I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Post your fluid restriction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your fluid restriction  (Read 5721 times)
BASSMAN

« on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »

Out of curiosity and to get a handle on what fluid restriction really means for someone on dialysis.  I am asking that you post the amount of fluids that you are restricted to in a day.  Preferably in ounces.  I will have to learn to convert metric to the english.

I do know that a 5th of whiskey is 750 ml  and a liter would be 1000 ml  :beer1;

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »

A liter and a half a day, officially.  That's about 50 fl. oz.  I usually don't drink that much, though, at least on my off days.  My hands are the first to swell when i start retaining fluid, and not being able to hold onto things drives me crazy.  Anything over a 2 L gain, and I can't make a fist.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MiSSis

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »

I try to keep my fluid intake to around 40 oz or less per day but since I'm on PD for over 12 hrs. per night, I don't have much of a problem with fluid retention.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »

Mine is 1500 cc but I usually exceed it because I don't retain any fluid.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
BASSMAN

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

Are you on dialysis at this time?  HD/PD?  Do you still have urine output?

How is this possible? 

Please reply if you feel comfortable sharing, thanks.

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »

With respect to your worries about fluid restriction, Bassman, you may have a long period of time when you require dialysis to remove toxins from the blood but still do not yet have to have fluid removed, since you may retain some or all of your urine output for a while after starting dialysis.  This will make it easier to ease into the fluid restrictions, which may be imposed gradually, not all at once.

For my first five years on dialysis I had no fluid restrictions since the volume of my urine output remained normal.  It only dropped to zero because some idiot nephrologist prescribed for me an anti-hypertensive medicine known to damage the kidneys. He reasoned: "Well, if you're on dialysis, your kidneys are gone anyway, so what does it matter?"  After seven years in medical school he could not seem to understand that there are varying degrees of renal failure, and that my residual renal function and urine output was precious to me!

When the urine output goes to zero, the restrictions are quite severe and difficult to live with, especially for patients who are diabetic, since the chief symptom of diabetes is severe thirst!  One of my nurses tried to live for just one day on the 1.5 liters of fluid allowed for dialysis patients and found it impossible.  She had to confess she had used up her total by noontime.

Before renal failure, I had lived for a while in a third world country where it was necessary to drink only bottled water, so I knew exactly how much water I normally drank per week: 27 litres.  So when I had to cut that down to 10.5 litres on dialysis, you can imagine the stress.  I adhered strictly to my diet and never ate a gram of salt, but I still found myself having trouble falling asleep nights because of the maddening thirst.  But in my case the issue was made worse by diabetes, so if you are not diabetic, you should have an easier time.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »

I still urinate some and do not gain much between treatments but my neph told me 50 ounces when the time comes.
I got upset and he wanted to know how much more I wanted to drink?
I have read to have 32 ounces and then measure your urine for 24 hours and add that to the 32 ounces.
I can not drink as much as I used to and it is hard.... My neph may assume that I am on 50 ounces but....... unless I am sick..I over drink.
Stauffenberg----- that SOB neph, I treasure every drop of urine ... I know it will not continue forever.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »

When I was in-centre, my restriction was 1500ml, but now that I'm on daily dialysis, I don't really have any restrictions, which I'm not complaining about.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »

My "official" restriction was 50 ounces a day, but I did PD and still had urine output, so I didn't pay much attention to it and rarely had swelling.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »

500  mls  a day ,  no  urine  output,haemo  ,usually  put on  2-3  litres  between  runs
 i  just  love  to :beer1;
even  if  someone :Kit n Stik;  it  wouldn't  help.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

When Marvin was in-center hemo, his fluid restriction was 36 ounces/day.  Now that he's on home hemo, he can have more, and he loves it!  Basically, he was told that on home hemo, he can drink more -- no definite restriction -- as long as he doesn't go "hog wild."  He went so long on fluid restriction in-center (12 1/2 years) that he adjusted to it long ago -- never liked it, but did adjust.  Now that he's home hemo, he drinks more, and he's very happy with that!

His urine output is zero -- and has been for years.  When he was in-center, his typical weight gain between treatments was 2-3 kilos (treatments 3 x week) -- exept over the week-end when he would go in on Monday with 3-4 kilos.  Now that he's on home hemo, his typical weight gain is 1 kilo (treatments 6 x week).
angellady07

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 03:26:59 AM »

Mine is 48 ounces. I'm still trying to adapt and many times I fall short. I don't know why but I seem to do the best on the weekends. Unfortunately, I do retain fluid. I have to stay fairly close to the mark or I'm in trouble.
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

Out of curiosity and to get a handle on what fluid restriction really means for someone on dialysis.  I am asking that you post the amount of fluids that you are restricted to in a day.  Preferably in ounces.  I will have to learn to convert metric to the english.

I do know that a 5th of whiskey is 750 ml  and a liter would be 1000 ml  :beer1;

Mine is 32 ounces per day but I usually do about 40-46 ounces a day taking into consideration that some foods contain more liquid than others.  It is hard and it sucks.  I can deal with any other aspect of ESRD but the fluid restrictions are the worst, IMHO.  Sometimes I just want to drink  and drink and drink.  Thirst is a normal human condition, it is something that humans, even the most primitive of our ancesters had.  Thirst is a something every animal including humans have.  You can't shut it off.  It's like hunger, breathing, ect.  I wish more people would understand this especially dialysis workers and doctors. 
There has to be a better way.  If I could do hemo at home every day I would because of less restrictions.  My place refuses to offer it.   :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
BASSMAN

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »

Thank you for your replies!

I tried to do 48 oz just as a test and was unable.  Respect to those that can do it!!

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 02:55:14 AM »

Mine is 500ml plus whatever I output which is between 100 and 200ml's... however I usually make it about 1 litre (1000ml) and 2kg change between treatments... which makes weekends difficult!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lcamanini

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 09:50:56 AM »

Mine is 48 ounces. I've just started losing my urine output in the past 4-6 months (can't remember when it really started to go) and now I'm down to about zero so I stick pretty close to my restriction.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »

i've never been given a specific restriction. i generally keep my intake between 32-64 ounces a day. depending on the day and what's going on it's sometimes less. i usually weigh in somewhere between .5 and 1.9 from where i weighed out from the last treatment. i've lost 15 pounds since january so dry weight doesn't really count for much. i go by the weight changes from treatment to treatment. i very seldom show any puffiness. (i'm not holding my breath, but this works well for now)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 08:35:07 PM »

My tonic works for me and I never gain between treatments. I usually gain during dialysis due to the saline.

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 05:41:46 AM »

Are you on dialysis at this time?  HD/PD?  Do you still have urine output?

How is this possible? 

Please reply if you feel comfortable sharing, thanks.

The % measurement of kidney function is misleading as it is only a measure of toxin filtration and doesn't take account of urine production and maintenance of haemoglobin levels. It is therefor epossible to have a low GFR and high fluid output.

Ken
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 03:36:08 PM »

On PD I can drink almost a normal amount, I don't really have to watch it too much so long as my blood pressure is normal. I usually end up drinking about 40 oz or so a day. If I drink too much, I use the higher PD solution to pull off the extra fluid.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »

When I was on hemo I was only supposed to have 20oz or less a day. Then on PD I could really drink what I wanted because I was on the machine everynight.. I am sure if I drank gallons I would of retained obviously... so on PD it's petty much drink what you want but with a conscience eye.

Now i'm 1 yr, 3 months, 8 days post transplant... and have to drink 2L+ everyday to keep my kidney hydrated.  :waving;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »

Ken,

That's probably why I feel so good after dialysis. I just get cleaned with no fluid pull off.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »