I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Viruses and Infections to ask about as a transplant recipient
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viruses and Infections to ask about as a transplant recipient  (Read 4169 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »

Viruses and Infections to ask about as a transplant recipient:

PCP - Pneumocystis pneumonia - a form of pneumonia caused by the yeast-like fungus. The fungus appears to be present in healthy individuals also in the general population. In pneumocystis pneumonia, inflammation is caused by the growth of Pneumocystis carinii, a fungus-like organism that is widespread in the environment. PCP is ordinarily a rare disease, affecting only people with weakened immune systems. Many of these people are patients receiving drugs for organ transplants or cancer treatment.

BKV - BK Virus - The BK virus is a member of the polyomavirus family. Past infection with the BK virus is widespread, but significant consequences of infection are uncommon, with the exception of the immunocompromised. Renal transplant patients infected with this virus can be treated by using an antiviral drug. The BK virus rarely causes disease since many people who are infected with this virus are asymptomatic. If symptoms do appear then many of them will be mild such as having a respiratory infection or a fever. These are known as the primary infections. Latent infections can occur in the kidneys and sometimes in the brain. A latent infection occurs when the virus becomes reactivated. However it is not known how this virus is transmitted. It is known however that the virus is spread from person to person and not from an animal source. It has been suggested that this virus may be transmitted through respiratory fluids. Early diagnosis of BK nephropathy has been shown to positively impact organ survival.

CMV - Cytomegalovirus - Infection with CMV is a major cause of disease and death in immunocompromised patients, including organ transplant recipients, patients undergoing hemodialysis, patients with cancer, patients receiving immunosuppressive drugs, and HIV-infected patients. Because of this risk, exposing immunosuppressed patients to outside sources of CMV should be minimized. Whenever possible, patients without CMV infection should be given organs and/or blood products that are free of the virus. Patients without CMV infection who are given organ transplants from CMV-infected donors should be given prophylactic treatment with valganciclovir (ideally) or ganciclovir and require regular serological monitoring to detect a rising CMV titre, which should be treated early to prevent a potentially life-threatening infection becoming established.

VRE - Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus - End stage renal disease patients are at risk of Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) infections. The first reports of VRE isolation were from hemodialysis patients. However, to date, VRE fecal colonization rates as well as associated risk factors in kidney transplant patients have not yet been established in prospective studies. Kidney transplant patients may be prone to developing high rates of VRE colonization and infection due to frequent use of antibiotics, particularly vancomycin both before and after transplantation. However, although kidney transplantation is the solid organ transplantation most frequently performed, little is known about prevalence and risk factors for fecal colonization by VRE among these patients.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »

I remember reading about this before my transplant, but notice one for sure is missing, EBV Epstein Barr Virus. (think I have the spelling correct)

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Golferchick

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »

My dad was VRE as well as had CMV. His body kept developing infections since he went into the hospital last September. He passed away last week (3/31/10).

They doctors could never determine what exactly what was wrong, every test / biopsy that he had (he had them all done) all came back negative. They do believe that his body came in contact with a virus and since he was immune suppressed that it attached the neurons in his brain.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »

Golferchick, that is similar to what I heard at a seminar I was at Saturday. The woman had all test done with urine and blood. All came back negative. She kept complaining and when the doctors did a colonoscopy, they found she had CMV. By that time, she said she was about to knock on death's door.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

About CMV. I think I read somewhere that a large percentage of the population have been exposed to the CMV virus, but obviously it is only a real concern for post-transplanted folks (or otherwise immunocompromised, like HIV+ patients etc). My question is - let's say I am, pre transplant, exposed to CMV - does this then mean bad karma for post transplant? Or is it only when you're exposed to it after transplant? Should I be asking my neph to test for CMV prior? (I presume they do this test at time of transplant, or possibly on a regular basis when you have transplant bloods taken - I am not certain on this and will ask locally about that).

Any ideas?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »

If you don't have any symptoms or are sick, no need to do the test. Your center will or should test you when you get the call or shortly after your transplant. Some centers will continuely test you every 1 to 2 months, others will not unless you are sick.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Golferchick

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »

Unfortunately it was the VRE that did him in. He had lesions on his brain the brain biopsy, bone marrow, spinal, etc all came back negative. He did come up with CMV a few months after transplant and several times during the past 7 months he was treat prophetically for CMV but it never came back again.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

About CMV. I think I read somewhere that a large percentage of the population have been exposed to the CMV virus, but obviously it is only a real concern for post-transplanted folks (or otherwise immunocompromised, like HIV+ patients etc). My question is - let's say I am, pre transplant, exposed to CMV - does this then mean bad karma for post transplant? Or is it only when you're exposed to it after transplant? Should I be asking my neph to test for CMV prior? (I presume they do this test at time of transplant, or possibly on a regular basis when you have transplant bloods taken - I am not certain on this and will ask locally about that).

Any ideas?

Richard,
I just saw this thread for the first time tonight and thought it was approriate now that you have transplanted to answer.  :)   To my knowledge, as a transplant patient it is best if you are CMV positive prior to transplant.  Then it doesn't matter what your donor is.  I was negative and my donor was positive, so I had to do 9 weeks of IVIG treatments directly after transplant.  I mean the same week I was discharged I started to go back for weekly treatments, multiple treatments every week.  It went by fast.

What did you find out about CMV after your transplant, Richard?  Were you positive or negative.  If negative, what treatment, if any, do you have to do?

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »