I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  VERY SCARED
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VERY SCARED  (Read 17006 times)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »

If he's a fighter, he will make it. Just help him be strong. Life ain't always fair but it's still good.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
st789

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »

Add me to the list of praying for Mike's recovering.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

Hang in there.  Lots of prayers for you and him are headed your way!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Brightsky69

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »

Marley,

I am so sorry to hear about Mike. I am glad to hear it sounds like he is getting better. I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for his recovery.  :bestwishes;

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »

I am praying for you and Mike and asking God's loving arms and angels around you both.  I have been where you are and it is not easy, all you can do it take a day at a time.  You need to take care of yourself so you can remain strong for Mike.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »

:cuddle; Thinking of you both  :cuddle;

EDITED: Fixed smiley error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:33:31 AM by okarol » Logged

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »

holding you and your husband in my thoughts  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Marley

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »

:flower;

My husband is coming home tomorrow after he gets his dialysis and I can hardly wait to get him here!!  He will be on vancomyacin to treat the heart infection for a few weeks until it's gone.  He is still feeling pretty weak and is sleeping a lot (yea!).  He hasn't slept good since he started dialysis and I don't know how he can function on such little sleep.  Once or twice a month, I'll pull an all-nighter with him and I pay for it big time.

Thank you everyone for all the support you've given me and for your prayers. 

Marley  :guitar:

Marley
PD Wife

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:43 AM »

I'm so glad to hear he's improving and coming home.  Just a word to the wise - my husband was on vancomycin in April in the hospital and about 6 weeks later he came down with c.diff as a result.  It is to be avoided at all costs, trust me!  We were not told about the risk of that happening.  Since then I've learned that probiotics might have helped prevent it.  Please ask and/or do your own research.  It has taken a terrible toll on his health.

Good luck!

Kate in Dallas
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »

I'm so glad to hear he's improving and coming home.  Just a word to the wise - my husband was on vancomycin in April in the hospital and about 6 weeks later he came down with c.diff as a result.  It is to be avoided at all costs, trust me!  We were not told about the risk of that happening.  Since then I've learned that probiotics might have helped prevent it.  Please ask and/or do your own research.  It has taken a terrible toll on his health.

Good luck!

We second this! Since the first go 'round, we have used probiotics (lactobacillus is what I believe it is), specifically "Lactinex" which is over the counter but kept in the refigerator so you have to ask for it. It comes as chewables or powder. The chewables are tasty.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
DAUGHTER

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »

:bestwishes;

Comfort and Strength is what I pray for you and Mike

God Bless
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »

So glad Mike is coming home :flower;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »

Happy homecoming. :bestwishes;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

I sending up prayers that he continues to do well and rejoicing with you on his homecoming!  :yahoo; :clap;

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Marley

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »

Nobody told us about the risk of getting C-diff from the vanco---I'll be calling his doc tomorrow.  THANKS PD WIFE!!  Since that is over the counter, can his doc still write a scrip for it??   I can't believe nobody told us about the probiotics, I'm getting madder the more I think about it!!!  He could all the help he can get right now and they don't tell me????   Probiotics are an immune system booster, right??  So it helps a body to heal?  I'm gonna do a little reading about that.     

Don't know if I mentioned it but he also has an eye infection we were told came from the the endocarditis.  He saw the opthamologist today and his vision is improving, it was wonderful hearing that!!  Since he is light sensitive in that eye, we're keeping a patch on it. 

He is still pretty weak and tired from being so sick and since he's come home from the hospital, he is needing my help getting up off the couch and he hold onto my forearm for support.  I'm using muscles I didn't know I had and they are not very happy, lol.  I'm hoping he gets his strength back soon cuz I'm not in the best of shape eiether and am going to need my Rituxan infusion soon......l

He goes back to the dialysis clinic tomorrow and life can get back to normal, well; normal for us anyway.

Marley
 :guitar:

Marley
PD Wife

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 07:13:10 AM »

I get angry all over again just thinking about how very very ill my husband was with c.diff and it was probably preventable. Like you, nobody even mentioned the possibility of it happening.  My understanding is that broad spectrum antibiotics like vancomycin given in large doses like you get in the hospital not only kills "bad" bacteria but also the "good" flora you need in your gut.  Probiotics are supposed to replace the good flora to help fight off c.diff.

Good luck to you both.

Kate

Kate in Dallas
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »

OK, I guess I am stupid but could someone please tell me what c. diff is?   I was given vanco this past February and did not know anything about c. diff????!!!!   Thanks!

Tammy

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:06 PM »

so glad your situation is better- I can hear how much you love him  :flower;   :cuddle;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
circleNthedrain

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »

Hey TynyWonder...hope this helps a little.  C diff is a severe infection of the colon, often happening after normal gut flora is eradicated by use of antibiotics. The C. difficile bacteria naturally resides in the body, but becomes overgrown

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »

eeeeewww that sounds horrible!   Thanks for the explanation!

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Marley

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:48 PM »

Tiny Wonder---I'm cracking up girl----"eewwwww"   :rofl;  You got that right girl!!!

My 'ol guy had another esophogeal (sp?) echo AND an angioplasty this morning and it showed the infection is a tiny bit smaler!!!  The heart surgeon won't be there until Monday, but the heart DOC told us that he will most likely do the surgery on Tuesday.  He told us it's a 4-5 hour surgery and if they find hubby needs anything bypassed, they will fix it then.  The heart-lung machine scares me and I know they will have to stop his heart.  Has anyone ever had this type of surgery done before?????  Mike told me they said there is a video he can watch but he turned that down right away, he would much rather not know what they are going to do.  Not me---I'll watch it tomorrow---maybe. 

He is a lot calmer about the surgery now and is feeling a little stronger and less tired.  well, maybe still pretty tired, but he did get up and walk down the hall today. 

See you guys???  Didn't I tell you what a fighter my man is??  I still get that panic feeling in my gut but it's a little quieter the last couple of days.  Who said there are no more miracles in the world, I'm living with one of them!!!

Marley
 :guitar:

Marley
breezysummerday

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 11:39:21 PM »

:grouphug;

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 05:34:56 AM »

Mike sure is a fighter and Marley you are also. Isn't love grand?   :) All the best to you and Mike on Tuesday I will be praying that things go well.
 :grouphug;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:05 AM »

Marley,

During the fall of 2007 my dad, who was 72 at the time, started sliding downhill.  He had no energy all fall and by Christmas he could barely walk.  His face looked purple.  It turned out that he had some sort of infection in his heart valve. (although I think they decided that it wasn't C. diff).  Somehow he had passed a stress test during the summer and as a result, no one was looking for heart disease. Another problem in my mind is that he goes back and forth between NY and Florida a lot and has two different sets of doctors.  As a result of this, I sometimes wonder if any of them feel "ownership" of him as a patient. In any case, the infection wasn't discovered until after he had a minor stroke in February of 2008, which likely was due to a piece of the infection breaking loose.  Luckily for him it was a very minor stroke which does not seem to have had any lasting effects.  During the surgery they replaced a heart valve and he also needed a double bypass.

But here's the good news - he felt really, really great after he healed up from the open heart surgery.  His color went back to normal and he gradually got stronger and stronger until he was himself again.  A number of friends have told me the same - that as scary as open heart surgery is, it made a huge difference for their parents in terms of how they felt and were functioning.  And, I have one friend who had to have bypasses when he was still in his 30s, due to genetic predisposition to clogged arteries.  He is now in his mid-50s and also doing really well.

I hope it all goes well.  If they start thinking about delaying the surgery for some reason, please ask them if there is a risk of stroke.
 :grouphug; :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Danally

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »

My dad had open heart surgery a year and half ago. They did his without stopping his heart. (There is two ways to do this surgery) He came through the surgery and made a quick recovery. Good luck!!!!!!!!
http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/heart/services/surgery/beating-heart.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »