I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Mental Stagnation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mental Stagnation  (Read 5818 times)
American Airman

« on: July 06, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »

THis is about my 4th post since joining a few days ago.

I mainly joined to ask questions...

I've been on dialysis for 3 years.  I've had symptoms for longer than that.

I've always heard about the physical limitations being on dialysis puts on you,
but what about mentaly? 

Yes, I fight the blues every now and then... I don't think I've ever been out right depressed...
but I don't feel as menally sharp as I use to. 

I'm a reasonably bright guy.  I did what was not an easy job in the AF. 

For those of you "in the know" my tech school was at Goodfellow AFB.  If you can figure out what I did, please don't post it on this board.

I just don't feel as sharp as I use to.  I can't recall dates or numbers as fast.  I have a hard time catching details. 

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is this related to dialysis or am I just getting more stupid as I age?

Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »

I have noticed the same things in myself
I have read that PDK can do that
I can not remember past student's names
that has never happened to me before
I will be on dialysis three years to the day on this Halloween
I can tell a difference
mentally as I see myself change physically, I decline
just do not have the energy or the I give a damn is gone
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »

Toxins can cause confusion.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »

Another one here ! Sometimes you just get too tired to even think !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
LightLizard

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »

you could take up a musical instrument.
also, computer games can sharpen the mind, too. at least, they improve eye/hand co-ordination,
which requires attention.
dialysis robs us of our energy to pursue our previous occupations and interests, often.
this itself can lead to a kind of 'stagnantation' that can only be offest by aquiring new interests of some kind.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »

How are your labs? Are you getting good clearance?
Uremia (toxins in the blood removed by dialysis) can cause mental confusion.
Jenna struggled quite a bit before and during dialysis. Since the transplant she's doing much better with concentration and focus - things that she had lost for 2 years pre-dialysis and 3 years on in-center hemo. But her labs always looked ok, so the doctor was never concerned.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
st789

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

You are not alone!!
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

American Airman.... I hope you liked where your tech school was cause that is where I live  :clap;  

I am a sign language interpreter.  My parents are deaf so I sign all the time.  There at the end before I got my transplant, I couldn't come up with the right signs for words!  To me signing is like speaking english.... so not being able to sign correctly was a big wake up call!  I knew I had some confusion, but when it affected my signing skills I knew it was getting bad.  

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
American Airman

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »

How are your labs? Are you getting good clearance?
Uremia (toxins in the blood removed by dialysis) can cause mental confusion.
Jenna struggled quite a bit before and during dialysis. Since the transplant she's doing much better with concentration and focus - things that she had lost for 2 years pre-dialysis and 3 years on in-center hemo. But her labs always looked ok, so the doctor was never concerned.

My labs are generally ok.  My clearance is good.  Sometimes I sneak a bit to much cheese... but I've since gotten that under control.
I'm in ok health.  I've not exercised since I left the AF, and I hate running... but I still miss it.  I can tell how weak I've gotten since I left Basic training and the 3 times a week I PT'd with my flight while I was active duty.

The frustration comes from not being able to concentrate or focus on what I'm doing.  It also gets me that I don't have as good attention to detail as I use to. 

I'm hoping a transplant will help with that.  Second.. my wife calls me grumpy alot.  She gets mad that I don't feel like doing alot, and to be fair, I she does more than her share around the house.  But it takes all I have to make it through work on a given day - I'm the provider in the household. 

I just hope that a transplant can help with my energy, focus, and mood...

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

I've actually had mental confusion all my life but it did get worse when I was in Stage 4. After I started dialysis, I was back to being just a normal dumb hillbilly and haven't had any recurrences.

Donnia....my best friend has been in deaf education for about 35 years now and has been a teacher and administrator in several parts of the country. I learned sign language from him.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Many of us on dialysis can relate to the mental slow down you describe.  I think the "sharpness" does come back after a transplant, at least that was my experience and I've heard several people say the same thing.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »

I also noticed progressive intellectual decline over the years I was on dialysis.  During the first few years I was able to publish some substantial academic material, but then during the last of my eight years on dialysis I finally had to give up academic writing, since I simply could not focus sufficiently to organize the material I was preparing.  A transplant will restore your intellectual capacity. Keep in mind that dialysis only replaces 10 to 14% of normal renal function, so even if your lab results are adequate for a dialysis patient, your physiology is far from optimal.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »

Keep in mind that dialysis only replaces 10 to 14% of normal renal function, so even if your lab results are adequate for a dialysis patient, your physiology is far from optimal.

Perhaps try nocturnal hemodialysis--much better renal replacement therapy.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
American Airman

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »

I'm on PD right now.  It's working fine for me.

It's little things that get me.  Attention to detail is so important in the military and jobs that involve working with the military.

I love my field, but It frustrates me to no end that I can not focus on my tasks that I have been given.

My nurse (SHE IS AWESOME, BTW)  tells me that given the fact that I've been called three times since May 10th, I'm probably very close.

Is there any food that I can eat (Or avoid) or vitamin or something else that is out there that can help me focus better?

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:46:10 PM »

Try the over-the-counter supplement sulbutiamine, which is a form of vitamin B1 which crosses the blood-brain barrier and supplies more thiamine to the brain than you can get just by taking the vitamin in ordinary form.  It has been recommended as a general remedy for asthenia, which is the decline in mental focus and physical energy found in chronically ill patients.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »

Nocturnal dialysis really made a difference to my husband.  His thinking is much sharper.  It's much, much better than 3 times a week.  He does 7 hours 5 nights a week.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »

Try the over-the-counter supplement sulbutiamine, which is a form of vitamin B1 which crosses the blood-brain barrier and supplies more thiamine to the brain than you can get just by taking the vitamin in ordinary form.  It has been recommended as a general remedy for asthenia, which is the decline in mental focus and physical energy found in chronically ill patients.

I am going to have to try this because ever since I turned 50 I have been in a slide.......

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »

Welcome to my world. I lose words and names at the drop of a hat.  I will have a word on the tip of my tongue and then it is gone.  Also I live grumpy half the time and then am okay the other half.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
keith

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »

your not alone i think that it happend to a lot of us.

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
American Airman

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »

American Airman.... I hope you liked where your tech school was cause that is where I live  :clap; 

You live in San Angelo?  How do you stand the water?  :puke; Every new Airman, Soldier, and Marine that drinks that mess for the first time spits it out!

I had to go to the base bx and use the filter there to by a gallon of non-concho water.

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

American Airman.... I hope you liked where your tech school was cause that is where I live  :clap; 

You live in San Angelo?  How do you stand the water?  :puke; Every new Airman, Soldier, and Marine that drinks that mess for the first time spits it out!

I had to go to the base bx and use the filter there to by a gallon of non-concho water.

LOL.....  ahhh good ole' San Angelo water.... you know I used to swear that was what started my renal failure!

How do I stand it???  I got reverse osmosis installed in my house and I have it filtred even more at the kitchen faucet.... ummumm  good! 

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
mark m

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »

It is the toxins that build up in the blood, specifically uremia. I just signed up for a nocturnal study and will have to take a cognitive test before and after starting nocturnal dialysis. This study is to prove to the government that this modality of dialysis is more beneficial for the patient. I will let you know about the results... I have have felt a huge improvement at work going from 3 days a week in center to 6 days on Nxstage at home. They have told me that nocturnal is another step up. I feel even better than I did during my transplants...

Life is good.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »