I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Transplant bond forged on waters across Ontario
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant bond forged on waters across Ontario  (Read 1161 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:09 PM »

Transplant bond forged on waters across Ontario
Dragon Boat team shows true spirit of competition

Posted By BOB VAILLANCOURT, THE SUDBURY STAR
Updated 16 hours ago

"I was worried I would never live the life I thought I would live," Debbie Lanktree says after learning almost 20 years ago she would need a kidney transplant.

It didn't turn out that way. Saturday, she was on Ramsey Lake competing with Team Transplant in the Sudbury Dragon Boat Festival.

The team is made up almost entirely of transplant recipients, said captain Donna Fleming.

"The majority of us are transplant recipients -- vital organs, livers, kidneys, lungs, heart and bone marrow. And this year we opened it up to corneas. That is a new thing."

The team has been together about 11 years, with Lanktree joining it three years ago.

She learned of the team while competing in the World Transplant Games in London in 2005. "I did the 3 km, the 1,500 metres and played badminton. It was through people there that I heard about the dragon boat team."

Besides the camaraderie, the main focus of the team is to show others what can be accomplished following transplants, said Fleming.

"I just knew it would be a good thing for donor awareness," she said of her reasons for starting the team.

When she first thought of forming the team, Fleming said it took a little time. But eventually the project took hold with the team practising and competing on a regular basis, mainly in the Greater Toronto area. "We have that transplant bond and it's a strong bond. We are family."

While Lanktree was dealing with the emotions of having to undergo the operation, both her brothers were being tested to see if they could be suitable donors.

"It was horrible learning I had to go on dialysis. That was really the frightening part. I was 29 and I was afraid I was going to die," said Lanktree. "I was so heartbroken that I would never have children."

Advertisement

At the time of her diagnosis, she was on the track team at university. After the testing, it was her brother, Jim Pettigrew, of Sudbury, who provided the kidney.

The operation took place Oct. 2, 1999.

Throughout the testing, said Pettigrew, his main worry that after the testing the operation wouldn't be successful.

It was. Making the trip to Sudbury to cheer her and her team on was Lanktree's husband Richard, and the couple's two children, Dylan and Caitlin.

While Lanktree was a big part of bringing the team to Sudbury for the Dragon Boat Festival on Saturday, another was Ken Campbell who is currently on dialysis. His cousin, Brad Leonard, is a Sudbury resident.

The two say they really didn't have too much of a selling job to convince the team to come to the Nickel City.

The biggest obstacle, said Lanktree, was getting them past the five-hour drive from Toronto. But her belief that the team members would find a welcoming atmosphere and great venue for a dragon boat race was proven correct.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1113256

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

I just ran across this post and was glad to hear that Debbie is still doing well.  We used to both do volunteer work at the KF in Toronto.  Good for her and the dragon boat team.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »