I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The first year of paranoia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The first year of paranoia  (Read 5294 times)
coravh

« on: July 10, 2006, 01:44:11 PM »

Hi folks. My name is Cora. I've lurked for a while but finally decided to sign up. I really enjoy the board. I've had diabetes since 1966 (I was 2 when diagnosed). Protein was first found in my urine in about 1979 and I went on dialysis (hemo) in 2001. I had my transplant almost exactly a year after I first went on dialysis.

My life has improved tremendously since the transplant. I had a rough time on dialysis and a hard time with the transplant at first too, but I have been feeling better and better.

I've read a number of the topics here and thought I'd talk a bit about what most transplant patients go through the first year after the surgery. The first year is often the most critical and the period where rejection is most likely to occur. I (and many of my friends with transplants) found that I was very paranoid the first year. I was afraid of getting a cold. I was afraid of touching things. I was afraid of rejecting the kidney and going on dialysis again. I was afraid of rejecting because that would somehow diminsh the gift that my cousin had given me and I was afraid of disappointing her.

The good news is that the paranoia goes away. I still avoid sick people if I can help it. I use Purell hand sanitizer when I am out. I use it a lot. I use it after I pump gas or after I use a bank machine. The truth is that I have had fewer colds since the transplant than I had before. The bottom line is that I feel infinitely better since the transplant and have very few problems or side effects. Because of other medical issues I am still not working, but that doesn't have anything to do with the kidney issues. Life is good!

Cora :)
jdat

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:49:22 PM »

Thanks for sharing this inspiring story  ;D
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:35:24 PM »

Hi, Cora, thanks for sharing with us.  I think that is a very helpful post.  I don't know how come I didn't notice this post before.
Anyway, we would like you to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself section.  That way, everyone can meet you and welcome you to the site.
Let's hear some more from you please.  You have much to offer ( and I think we have much to give as well)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:05:35 PM »

The first year is the worst in terms of the constant worrying.  But as time went on I didn't feel so paranoid.  I didn't get a cold or get sick once when I had the transplant.  I was really careful the whole ten years about what I ate, where I was, being around sick people.  After a while it was just normal behavior to me. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:07 PM »

I don't like it at Church when they have every shake hands.  "OK, now everybody turn around and SHAKE HANDS WITH YOUR NEIGHBOR".........and give them the flu or whatever else you have! 

I wear gloves and then take them off after that part is done!

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 02:35:46 AM »

I don't like it at Church when they have every shake hands.  "OK, now everybody turn around and SHAKE HANDS WITH YOUR NEIGHBOR".........and give them the flu or whatever else you have! 

I wear gloves and then take them off after that part is done!
Gloves are a good idea! At first I was not allowed to go to school or any stores ... and I think I didn't go to Church neither at first. I can't remember now. Been so long since I was 16 :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
coravh

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 05:16:29 AM »

I don't bother with gloves, but I could own stock in Purell (the hand sanitizer). I use it whenever I use a bank machine, get change, pump gas, grab the door in a mall, or shake someone's hand. I barely notice that I'm using it anymore, and I never get sick. OK, hardly ever. In fact, a lot less than most of my "healthy" friends.

Cora
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:20:54 AM »

I don't bother with gloves, but I could own stock in Purell (the hand sanitizer). I use it whenever I use a bank machine, get change, pump gas, grab the door in a mall, or shake someone's hand. I barely notice that I'm using it anymore, and I never get sick. OK, hardly ever. In fact, a lot less than most of my "healthy" friends.

Cora
Ya with PD I used to have to use gloves then they changed it and told everyone to use the hand sanitizer! Now everyone swears by it! It works!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kevno

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »

The first year with my transplant. My bloody little sister got Chicken pox >:( So all the ward I was on had to be given a jab for chicken pox. Plus I got put in Isolation for two weeks >:( I did get chicken pox but only very mild :D June 81, remember Princess Diane on the steps of the hospital with a newly born Prince William.That was a boring two weeks. My Mum and Dad Plus the little Brat looking through the glass at me. They had to get all gowned up to see me. Luckily the Chicken pox did not damage the Transplanted Kidney.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »

The first year with my transplant. My bloody little sister got Chicken pox >:( So all the ward I was on had to be given a jab for chicken pox. Plus I got put in Isolation for two weeks >:( I did get chicken pox but only very mild :D June 81, remember Princess Diane on the steps of the hospital with a newly born Prince William.That was a boring two weeks. My Mum and Dad Plus the little Brat looking through the glass at me. They had to get all gowned up to see me. Luckily the Chicken pox did not damage the Transplanted Kidney.

Ya I remember with my transplant I had to be isolated cuz some kid on the unit got chicken pox. Even tho I had had it before I had to worry about getting it again...

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »