I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Hyperbaric Treatment for Wounds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hyperbaric Treatment for Wounds  (Read 11174 times)
boxman55
Elite Member

« on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:06 AM »

Generally, treatments are scheduled daily, Monday through Friday. Occasionally, some HBOT conditions require treatment 2 or 3 times per day, or over weekends.

Patients being treated should not use any tobacco products. Tobacco products of any kind will cause your blood vessels to narrow, making treatments less beneficial.

There are no eating restrictions when receiving hyperbaric treatments. Continue any special diet for diabetes, kidney failure, etc.

Hyperbaric treatments should not change the effectiveness of most medications.

What to expect
Routine hyperbaric treatments last approximately 2 hours. Treatments should be painless. Because of the air pressure changes in the chamber, a patient’s ears will have a sense of fullness when the chamber compresses, similar to flying in an airplane. If there is any pain during the treatment, patients should notify the hyperbaric attendant.

If wound care is required, the wound care and/or hyperbaric staff will perform dressing changes on patients prior to or immediately after their treatment. Patients will be assigned a specific time for their care. The hyperbaric physician will see a patient based on his/her condition. The hyperbaric staff will update the physician on the patient’s progress.

Rarely, some patients may experience temporary visual changes due to hyperbaric treatments. Patients should not buy any new glasses or contact lenses during hyperbaric treatment. Vision status will stabilize 6–8 weeks after treatments have ended.

What does HBOT feel like?
The sensation can be similar to that experienced while flying and/or landing in an airplane or diving under water. As pressure builds, it is common to feel pressure in the ears. As the pressure is released, the ears “pop” automatically. Most patients rest comfortably throughout treatment. Many read, sleep or listen to music. Because the temperature increases during pressurization, HBOT chambers are equipped with air conditioning to ensure patient comfort.

The chamber is a solid steel somewhat oval shaped. It is similar to a huge boiler tank. The one I use can hold six patients and one tech. You start out with the atmosphere inside the chamber simulating going 40 feet under sea level. So you are constantly trying to pop your ears for about 10 minutes. Once the chamber is pressurized, you then put on a mask and start breathing pure oxygen. You do this for 45 minutes then you get a 5 minute break. Then another 45 minutes wearing the mask. Then you remove the mask and decompress for about 10 minutes then your done. The purpose is to send 2-3 times the amount of oxygen and enriched blood to the wound area to help it heal. I had two toes amputated and with bad circulation in the foot I needed additional help to heal the wound. So far I have had 17 treatments and all indications are that it is helping the wound to heal. Hope this explains the treatment. The hospital has two chambers...Boxman

2 multiplace (multi-person) chambers: 

9x26 foot double-lock steel chamber

capable of treatment at four times atmospheric pressure (ATA)
6-patient capacity

8x20 foot steel recompression chamber

capable of treatment at seven times atmospheric pressure (ATA)
fully-equipped for emergency cases such as diving accidents and carbon monoxide poisoning
2-patient capacity

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 04:13:28 AM by boxman55 » Logged

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:26:40 PM »

Oh, Boxman
I'm at a loss for words
except
if I ever have a spare kidney      it's yours
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

boxman, I admire you. I couldn't do what you are doing, they'd have to knock me out. I hope the time flies by for you and the treatments are a great success.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:25 PM »

hit the wrong key again

thank you for taking the time to explain it to me
I have seen those machines across the walk from dialysis and no one knew what they were
I asked nurses and workers at dialysis
ours has a man in an old fashion diver's suit ( like the old movie, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
and there is an aquarium
now I get it
thanks
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

:2thumbsup; Fascinating treatment - I am interested to see how you do - so glad they found you
a big room instead of that coffin like torture chamber they first put you in!  :-\

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »

you're a brave one, Box!  hope it works well for you!
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »

Good luck with your treatments Box.  They sound very interesting.  These med people just keep getting smarter
and smarter.

:stauffenberg;

Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »