I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  What's Behind The "Name"??
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's Behind The "Name"??  (Read 42493 times)
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

I live in beautiful Rutherford, NJ the heart of the Meadowlands. The armpit of America. Soprano Country.  Bruce Springsteen Territory.  Land of Taylor Pork Ham and Sabrett hot dogs two of out finest delicacies.   :P  The land of high hair and long red fingernails for women and Guinea tees and gold necklaces for men.   :2thumbsup; 
You Know You're from New Jersey When...

...you recognize or can relate to at least 10 of these:

Homey!!!

I got a 30  :2thumbsup;

I was born in Newark, grew up in Bloomfield, and as an adult lived in S.Orange, E.Orange, and then Orange before heading out. I had no exit on the Jersey Turnpike. My parents Christmas shopped at Two Guys and  took us down the shore (the Garden State Parkway was a parking lot on summer weekends and the water was so cold on Memorial Day!). My friends and I hung out at Willowbrook Mall as adolescents and the headed for the city as we go older - what an adventure, my first Star Trek convention in midtown Manhatten!!! And then we learned how to drive - traffic circles! As I remember, they were on Rt 22 and they were not fun for beginning drivers. We'd do whatever we were doing and then stop off at some diner or at White Castle (the burgers each had 5 little holes in them to allow the juices and the onions to circulate freely) or perhaps a stop at the Star Tavern for the best tasting, oiliest little pizza you could ever want to eat (an Orange NJ tradition along with Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs) before going home. And for breakfast a coffee (back then it was light and sweet) and a Taylor Ham Sandwich! Yum!!!

And, it was the ultimate culture shock when I headed down south and actually had to pump my own gas. I feel so spoiled when I travel back there and someone, frequently a cute young guy in a guinea tee, comes out and pumps it for me.

Thanks for the trip back in time.
 :clap;

Alene

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »

I'm just curious about the user names on this site.  What's the story?

cyco = a word they use for fans of the band Suicidal Tendencies.
bully = a reference to bull terriers, my favourite dog breed.

These are basically my two favourite things.

Therefore - cycobully.
Earlinda

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2007, 09:17:38 AM »

My given name is Earlinda.  My father's name is Earl and my mother put every single name she could think of with it to come up with Earlinda.  She has a knack for liking odd names.  However I can never do anything without getting caught.  LOL  The day I signed up for IHD I was having a time thinking of a nic that was different and clever.  I thought why not just use my given name.
keefer51

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:36 AM »

My real name is keith. My grandmother called me "keefer" Some of my family calls me keefer also. 51 is of course my current age.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »

I think ILOVEFLUId speaks for itself.....oh boy, am I thirsty

Each day at a time, one drink at a time (or two, or three...etc)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »

Aren't we all??  I am thirsty, too. I want a large diet coke with lunch today!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »

My first online experiences were with Compuserve in the early 80's.  I had to come up with a handle but had  no idea what to use. I was working as an engineer/ENG truck operator for a television station in Sacramento.  Our remote ENG presence was known as "Livecamera 3" so thats where livecam came from. 

I've been using it ever since in one form or another.  It is a pretty old handle going back now almost 25 years.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

My first online experiences were with Compuserve in the early 80's.  I had to come up with a handle but had  no idea what to use. I was working as an engineer/ENG truck operator for a television station in Sacramento.  Our remote ENG presence was known as "Livecamera 3" so thats where livecam came from. 

I've been using it ever since in one form or another.  It is a pretty old handle going back now almost 25 years.

I love your name.  It is very cool!   8)

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2007, 05:27:26 PM »

I just found this thread, so I'll start it up again - I seem to be doing a lot of that lately!

Anyhow, KT is a short-hand way of writing my name, Katie. 0930 is my wedding anniversary, September 30.

Great idea for a thread, rerun!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »

Just saw this too!  Skye is my yellow lab's name, she's a dog  :D and she rocks!  Hence, skyedogrocks.  However, now we have 2 dogs, poor Luke is left out in the cold.

Too bad my last name wasn't walker....Luke Skye Walker - from Star Wars  :rofl;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Fox_nc

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; I love this thread!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Patton

Two Great People

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

Patton-After General Patton who was one of the best if not the best American soldier, in Americas history.   :usaflag;
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »

Ah, General Patton. He had a bull terrier. 4, in fact.  :bow; (All named Willy lol).
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

paddbear0000 = paddbear after my lab, Paddington Bear, 0000 is because every time I start getting hit hard with spam in my e-mail, I have to get a new address. So I just add another zero. I'm up to 4 now and about to add a fifth! Perhaps, I'll find a new name (if there's any left)! I use this any time I need a username. I've been using it for years and can remember it.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »

I love Paddington Bear, and I think it's a great name for a dog!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »

Thanks! I don't remember why I named him that or how I thought of it either!  ???

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Krisna

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »

It's my given name!  My dad thought it was pretty!  It's Hindu.

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »

And it *is* pretty.  :)
Krisna

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »

And it *is* pretty.  :)

Thanks!  Of course my dad is also the one who named all of us girls with names beginning with a K.  I have three younger sisters named Kari, Kelli and Karla.  lol

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »

Krisna, you lucked out with the pretty name that is also unique, in the western world! I think it's a pretty name too, it rolls off the tongue very smoothly.

PaddBear, I loved Paddington Bear!!! I still do, come to think of it. SUCH a sweetheart!! And Babar...remember him??
Krisna

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2007, 06:13:40 PM »

Krisna, you lucked out with the pretty name that is also unique, in the western world! I think it's a pretty name too, it rolls off the tongue very smoothly.

PaddBear, I loved Paddington Bear!!! I still do, come to think of it. SUCH a sweetheart!! And Babar...remember him??

I remember Babar.  I love Paddington Bear too!  I have always loved my name!  It's not one that is easily forgotten!  My dad had friends who had named their daughter Krisna so that was how he first heard of it.  lol

Hickman
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »

When I named my daughter, I had never heard her name before... so I thought I was being original.. but now I hear it alot.. dang!!! Oh well, I still spell it my own way, so that's a plus!

BTW her name is Aryianna. Pronounced (Ar-E-ah-na).

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:02 AM »

Yeah! I had a stuffed Babar that came with a book! I noticed it's on Saturday mornings (I have DirecTv, and off-hand, I can't remember if it's a DirecTv, cable or regular channel).

myricle child

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »

basically, ive died and came back to life on a few occasions. ive even been marked for death by dr.'s. parents were told that i would be brain dead. (i may be crazy, but i aint brain dead! lol)i am a living testmony for taking "for life as it comes". i am alive by mere miracles! and for me to be as healthy and active as i am...God IS good. lots of ppl say...i dont know how you deal with all that. truth is,i dont know either except by having a strong support system around me and by the grace of God. i believe that i am here on this earth to help/save others (seems sometimes at MY own expense). i feel like im Gods lil angel. and with all that being said you have....MYRICLE CHILD!

You lookin 4  myricle? Here I am!
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »

My user name is the name of my beloved 14 year old cat, Sunny, who was diagnosed with kidney disease last year. The vet gave her only a few months to live. She and I are survivors and we have both proven our doctors wrong. She likes to sit next to me while I surf the internet.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »