I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Swelling in Hands, Knees, Feet
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swelling in Hands, Knees, Feet  (Read 4770 times)
Mars

« on: July 08, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »

My husband almost always has swelling in his hands (he can't make a fist), knees and feet. Some days are worse than others, but it is always there.  He thinks it is fluid, but his doctors basically say they don't now (their answer to near everything).  Does anyone else have this? Walking is getting more and more difficult for him.  He is 50 and I am afraid in another year he won't be able to walk.  He does have heel spurs, but the one dr thinks he might have some neuropathy, too. (He is not diabetic.)  It seems like better management would at least help this, but he is sort of resigned to "this is just the way it is" and doesn't push for answers.  The doctors don't seem to try to deal with it.  It is frustrating to me on both ends.  Can anything be done?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »

The first sign when i am overloaded is my feet, ankles and hands swell.  Usually, if i use 2 red bags, i am on PD, and watch my salt intake then it goes away in about a day.  How is his breathing?  If he has excess fluid and it is causing edema then it would be hard for him to breath too, especially when he is laying down.  Do you know what his dry weight is?  and what he is weighing now?  does he have a problem controlling his fluid?  all these can be a factor to your problem.  I am surprised if the dr. didnt ask you all these questions and see if they needed to adjust his dry weight.  Good Luck to you and please let me know how he is doing,  WE ALL CARE HERE.....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »

I would definitely get a hold of where his dry weight is and see if it can be challenged.  Is he cramping during dialysis? Does he have trouble breathing?  Is he short of breath when he walks short distances?
Does the swelling go down after dialysis and slowly back up?  I would check with his doctor.  Edema is nothing to fool with especially in an already compromised system.

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:54:36 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 07:18:25 PM »

I would definitely get a hold of where is dry weight is and see if it can be challenged.  Is he cramping during dialysis? Does he have trouble breathing?  Is he short of breath when he walks short distances?
Does the swelling go down after dialysis and slowly back up?  I would check with his doctor.  Edema is nothing to fool with especially in an already compromised system.

Katherine

Not to mention the damage being caused to the heart. Excessive fluid overload WILL cause an enlarged heart overtime.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 11:12:41 PM »

If he cant make a fist then I would say it probly is fluid. If he still has swelling post dialysis then his dry weight needs adjusting. If they just take 200ml extra off each dialysis, to slowly reduce his weight, you will soon know if its fluid or not. How is his blood pressure?
kevno

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 06:01:48 PM »

If it is fluid, how is his Blood pressure. If it is high that is usually a sign of fluid overload. BUT, if he on on BP tablets, that can mask the sign of the high BP. He needs to get checked out by a renal Doctor. Swelling is a major sign of overload. If you Husband will not push for a answer, Then Please you MUST push for the answers for him. Fluid overload is very dangerous for a renal patient, the sooner it gets sorted out the better it will be for you husband.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »