I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Shy about posting
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shy about posting  (Read 8300 times)
BASSMAN

« on: April 16, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »

I enjoy the site very much and I spend a lot of time lurking and reading and not logging in to post.  I have learned a great deal and have gotten a great many questions answered without even having to ask.  I have learned to search for answers rather than posting a new thread.  Nothing irritates me more than to post a question and have a long time member of a forum tell me to use the search button.  I am also a bit shy about posting and a bit ashamed to even ask some questions.  The reason for the shyness is the fact that I am relatively well in that I have 27% kidney function.  I read about the issues most of the members here have been through, or are facing, and I think that my problems are trivial at this time.

:rant;
I get my latest lab report numbers tomorrow and I am worried that I have lost more function.  I worry because I am retaining a lot of fluid and have had to increase my furosemide by three times the prescribed dosage to keep the fluid off. I am prescribed 40 mg a day and have been taking 120 mg.  From what I have read you can actually take quite a bit more than that.   I am already on a low sodium diet and stick to it fairly well.  I am really beginning to wonder if I have what it takes to actually do dialysis when the time comes.  I worry most about fluid restriction.  I have no fluid restriction right now but I have recently started to try to limit my intake because of my fluid retention and I have a really hard time with it.

I feel really tired, almost to the point of exhaustion.  I can only imagine how someone feels with a GFR of 20 or 15.  It scares the crap out of me!!!

The whole worry of financial ruin is a rant for another thread!!!

I will let you guys know what my numbers are tomorrow.

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »

Your problems are definitely not trivial. Some people feel differently at different GFR. Keep posting. I think some people refer people to  threads that are full of valuable information. The fatigue is overwhelming. The only people that understand, are those that go through it. Hope you get good news.
BASSMAN

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »

Your problems are definitely not trivial. Some people feel differently at different GFR. Keep posting. I think some people refer people to  threads that are full of valuable information. The fatigue is overwhelming. The only people that understand, are those that go through it. Hope you get good news.

Thank You!  I hope so too but my body tells me different.  I am curious to see how much has fallen since my last lab.  I feel worse than I ever have.

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »

Bassman, I did the same thing and was very nervous about posting. Since I am at 15%, I thought people would think I wasn't sick enough.  This group is so accepting and they have helped me learn so much.  Your fatigue is all part of it. Your kidneys have lost 75% of their function, so you are tired.  I struggled with the thought that I was being lazy.  I'm not lazy, just too tired to move.  Now I am better to myself and keep my special pillow on the couch!   When the vomiting started, one nurse told me is was due to stress.   This site told me different.  I get more honest information here than at all the doctors.    So, please post more.  The burden will be lighter if you let us help.  We will all be waiting to see what your new numbers are.  I hope you can hold on to the function you have for awhile longer.    Take care---post often :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »

no one understands how tired I am ------ IHD understands
no one understands how it feels to be so thirsty and no be able to drink------IHD understands
no one understands how it feels in the pit of my stomach when dialysis day is here-----IHD understands
best of all   ----- when you need it most ------- IHD makes you laugh
please post---- we need you too
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »

hey Bassman I have seen you signed in a few times. Glad you have taken the next step. Nobody is going to challenge your medical posts so please post away...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »

Bassman.  There's nothing trivial at all about CKD.  It's a really bad break and the exhaustion is overwhelming as well as all the other symptoms we face.  The only thing that makes me feel a little bit better is remembering how much healthier I felt once I started on dialysis last time.  I was scared as heck of the unknown of dialysis, just like you are, and it did take a little while for my body and brain to adjust but I was able to feel like doing things again.  The worry of what we face is another hugely tiring factor and no matter what your percentage of function is, feeling like crap is feeling like crap.  Right now I feel like an exhausted slug and a burdensome one at that. 
Please don't feel ashamed to make comments or ask questions because I'll bet that there will be others here who think, feel or wonder about the very same things.  Besides, we promise not to tell anybody.
Hope to hear more from you.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »

Being a newbie, I'm sure I've already made mistakes.  I know I posted a recipe in the wrong place.  No one got on me about that and I appreciate it.  The greatest thing about this site is that it's real.  I can feel the real people writing the real words every time I get started reading a thread.  I found the site late one night a few weeks ago when I was really feeling down about taking care of my husband.  It was a shining light when I needed direction.  I think you can post when you need to.  These folks have very open hearts.  And they are darn smart, too!

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »

We are pretty tolerable, we all make mistakes and we are not shy about telling you so, but don't let it bother you and don't take it personal. I know how you feel BASSMAN, I have more function than you do, and I feel the same as you, but I still worked my way up to Administrator position. Mostly because I am so lovable  :shy;   :rofl;  J/K.   Don't be shy we love to have you here.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »

hey  bassman 

you  got  jump  in  feet  first

the  more  the  merrier :yahoo;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

I agree with Ang -- jump in!  We're family here, and you are one of us!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

I agree with everyone here.  Jump on in. The more information we put on this board, the less looking other patients are going to have to do!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

Bassman, are they checking your iron and hemoglobin levels?  At 27 percent function, my kidneys stopped making epo, and I was so tired I could barely walk across a room.  Make sure they are doing something about all the possible side effects!  My docs started me on epo and iron transfusions a decade before I started dialysis - it made a huge difference for me!

I also retained a lot a fluid until they started me on a combination of blood pressure pills and diuretics.  Don't let the docs write your symptoms off as normal - with the right treatment, there's no reason you can't get some energy back.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »

It doesnt matter how trivial or silly you think your questions are , we have all felt like that. Will they think im an idiot if i ask about such n such, the answer is NO. We all understand the day to day worries, we all understand how hard it is , we all care. Sometimes its good to post just to get something off your chest , even if you dont want answers !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »

It doesnt matter how trivial or silly you think your questions are , we have all felt like that. Will they think im an idiot if i ask about such n such, the answer is NO. We all understand the day to day worries, we all understand how hard it is , we all care. Sometimes its good to post just to get something off your chest , even if you dont want answers !
AMEN!!!   You said it exactly right!  Epoman started this site so people could be real, be frank, get real answers, rant, rave, rage, vent when they wanted to.  There were only two major restrictions - be careful with vulgarity since some kids come here, and use the spellcheck.   And this has continued to be so, even after his passing.
You are fortunate to be aware of your kidney's situation fairly early.  When I finally got so ill that my daughter (without a driver's licence) had to take me to the hospital, my GFR was 25%.  I had no idea what had been happening in my body.  it swiftly fell to about 10% and I was catapulted to dialysis.  Thank God I found IHD just before dialysis started!  That is how I was prepared and empowered.
We are so glad for everyone who joins and participates.  Keep on keeping on, Bassman!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »

I too am pre-dialysis, yet feel very welcome here.
Information obtained here is helping me be prepared.
The site also provides emotional support and a helping hand so I don't feel so alone regarding the issues of ESRD.
I sure hope your latest lab numbers are good. Best of luck.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
BASSMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »

Hello everyone and Thank You!!  for your responses!

I got my labs today and they are actually pretty good, well, the same I should say as my last lab.  I have not lost any function since my last lab.

Creatinine 2.7
GFR 27

all other values are in the normal range.

Hemoglobin is good and my neph said that is actually surprising that it is normal at this point.  So, I asked him about being tired and he said "your feeling tired does not surprise me".  We have no idea why I have an increase in fluid retention unless it has something to do with my quitting smoking recently.

Anyways, I am pleased and Ii really thank you guys for your support.  I really like this place!  You are all so nice!!

Thank You!

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »

:clap;       Glad to hear that the numbers are holding.  Keep on posting.  You seem nice too.

EDITED: Fixed clap icon, Boxman/Moderator
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:01:32 PM by boxman55 » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Brightsky69

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »

Hi Bassman -

At last check my creatinine was 2.6 I am due to go in for more labs on May 2nd. I too have problems with fluid. And I am anemic. I am not on dialysis yet. When it happens this will be my 2nd time.
I try to think positive and think that it won't be so bad this go around. I have a really great doctor who really takes the time with me. We sat and talked for about 40 minutes during one of my appointments. He is all about trying to make my life easier when it comes to my kidneys.
I try to keep focused on the positives...my blood pressure is like that of a teenager.   ;D
You have come to the right place. I am a newbie here and I have to tell you...I have never come across a more welcoming and supportive group ever.   ;D

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »

:grouphug; We're all in this together!

Bassman, glad things are stable. To everyone else I hope you all stay stable too!
annabanana

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »

Good for you, BASSMAN! (Your numbers.)
re: feeling shy...when I first started posting here my husband's numbers were just like yours. ------I have learned SO MUCH here and I am so grateful to all the beautiful people on this site.

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Hello everyone and Thank You!!  for your responses!

I got my labs today and they are actually pretty good, well, the same I should say as my last lab.  I have not lost any function since my last lab.

Creatinine 2.7
GFR 27

all other values are in the normal range.

Hemoglobin is good and my neph said that is actually surprising that it is normal at this point.  So, I asked him about being tired and he said "your feeling tired does not surprise me".  We have no idea why I have an increase in fluid retention unless it has something to do with my quitting smoking recently.

Anyways, I am pleased and Ii really thank you guys for your support.  I really like this place!  You are all so nice!!

Thank You!

Are you on any kind of blood pressure pills (besides furosemide)? Back when my kidney function was about where yours is now, I started getting swelling too. My doc put me on BP pills. The swelling eventually went away. My creat now is 3.0 and my GFR is 20, but I haven't had any problem with swelling since then. And I've been at this % of function for almost 3 years now. I've read a number of times, that you can start getting edema in the early stages of KF, but it goes away. Kind of like an early warning sign of sorts.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »

Yay!
Your numbers are looking good. Just work on finding ways to keep it that way for as long as possible.
I"ve been stable with a creatinine of 2.8 for about five years. All we can do is our best within our abilities.
Good luck to you.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »

I'm glad you posted and will be posting more.
I lurked for quite a while before posting.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Bassman - please post. I don't think there are ANY silly questions (well maybe if you ask us what your name is or something... :) ). Seriously though we've all been new to this thing at one time or another... and it can be daunting and frightening... while it's great to use the search function to see if stuff has been addressed before .. don't feel bad to ask something YOU think is trivial - some other person maybe sitting out there and see your question and might think "hey I'm glad he asked that because I was wondering myself!"

And don't DARE think you shouldn't post because you're relatively healthy with a GFR of 27!!! I think all of us would join me and being VERY HAPPY for you that you're doing OK where you're at (and well done on the results being pretty stable! :) )... Sure, a lot of us are not doing so well - but that's life. It doesn't mean your questions and thoughts are any less valid or important than ours... and I don't think any of us would begrudge your good fortune to be off dialysis at this point!

So... please post and share your thoughts and questions!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »