I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:23:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bowel Problems related to dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bowel Problems related to dialysis  (Read 15323 times)
Steve-0

« on: May 06, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »

Does anyone else suffer from horrible bowel problems related to hemodialysis? (or PD for that matter.  I can't speak for that, as I've never been on it.)

I have horrible problems with constipation and overly dry and hard stools that tear me up, causing over-production of muccus and sometimes blood.  I also suffer from a lot of gas during treatment.  I feel bad, cause I'm rippin' farts daily during treatment, and I'm near scared I'm going to cause some people to pass out!

~Steve

(I apologize for the graphic nature of the post, but I'm sure that most people around here are used to graphic conversations about bodily functions.)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Steve, Oh lord, my husband knows exactly what you are talking about. He lost his kidneys because of 2 bad resection surgeries. He had an addition 19 surgeries at a different hospital and now only has half his small intestines and half his large intestines and about 3/4 of his colon. While he was on hemo dialysis, it was horrible had much trouble he had with being constipated. He took a laxative every single night and had gas so bad. He had a transplant 9/07 and was in the hospital 5 times after because of serious bowel problems. He was seen by one of the east coast top GI doctors and they started him on a drug called Amitiza (it holds moisture in the bowels) and also takes stool softeners every night. He is still dealing with some issues but not to the extent he was during dialysis. You get so dried out and can't drink so it is a double whammy. Ask you doctor about the Amitiza and see if they will prescribe it for you. I hope you get some relief soon.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »

The fluid restrictions required by hemodialysis are toxic and have nothing to do with what is naturally good for the body, but just what the inadequate process of thrice-weekly hemodialysis demands.  One of these evil symptoms of not being able to take enough fluid into your body everyday like a normal person is constipation.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

i think we all probably have that problem because of the meds we take. for the first year of dialysis i used i used a stool softener (unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment) however after a year i had to take 3 or 4 of them a day and i didn't like that. i've moved on to prune juice or bran cereal. even though they are high in potassium they work and my lab levels are still good. because of heartburn and gas i take neximum which is working well. discuss it with your doctor.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

I can rip some farts during dialysis,too.  Oh dear!  There went another.  It is embarrassing some nights.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:21:42 PM »

Get a wool blanket so the smell doesn't get out. 

Wheew Kit I guess.  AHHHHHHH   :puke;

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »

When I feel one coming on I just holler for one of the nurses to come pull my finger.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »

When I feel one coming on I just holler for one of the nurses to come pull my finger.

you are a regular Steve Martin
or Cedric :rofl; :rofl;
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »

I have problems too post transplant.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »

Actually I've never had any bowel problems with dialysis other than the occasional toot. Maybe it's the Egg McMuffin I eat on the way in.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
devon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »

Steve, FYI,

Have you tried stool softeners, like DucoLax?  That might help the constipation.  I know how painful that is.  I recently had a terrible bout of Diverticulitis and went through similar episodes.  It was like passing a pine cone, BACKWARDS!  Ouch!  The DucoLax helped quite a bit.  Also for the gas, perhaps a dose of Bean-O might help reduce it?  Just suggestions.  I hope you find something that works.

-Devon

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »

Definately try a stool softener daily before an actual laxative (Watch out- dulcolax makes a stool softener, and a laxative).  Laxatives can cause trouble when taken all the time.  Your constipation may be caused by dehydration.  If you think about it, they dry you out on that machine and fluid is what makes stool soft.
rookiegirl

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

I have problems with constipation and gas since I started PD 7 months ago.  I never had this problem until now.  A month ago, my constipation was so bad I couldn't drain and was in a lot of pain.  The Dr prescribed me Sorbitol to flush out my bowel.

Now, I'm taking Colace (stool softer) in the morning and at night. Sometimes I feel like it doesn't work all the time.  So I take 1 tablet of Dulcolax at night when needed (twice/wk).  This seems to help me out.

As for gas, my Dr. told me to buy OTC anti-gas with active ingredient "Simethicone".  I went and bought the pharmancy's brand with this ingredient and it really help.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
nkviking75

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

I was put on a daily dose of Miralax years ago.  As long as I use it consistently, I'm regular.  It used to be a prescription, but now it's available over the counter.
mcjane

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »

Kitkatz, rerun & flip, you guys crack me up. ROFLMAO

steve, I think the suggestion to try Amitiza is a good one. Why not give it a try.
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 10:41:47 PM »

Yes, ducolax is good.. but every single time I take it - I get horrible HORRIBLE, like, really really bad stomach cramps --- but it does work.   I recently had to get a colonoscopy and along with that Go-Lytely stuff they make you drink, they recommended that I take a ducolax.  It was a while since Ive taken one and I forgot how awful the stomach cramps were from it..

A few years ago my doctor recommended Senokot - which is a laxative, but its much gentler on your stomach than ducolax.  I prefer the Senokot over ducolax.. - no cramps!  Just pop two pills before bed and you should have a movement in the morning.

And yes - miralax is great too (and doesn't taste all tooo bad).  I just prefer a pill laxative so as not to put on the extra fluid with miralax. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:45:05 PM by alrightstill » Logged

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
LightLizard

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

i vote for senokot too. no shit.
 ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »