I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Scheduled for 3-way transplant on 7/10
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scheduled for 3-way transplant on 7/10  (Read 2897 times)
dlady64

« on: June 19, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »

We're working with the Alliance for Paired Donations.  My husband will donate his kidney to someone in Buffalo, NY and they have someone who will donate to a recipient in Florida and then they have a donor who will donate to me in Atlanta.

The logistics are frighteningly complicated.

I've been keeping myself from even believing it was actually going to happen, so as not to get excited and then disappointed--again.  However, we just got back from Buffalo yesterday and my husband passed his evaluation with flying colors.  The other two donors have also passed, we're just waiting on the final conference to get the green light.

My mom will be coming from Oklahoma to here (Atlanta) to be with me while I'm in the hospital and I hope to stay in a nearby "Transplant House" the week after surgery so we don't have to commute every other day for tests.

My question is this:

Lots of people are asking how they can help.  I've never done this so I don't know what to ask for.  I've been trying to read transplant stories, but haven't found much on the first few weeks after surgery (except that I should anticipate and warn everyone about the steroid affects).

Any words of wisdom?
st789

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »

Drink plenty of fluid and enjoy every moment you have with the transplant.  Best of luck to you and all parties involved.
vandie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »

When you get home, take all of the help that is offered; shopping, cleaning, errands.   
Use your friends while you are healing.

Take loose clothing to the hospital, granny panties and shifts.  Thong undies and a catheter are not compatible. . . .
I learned the hard way.  You need to be comfortable.   

This is a wonderful opportunity.  Please keep us updated on your incredible journey.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »

Good luck to you and enjoy your transplant.  :cuddle;

Bring some things to do, laptop, books, crosswords... things to pass time, as it can be boring in the hospital. Not everyone is up to doing things afterwards, but I was.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »

I only spent a few days in the hospital after my transplant, then took a 26-hour plane flight, and was back working full time two weeks later.  Not everyone is able to return to normal activities that quickly, however, and some transplant centers advise patients to take three months off before returning to work.

Warn friends and family that you will be a bit grouchy because of the prednisone levels, especially if you are on the usual induction regimen of 50 to 60 mg/day.  The only good thing is that this dosage is usually tapered off quickly, in most cases just in time before the patient murders someone.

The main irritation post-transplant is the medicalization of your life, since you will have to have lab work done perhaps as often as twice a week, in addition to frequent appointments for x-rays, ultrasound, and meetings with the nephrologists.  Fortunately this only lasts for about three months post-transplant, and then you are pestered progressively less often, until after the first year or so you hardly have to deal with the medical profession more than the average person.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Hmm... My body must like prednisone or something, because for me being on it for over 7+ years, doses so high I had to have Solumedrol (IV prednisone).. and I never once got grouchy... I just got AVN, deterioration of the bones, from lack of blood flow...and moon face, which because of the length I was on prednisone, I have permanently. :(  I would of rather dealt with mood swings, but never had too.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and all the others involved in this delicate but exciting arrangement.  I look forward to hearing how it all goes.  I agree with what others have said, take any help that's offered, especially shopping, cleaning and other out of the house errands that might involve early unnecessary exposure to germs. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »

Hope all goes well!  :thumbup;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:30 AM »

Sounds like the planets are aligning  :clap;  I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!

As far as what to expect - My husband had double nephrectomiestwo months before his transplant and in his words the transplant was "a breeze" compared to the nephrectomies.  The incision was far less painful.  In fact, he only ever had localized pain meds after the transplant.

He was incredibly hungry and as soon as they gave him the go ahead for food, the SICU nurse told me I could bring something in for him.  He wanted Vietnamese tofu and rice noodles from one of our favorite restaurants.  Rarely have I seen anyone enjoy a meal that much.

He read a ton of books while he was there (6 days altogether) and when he got home.  Luckily friends gave us piles of books so we didn't have to buy them or check them out of library.

Hopefully you have family and friends who can give both you and your husband support and help during this experience.  My husband's donor (my brother-in-law) healed quickly, but still they have to take it easy for awhile. 

And when you get home, if your husband is your primary caregiver, he will likely need help.  Caregiving can be tiring even if you haven't had surgery.  I think my major meltdown from the exhaustion of the last few months was about 3 weeks post-transplant.

Here are a few other things I wished I had done before we left for the hospital:

Clean out the fridge, or get someone to do it for you.  Get rid of anything that is older or in any way questionable.  You won't want to use it after the transplant.  Wash the interior and leave it bright and shiny.  That way when you come home you can put fresh food in and not worry about moldy things lurking nearby.  Who is going to go to the grocery store for you when you first get home?

Spray disinfectant, use bleach wipes, etc. on doorknobs, appliance handles, etc.  Or maybe you are a fabulous housekeeper and this is not necessary.  I have a teenager, 1 dog and 3 cats, so no one would never eat off the floors in my house.  But I found that I starting feeling better after all surfaces had been hit once with something antiseptic.

Think now about what else you would like to have when you get home.  I think we mostly focus on what is needed for the hospital.  But, you have some time to plan ahead.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Jill D.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »

Wow, this is so exciting - all the best to you and the other recipients and donors!
Everyone has given you good advice. Cleanliness and eliminating exposure to germs is very important right after transplant since that is when you are still on high doses of immunosuppresants. Since both you and your husband will be recovering you might have someone come over and do some housework - especially vacuuming and laundry. Having someone help with shopping is a good idea too. For me personally I preferred making my own food as opposed to having food brought in mainly because I was very particular about food preparation. I avoided crowds and situations where people were sitting close together like movie theaters and sporting events - even church (my church is a very "huggy" church, which normally is very nice, but I stayed away for about 2 months)
I was a bit moody for the first couple of months, but a wasn't a raging bitch  :), and things settled down as the prednisone dose tapered down.
All the best to you and your husband!!!!!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

:thumbup; dlady64. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. This is soooooooooooo exciting.  :yahoo; Let anyone help that offers. Taking out the trash, walking the dog, changing kitty litter, going to the post office, getting prescriptions filled, going to the bank, grocery's are a biggie, driving you and your husband to appointments, laundry, taking care of your yard, changing your bed, or bringing you a meal. Lord, I'm getting tired already. Take a pillow, robe and some socks to the hospital with you. I bleached just about my whole house when Len has his transplant, I carried wipes and sanitizer in my purse and car, I might of gone overboard some. Please keep us updated.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »

Wonderful news hon! I will keep all of you in my prayers!!!!! Good luck!
Lori/Indiana
keith

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »

:2thumbsup; i wish u de best of luck

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »

Please keep us posted. Everyone wants to hear all about this.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »

This is excellent news!!! :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;  You will all be in my caring thoughts and prayers.  Your IHD family is with you all the way.  Of course, you will continue to keep up posted.  Great news!!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »

Wow - it's great to hear this - keep the faith and I am thinking really POSITIVE thoughts!!!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »