I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nocturnal and food intake effect on weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nocturnal and food intake effect on weight  (Read 5531 times)
Panda_9

« on: July 16, 2006, 12:52:51 AM »

I have been on nocturnal for 7 months and over that time I have gained about 6kg. Has anyone else experienced weight gain? I just weighed myself before and I am 1kg heavier than I should be, going by my fluid intake. Can food weigh that much? I have been a bit of a piggy today  :-\ I'm just worried now about judging my weight gain tonight before I go on the machine.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:33:25 AM »

Amber, are you the only one here that is on Nocturnal Hemo?  I'm thinking about it only in clinic.  Anyway, can you challenge your dry weight?  If you are feeling better on Nocturnal, then you are probably eating better.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »

Amber, are you on PD?  I am, and i was told that the dialysate has so much sugar that it pretty much holds all the calories you are given for a day so if you are eating more than you should you will gain the weight, another thing is the salt intake, it is so true,  i kept creeping up the scale, not by much, but my PD nurse told me to cut out all salt, my body was holding on to it (fluid), so i did and i started getting excellent results, even went down 3 kilos.  But then i started eating salt again  :-\  If it is so bad, why do they make it taste so good darnit... But good luck to ya and keep us posted, i am curious as to what your nurse or docs are going to tell you.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bear

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM »

Amber, are you the only one here that is on Nocturnal Hemo?  I'm thinking about it only in clinic.  Anyway, can you challenge your dry weight?  If you are feeling better on Nocturnal, then you are probably eating better.
NO she isn't!!! - remember me???  ;D
I was 142kg (you non-metric types multipy by 2.2 for lbs ;)) when I first started haemo, as I was sucking in the glucose when I was on P.D. (I was 120kg when I started that). I got down to 128kg, but more recently I'm coming off at 131. But I'm telling myself it's all fluid &trying to get back down. But as others have stated elsewhere, when you're on nocturnal & have no dietary restricitions..... ::) ;)
'course, it's winter here too & 'comfort food' is on the menu...plus we have a new breadmaker!  :)

waves...Bear
anja

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »

NO she isn't!!! - remember me???  ;D
I was 142kg (you non-metric types multipy by 2.2 for lbs ;)) when I first started haemo, as I was sucking in the glucose when I was on P.D. (I was 120kg when I started that). I got down to 128kg, but more recently I'm coming off at 131. But I'm telling myself it's all fluid &trying to get back down. But as others have stated elsewhere, when you're on nocturnal & have no dietary restricitions..... ::) ;)
'course, it's winter here too & 'comfort food' is on the menu...plus we have a new breadmaker!  :)
Hello Bear!  You don't look that heavy...lol... Winter sure can make a difference in activity and diet  (but I am sure the breadmaker is making for a happier difference...)  How are your outdoor temperatures right now?  Wish we could switch?  We had 100 degrees F. yesterday....ugh!!!  Humidity is not my friend and the hot flashes are having a heyday!  It sounds like nocturnal is working out well for you ~ sounds scary to me, but I like that the dietary restrictions are relaxed, like for pd.   Happy winter and breadmaking!   Anja
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »

I would not mind some cooler weather over here. We were up to 111 degrees on Saturday.  Talk about melting!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:41:35 PM »

I always find it so strange to hear that temperate climates can be so hot in summer.  I am in the tropics and it never gets to 100.  The most is 95 (and that would be outstanding).  Our temperature range is very restricted.  Year round it is between 75 and 90.  We call it cold here (at least THEY call it cold) if it reaches down to 75.
But I am HOT these days.  I find it rather unpleasant.  Today was 85.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Panda_9

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »

Amber, are you the only one here that is on Nocturnal Hemo? I'm thinking about it only in clinic. Anyway, can you challenge your dry weight? If you are feeling better on Nocturnal, then you are probably eating better.

I would definitely give it a go rerun, no questions about it. Since Ive been on nocturnal I am very very reluctant to go back in-centre for whatever reason. I would probly prefer to do nocturnal incentre, then at least you have nurses there keeping an eye on you, instead of having to monitor yourself, which can be very stressful. Which is why Im going in-centre next week  :-\  In regards to dry weight, I have put it up a kilo and my BP has now come up, but it goes up to 150/110 when I hook up, which is a bit worrying. I am slowly going to bring my weight back down, probly just 1/2 a kilo. I really need to get off my ass and excercise.

I wish I could still do PD goofinya! But I have never been so sick in all my life when I was on PD, so hemo for me it is. The only good thing about PD was I lost 30kgs.
I love comfort food, but Im not going to bother making soup, as Id rather have a drink of something, than a bowl of soup. Plus I have to watch what I eat if I want to lose another 15kgs so I can have a transplant.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:33 PM »

Amber, what do you mean you are going "in-center" next week?  Is that just temporary?

Is Nocturnal every night or just 3 nights a week (Hemo)??

Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 04:25:05 AM »

Sorry rerun, I'm actually going in-centre (5hrs x3) because I am becoming increasingly stressed and getting mild anxiety attacks. It is a lot to do with my BP dropping on the machine, which is now fine but Im still paranoid about it. Its nothing to do with the nocturnal itself, I am just getting too worried about everything, Im losing sleep, and I am stresssssed out. I am never usually a stressful person, but now its just all built up and I really really need a break. I have had endless problems with dialysis full stop, and Im just getting sick of it, and when your stressed and anxious, its not easy to be dialysing on your own. My partner is here, but he is not trained for the Dx.
Theres other stuff that Im worried about too which just adds to it all. Please dont let this turn you off nocturnal, as its the best thing thats happened to me since dialysis. Its just when u have more than one problem arise on home Dx, its pretty stressful. I would be fine dialysing through the day, but considering I do 10hrs, theres no way I could sit that long. And if your BP drops while you are on nocturnal (which it shouldnt), then you cant go to sleep.

I do every second night or if I want I can do 4 nights a week.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 12:02:27 PM »

Is Nocturnal every night or just 3 nights a week (Hemo)??

Nocturnal is usually every single night if I know right (correct me if I am wrong but it being every night is what makes it better and easier on the body!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 12:04:31 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 05:07:59 AM »

I do nocturnal every second night but also have the option of doing it 4 nights a week. I couldnt handle it every night as I dont sleep in my own bed.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 11:45:57 PM »

I'm on nocturnal too and I do treatment every second night. I have put weight on in the last couple of months, but I was just putting down to winter. I have been on nocturnal for just over a year now, and at 1st I was losing weight, so really I think I have just been a bit of a piggy over winter trying to keep warm!

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »

doesn't nocturnal work better every night or is every other night just as good to get a good clearance?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 05:07:57 AM »

My clearances are excellent for doing it every second night for 10hrs. To do it every night you would need to do less hours, therefore its not as slow and gentle as 10hrs every second night. My bloods dont change a great deal between treatments, like they usually do when you are on conventional.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »

Ah okay! That makes sense!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »

Dont forget you can eat what you want too!
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 05:50:56 AM »

That is a relief.  I think I could go in-center every other night and sleep, but not every night!  Ten hours sounds LONG.  I guess I would sleep 8 of it.  I don't sleep 8 hours now.  I'm up and down.  My Neph says I'll sleep better with cleaner blood.

Bear

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:36 PM »

Hello Bear!  You don't look that heavy...lol... Winter sure can make a difference in activity and diet  (but I am sure the breadmaker is making for a happier difference...)  How are your outdoor temperatures right now?  Wish we could switch?  We had 100 degrees F. yesterday....ugh!!!  Humidity is not my friend and the hot flashes are having a heyday!  It sounds like nocturnal is working out well for you ~ sounds scary to me, but I like that the dietary restrictions are relaxed, like for pd.   Happy winter and breadmaking!   Anja
Hmmm, now what's that in 'real money'?...quick calc: take away 32; divide by 1.8???....er...38C? yeah, pretty warm. I did actually see U.S. temps (among others) on BBC World's weather. We'll be getting our share of those sorta temps by Xmas, so no need to swap, eh?   :)  Like Florida, we're always humid hot too. My Dad's been coping with U.K.'s heatwave with a new fan & wide open windows at night, but he says they've been a dry heat too, so not too bad. I rang him last night & they're 'down' to 26C from the 30s.
As for not looking too big it all depends on the angle of view!  ;D ::)       ..Anyway, last couple of sessions I've gotten back to my target dry weight of 128.5kg. Hopefully in a few months, as it warms up, I might get that down a bit too.

Quote error fixed - Bajanne2000\Moderator
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:20:29 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

waves...Bear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »