I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 02:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Addition to the dialysis ritual at our centre
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Addition to the dialysis ritual at our centre  (Read 2345 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: April 24, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »

Now, after we weigh ourselves (those who weigh themselves), we have been asked to go to the sink and wash our access area with antibacterial soap.  This is a new directive.  Do any of you who do in-centre haemodialysis have to do this?  They say it is to keep down infection.  I found it a big strange since they always make a big deal of swabbing the area before inserting the needle.  But, of course, I gladly comply.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »

The whole time Marvin was on in-center hemo, the patients were supposed to do this -- the hand washing sink was right next to the scales.  However, Marvin was the only patient who ever washed his access arm before treatments; the nurses didn't push it (even though there was a big sign in front of the scales).  Marvin pretty much does whatever he's told to do; he's a good boy.  And, he figured if it didn't help (because they did lather the access down pretty good with Bedadine when he got to his chair), it couldn't hurt.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »

Been done here quite a while.

Good idea because you do not know what others might have and what they have been touching before you got there.  This way if everyone washes their hands and access that much less chance of picking something up.
Meinuk

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »

I think that the washing is a universal precaution that not all units enforce.  But it really is a good idea - better safe than sorry.

I would always wash and purell my access arm when I was in center.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »

It is a real good idea to wash the access before you get a needle in it.  Just a good precaution to do.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

In my center the scales are portable and the nurses wheel them around to the individual chairs when we first come in. They swab the arm before sticking but there is no mandatory washing. The sinks are actually off limits to the patients.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »

We wash oiur arms but it's suggested to do it - not enforced... I do mine every time though (but I have forgotten once or twice). While the staff do go and use the alcohol wipes to wipe down the area before needling it is a great idea to wash the access.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »

I do home hemo, so I wash the arm with anti-bacterial soap and use paper towels to dry...then we alcohol swab and betadine the stick site...ohhh the processes!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »

Having patients wash their access is actually part of the Fresenius Infection Control Policy.  We are all adults and no one can make you do it but every clinic should at least be educating patients on it's benefits and encouraging them to wash their sites.

It's not easy being green.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »

In my center many of the patients aren't ambulatory. They arrive in wheel chairs or gurnies. How does Fresenius handle this situation, especially if they have a catheter?

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »

In my center many of the patients aren't ambulatory. They arrive in wheel chairs or gurnies. How does Fresenius handle this situation, especially if they have a catheter?

For patients that aren't ambulatory it is suggested that before the patient is brought to dialysis that their caretaker washes their access and then the tech cleans it again at the chair using the typical alcohol pads.  There is unfortunately no good way to handle that in a clinic setting that has been proposed.  The reasoning behind washing the site is to make sure there is nothing on your skin that could possible cause you an infection when being stuck.  If you wash your site with antibacterial soap and then the tech wipes the site before sticking you are pretty much guaranteed that nothing is there.  As we all know there are techs out there who do better jobs than others and may actually clean the site as opposed to just giving it a quick swipe which does nothing.  This is also encouraged to try and help keep down infections in those patients that don't seem to bathe very often.  There is almost always at least one at every clinic that smells and doesn't look like they have bathed in a week.  Those people are going to have more grim on their access and cleaning it with alcohol pads may not be enough so the extra cleaning at the sink helps greatly.  As for catheters that is a whole different process that is done in the treatment chair by the tech/nurse.

It's not easy being green.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »