sites for me.  :rofl; :rofl;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »

My unit allows visitors.  They can stay for the whole time if they choose.  They'll even let you have the private room occasionally if you're having a special visit and want to watch the bigger TV together or  have more than one person in at a time.  The visitor would generally sit in the little waiting area for hook up and take off but they'll let them watch too if they want to see what goes on. 

No one has yet been intrusive with their conversations but I don't mind listening or talking to other people's visitors anyhow.  I prefer being in the main room with all the action because I find the time goes faster.  I'm also pretty good at tuning out what I don't want to hear when I don't feel like involving myself with it. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »

We didn't find out until a month into Stephen's dialysis that his unit allowed visitors.  They don't make it very conducive - just sort of pull up a chair. 

devon

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »

Wonderful suggestions!  Thanks to all of you.  I felt much better for a second... then I felt nauseated from thinking about all this.   I've pushed back against dialysis for so long and it's just overwhelming to imagine that I will be starting in a week.  Frankly, I'm frightened but I take some comfort in knowing I'm not alone.  Many, many have gone before me.  I'll just try to walk in your footsteps as much as I can.

Thanks again.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »

You might not want to walk in mine, Dev. Some of the first ones wobbled a bit. Good luck.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »

I just joined Netflix today in preparation for nocturnal dialysis.  I signed up for "one DVD at a time, but unlimited monthly".  Apparently, as soon as I mail back the DVD they immediately send me another off my list.  I'm so excited!    :clap;

I'm definitely going to buy a sleeping mask and earplugs, a warm blanket and a comfy pillow.  Can I also bring something like potpourri or a candle (not lit, of course) to smell in case there is a foul smell in the air (like someone farting?).  I'm weird about smells!  Maybe I could just bring Menthylatum and place under my nose???

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Meinuk

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »

Devon, you could walk in my shoes, but sometimes the heels are high and they pinch your toes.....  I prefer being barefoot! (and you can dialyze at home barefoot - I do!)

All joking aside, I found IHD a month after I started dialysis, and I can honestly say that it changed everything, I'm just glad that there are so many here that can pay it forward.  Pretty soon, you'll be a pro at in center and you'll be helping people through their first days.

And don't forget to add your story to the thread describe your first dialysis  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2179.msg43197
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:25:00 PM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »

One vicodeine thats it. Out like a light  ;D ...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »

1) DVD Player filled with a movie that is good enough to make me forget I'm at treatment.

2) Noise cancellling headphones for the jerk to the left blasting telenovellas and the schmuck on the right farting and snoring simultaneously.

3) Cursing vocabulary at the ready because the machine is going to provide massive amounts of pain and misery.

4) Flirting skills at maximum for the short haired blonde in chair 13 and the adorable neckish tech's in scrubs.

5) Full prescription of Vicodin, you know, just in case #3 comes to fruition.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

I look like I am running away from home most nights.

My List:
Blanket- to cover me
sheet-to cover the chair
Eggshell mattress cover-I am there for eight hours now.
headphones
book
newspaper
magazine,- if I can find one I like
booklight-got to get one
snacks- in a lunch bag
cup of ice
sense of humor.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »

That sounds like a pretty complete list, Kit.  I have subscribed to a few magazines (celebrity trash mags) to take with me.  Maybe a Cozmo, as well.

I also purchased this really cool thermos.  It comes with the three lidded cups and a fork and spoon.  The fork and spoon are in a holder that is attached to the side of the thermos.  I love it!  I can't wait to use it!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:51:52 PM by kellyt » Logged

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

Do the containers fit inside the Thermos?  It looks awesome.  I may need to get one.

I currently have snacks in a school teachers day lunch pack.  I use glad sandwich bags to put everything into. Now I realize...

Here are my snacks:
Bag of pita chips
Bag of cereal- frootloops or such
A cut up apple
String cheese for the protein weakness.

I usually do not eat all of this but it is nice to have when the hunger hits.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »

Yes!  They fit nicely inside the thermos.  You can also take them out and fill it with ice or fluid and carry the containers separately.  It was only $9.99.  It also has a nice carry strap.  It's really cool.  It's made by Polimes.  I didn't find it on-line under Linens & Things, but I did when I searched for Polimes. :bunny:

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

What kind of snacks or dinners do other patients bring to nocturnal, Kit?  Have you noticed?

Have you been able to adjust your diet yet?  I heard that nocturnal allows you to have a better diet plan, as well as more fluid.  Is that totally true?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »