I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  What's Behind The "Name"??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's Behind The "Name"??  (Read 42498 times)
mallory

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 12:25:11 PM »

Good for you Fighter. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks sluff :)
Great name btw, you have my vote for most original/funniest

I agree, Sluff, great name. 

Mine comes from a person I admire, George Mallory.  He died in 1924, while he was on Mt. Everest.  No one knows if he was able to reach the summit or if he died in the attempt.  Personally, I want to believe that he did make it and that he died on the descent.  Here's a quote from him that I really like:

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."

Now, how can you not admire that?  I think he was a great adventurer and that's why I use the name Mallory. 

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »

Remids me of another saying:

"I asked God for all things that I may enjoy life.......God gave me Life so that I could enjoy all things"

I read that after my Transplant. 

Anyway, nice name Mallory.

nextnoel

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:35 AM »

"Nextnoel" is the name I took on ebay because "Firstnoel" was already taken, and I figured I'd keep that same name wherever I needed a screen name.

By the way, I was not born at Christmas, although I think I should get a discount on everything I buy between Thanksgiving Day and Dec. 25.  :)  And as my reward/revenge, I  can be assured everyone will remember my name at least once a year!  >:D

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2006, 10:10:48 AM »

Good for you Fighter. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks sluff :)
Great name btw, you have my vote for most original/funniest

I agree, Sluff, great name. 

Mine comes from a person I admire, George Mallory.  He died in 1924, while he was on Mt. Everest.  No one knows if he was able to reach the summit or if he died in the attempt.  Personally, I want to believe that he did make it and that he died on the descent.  Here's a quote from him that I really like:

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."

Now, how can you not admire that?  I think he was a great adventurer and that's why I use the name Mallory. 

I have'nt viewed this thread for a while but wish I had.  Mallory, it shows me where your heart is at with life. Excellent quote and use of his name. It shows volumes of the kind of person you must be.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »

Matty cos no one calls me by my full name- Matthew, Boy cos I still act like a kid and MattyBoy is my user name on video games and finally 100 cos there  are 99 MattyBoy's registered on my ISP!  :2thumbsup;

SCOTLAND NO.1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

My name is Karol - with a 'K'
yep - just like the prior Pope.

It's always spelled wrong but never mispronounced!

When I first got email in 1999 I was gonna use karolwithak - but it was taken!

When I was a kid people used to sing a song to me. So I thought of
Oh Karol - but shortened it.

Here's the song:

Carol Lyrics
by Rolling Stones

Oh, Carol
Don't let 'em steal your heart away
Well I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

Climb into my machine so we can groove on out
I know a swinging little joint we can jump and shout
It takes you far back off the highway not so long a ride
You park your car out in the open you can walk inside
A little cutie takes your hat and you can thank her ma'am
'Cause every time you make the scene you find the joint is jammed

Oh Carol
Well I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

Yeah if you want to hear some boogie like the boys'll play
Hol' tight pat your foot don' let it carry you 'way
Don't let the heat overcome you when they play so loud
Yeah, don't the music intrigue you when they get a crowd
Yeah now you can't dance I know you would 'f you could
I got my eyes on you sugar cause you dance so good

Oh Carol
Why I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

Don't let her steal your heart away
Why I got to learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

--------------------

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »

my name is glitter-because I love all things that glitter....my kids go shopping for my birthday and they have three things they look for-smelly,shiny,or sparkly-and then they know they can't go wrong!!

like most guys my husband hates glitter all over the place.....so we compromise-I get to wear all the actual glitter I want on major holidays!!

and we are named Jack and Julie

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »

Well, I have been online...about 17 years now...and I have had dozens of names...here are a few:

The Church Lady, The Naughty Girl (shortened to Naw-tee eventually), Enigma, Amberose, Honey Pot...

One day I wasn't feeling particularly "treasured" so I called myself Treasure...and came  up wth the sappy signature, "The treasure you seek is within yourself..."

Treasure

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2006, 05:32:15 PM »

Paris -- it is the place I most want to be. Love being there - and now when days are bad, I go there in my mind--sitting by the Seine, walking through the Orsay, eating crepes in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, mass at Notre Dame, walking throught the tiny streets of St. Michael, eating little pastries on the Champs. I wanted my youngest daughter (23) to experience Paris so much, so I took her last year and she fell in love with a Frenchman while we were there!  They are still visiting and corresponding with each other- you just have to love Paris.    Now before you get the wrong idea --my husband has worked for the airlines for 38 years and the best benefit is flying free!  Not great pay, but we have had a chance to explore the world around us. I hate that this disease may slow down our traveling now that my husband is retirement age. I want to get in a few more trips, but it really is hard now. Just don't have the strength and energy.  Long explanation!!!  Check out my email address sometime -- I do love Paris!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »

Paris -- it is the place I most want to be. Love being there - and now when days are bad, I go there in my mind--sitting by the Seine, walking through the Orsay, eating crepes in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, mass at Notre Dame, walking throught the tiny streets of St. Michael, eating little pastries on the Champs. I wanted my youngest daughter (23) to experience Paris so much, so I took her last year and she fell in love with a Frenchman while we were there!  They are still visiting and corresponding with each other- you just have to love Paris.    Now before you get the wrong idea --my husband has worked for the airlines for 38 years and the best benefit is flying free!  Not great pay, but we have had a chance to explore the world around us. I hate that this disease may slow down our traveling now that my husband is retirement age. I want to get in a few more trips, but it really is hard now. Just don't have the strength and energy.  Long explanation!!!  Check out my email address sometime -- I do love Paris!

I know the feeling Paris but at least you had the opportunity to visit there. I know it's kind of like a consolation prize but for what it's worth I'm too tired to enjoy my passion of riding my motorcycle sometimes too. I get too cold in the fall to ride where I used to ride no matter the weather, I live in Wisconsin and i used to ride year round. Thanks for sharing your feelings, and now we know the story behind the name. You described your love  of Paris very well.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2007, 08:32:39 AM »

I can't say I LOVE Paris, but I love France!  I am a small island person, and though I love to visit big cities, I can't say I love them.  GIve me little country towns where you can still chat with the little lady in the épicerie (grocery), and the guy in the boulangerie (bakery), and you can walk along the river at any hour without worrying about your safety, and the only scare is a guy flashing from an upstairs apartment!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
shay_pcb

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »

My name came from what my mom calls me, "Shay" (short for Shannon) and PCB is where I live, Panama City Beach, FL
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2007, 06:14:24 PM »

saw this thread and wanted to join in
My nickname in High School was Box somehow my friends came up with that because my last name ends with bach. go figure. I finally became a man and I was born in '55 thus Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »

I just now read this thread, boy was I late.  :D

I wasn't creative, lol... it's my name, Angela, and my area code.  :P

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »

better late than never, or some such thing.  I think mine is rather self explanatory, but just in case you're counting, i have 3 and one half grandchildren.........think pink

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
renal30yrs

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »

I'm regretting how I named myself here.  Certainly last year was the 30th anniversary of my first dialysis but its not so anymore this year.  I'm wondering whether i should change screenname every year or just leave it and then change to renal40yrs in 2016.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:23 AM »

I'm regretting how I named myself here.  Certainly last year was the 30th anniversary of my first dialysis but its not so anymore this year.  I'm wondering whether i should change screenname every year or just leave it and then change to renal40yrs in 2016.
Coulda named yourself Renal76 or Renalsince1976 (wow that is a long time ago! My brother was born in '76).

Epoman probably could change it if you really wanted ;) You should Private Msg him ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
renal30yrs

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:12 PM »

Good idea! Thanks. :2thumbsup;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 04:25:03 AM »

Good idea! Thanks. :2thumbsup;

How about  " renalmanyyears"  it would fit for another 30 years or more.. JK
renal30yrs

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »

Thanks but I doubt it I can survive on dialysis for another 30 years.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2007, 03:31:31 AM »

Thanks but I doubt it I can survive on dialysis for another 30 years.

Hope Brother Hope.
renal30yrs

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2007, 03:34:20 AM »

Thnaks bro.  Maybe in our lifetime they might come with organ growing technology in a petridish.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »

Thnaks bro.  Maybe in our lifetime they might come with organ growing technology in a petridish.

:beer1;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2007, 07:50:05 AM »

I just read one or two posts and joined the site  straight away without noticing that people were using tag names. so that's why my own name appears. Should I change my name to a tag? I must say after I introduced myself on the site I did begin to feel a bit of a plonker when I noticed I was the only one useing my normal full name. :-[

Ken
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2007, 07:57:33 AM »

I just read one or two posts and joined the site  straight away without noticing that people were using tag names. so that's why my own name appears. Should I change my name to a tag? I must say after I introduced myself on the site I did begin to feel a bit of a plonker when I noticed I was the only one useing my normal full name. :-[
Well I think people use "handles" or "tags" as you said for security reasons. You don't know what kind of wierdos will stalk you ;)

You could always ask Epoman what your options are. What name are you thinking of?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »