I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 02:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A failed transplant patient has questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A failed transplant patient has questions  (Read 3476 times)
keith

« on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »

As many of you may already know i started a support group for dialysis patients and their family's. Well today i got a call from my old units social worker telling me she gave my number to this lady and she went on to tell me her story an that her and her husband are at their wits end. I called and left message still waiting for her to call back. DOES ANYONE HAVE any thoughts on how i should go abut talking and helpping this couple. I'm also letting her know about IHD and hoping that she will join us

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
st789

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:58:34 AM »

I am interest to know.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:06:45 AM »

Wish I could help. Mostly just listen to them and then do research like you are now.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:25:42 AM »

Keith, if they will attend the group then they will get support and ideas from the other patients there as well as suggestions about how to follow up with nurses, doctors and other members of the medical team.  The support group cannot replace the medical team or provide answers for everything.  It's more about helping them to feel less alone with their struggles and to gain encouragement about how to be persistent with the professionals who might have specific answers to particular questions.  They may be feeling totally overwhelmed, confused about all the information that ESRD patients have to manage and the power of any group is to help reduce those feelings of isolation and nobody really understanding what they're going through.

Good luck with the group.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »

As many of you may already know i started a support group for dialysis patients and their family's. Well today i got a call from my old units social worker telling me she gave my number to this lady and she went on to tell me her story an that her and her husband are at their wits end. I called and left message still waiting for her to call back. DOES ANYONE HAVE any thoughts on how i should go abut talking and helpping this couple. I'm also letting her know about IHD and hoping that she will join us

I'm also a failed transplant patient.  If I can do anything let me know.

meadowlandsnj@aol.com
Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
kevno

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »

There are a lot of failed Transplant patients at IHD. All you can do is as what sluff said. Listen to what there worries are. Then give the best advise you can. Tell them about IHD and that there are patients on that site who try to give advise/help. We are in the front line of dialysis as we are on dialysis. Good luck Keith hope you can help this couple.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »

They will go through the same steps as any loss.  They are grieving right now.  The last thing they want to hear is "you can get another one."  This is a huge loss and a huge disappointment and it is "OK" to say that.  It is OK to say I HATE DIALYSIS! 

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »

I think that people who have lived through it personally would be best to assist.  I agree with Rerun that it will be like any other loss, but the experience of someone who's actually had this particular loss would be extremely beneficial if it were me.

Good Luck.  What a wonderful service you are providing.   :thumbup;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

I think that people who have lived through it personally would be best to assist.  I agree with Rerun that it will be like any other loss, but the experience of someone who's actually had this particular loss would be extremely beneficial if it were me.

Good Luck.  What a wonderful service you are providing.   :thumbup;

From experience you do go through a grieving process.  And having a living donor (my mom) it affected her also.  I think it did her more damage than it did me.  I used to say when I had the transplant I'd never do dialysis again.  Here I am three years later on dialysis.  MY mom, however, took it abnd is still taking it harder than me.  She went into a depression when I went back on dialysis--knowing that they don't last forever.  She still is kind of depressed about it but I bounced back pretty well.  I knew the last year of it it was going--no change of meds kept my creatnine down and I had protein in the urine.  I had time to process it and plan a strategy of how to deal with it.  I didn't go into it thinking everything was going to be 100% perfect and I was right, it wasn't. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
kevno

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

Losing my transplanted kidney was not a shock for me. It never worked properly, i was always told it was going to fail :-\ So always knew I had to go back on dialysis. The transplant lasted nearly seven years, at the end I was very ill. I knew I had to go on dialysis, but i agreed to CAPD which I was on for 13years never wanted Heamo. Been on Heamo for 7years. HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!

Every failed Kidney Transplant as a different story. People have different feelings about losing their transplant. It is going to be very hard for you to find the words to say to them. But I am sure you will. :thumbup;
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:32:42 AM by kevno » Logged

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »

Keith.  :cuddle; What a wonderful support you are providing for folks. Keep up the good work.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »

speak from your heart
you are a wonderful person
with much to offer
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

speak from your heart
you are a wonderful person
with much to offer
I second that...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

You are offering a great service.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »

I was Marvin's living donor in 2000.  When the transplant failed (contracted same disease -- IGA Nephropathy) in October of 2003, it hit me hard.  Marvin was okay with it.  He went right back to hemo without batting an eye -- just something he said he had to do.  I struggled with it -- even though I knew going into it that it wouldn't last forever.  We were hoping, however, to get more than 3 years and 3 months out of it.  About a year after he went back on dialysis, the transplanted kidney started causing him problems, and he had to have it removed.  That was even harder for me.  It's hard to explain it, but it felt like a piece of me (even though I had given it to Marvin and considered it "Marvin's kidney") died before the rest of me.  That's a strange feeling -- this organ that used to help sustain my life, then was a miracle in a miracle operation for Marvin and kept him healthy for three years is now dead.  I remember thinking, "If they take it out, there's no chance it will ever start working again for him."  DUH !!  It was gone and would never work again -- I knew that, but I don't think I had accepted it.  You just keep hanging on to anything.  I asked for the kidney after it was removed from Marvin (don't ask me why -- at that time, I think I thought I would bury it -- sounds strange, I know -- but you're not really thinking straight when all that comes crashing down on you), but the hospital wouldn't let me have it.  They said -- since they're a research hospital -- that they would use it for research.  I guess that was the best thing.

I have found that most failed transplant patients just want to talk -- so, whatever it is they want to talk about, go with them.  They want someone to listen.  And, the words "You'll get another one" usually don't offer much comfort at this time (at least it didn't for Marvin).  With time (it's now been almost five years since all this), my disappointment over the failed transplant has eased and I have hope again. 
keith

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:49:08 PM »

The lady finally came to her first meeting and she just vented for almost the full two hours , but she said that she has not given up and she is trying to get back on the transplant list and she also said that she needed something like this to help her and her family and i think that she may have even cried while she was listening to our feed back it was a brake through for her.  :thx; to everyone for giving your :twocents; it was well needed  :thx; :thx; :thx;

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »