I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 07:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Your time on "the list"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your time on "the list"  (Read 4407 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: March 28, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »

For those of you have received "the call", how long were you on "the list"?  For you multi-transplanters I'm talking about your first call.

Also, did your coordinator call you or was it someone else?  I've got to remember to ask my coordinator on Monday who will call, because I'm a screener and I've been answering every call since mid February and I'm sick of it!  I want to go back to screening!  I usually NEVER answer 1/800 numbers or "unavailable" numbers.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »

I haven't gotten THE call, but when my transplant co-ordinator calls for anything, it shows UNC Hospital on caller ID.  They also have my cell phone.  It has been almost 2 1/2 years -- I'm not holding my breath! :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

Jenna's waittime was 5 to 7 years at the first transplant hospital, never got a call after 3 years.
Second transplant hospital (multiple listed and switched her 3 years of waittime to them) gave her a pager and called after 3 months, again at 5 months. These were back up calls, and someone else got the kidney in each case.
Then we found the living donor and the rest is history.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

For those of you have received "the call", how long were you on "the list"?  For you multi-transplanters I'm talking about your first call.

Also, did your coordinator call you or was it someone else?  I've got to remember to ask my coordinator on Monday who will call, because I'm a screener and I've been answering every call since mid February and I'm sick of it!  I want to go back to screening!  I usually NEVER answer 1/800 numbers or "unavailable" numbers.

I'm a little complicated because I was accidentally taken of the list due to someone having the same name. Plus I was on the kidney only list first in November of 99, then switched hospitals after finding out about pancreas were done also. So I was on the k/p tx list in Feb of 2000, then taken off the list for who knows how long until my transplant center called me to ask if I had a transplant already. So for me, I waited 1 year 1 month, but may have been sooner. As for the call,one of the coordinators did call me. I met the coordinators when there was a transplant seminar. And at 2 am in the morning, I'm not screening calls, I answer. The caller ID did show an area code and first three digits I could associate with the transplant center since most of the building started with a 695 - XXXX. I also gave them my cell phone number and they gave me a pager at the time (do they even have that old technology anymore?). With my cell phone, I can program a special ring for numbers that the doctors give me. If they are calling from the same center, but out of a different line, it still tells me such and such is calling while displaying that number. So get a business card from you transplant center, memorize most of the numbers and watch your caller ID or cell phone. It maybe better for you to have your cell phone set as your default number to call so you will never miss the call no matter where you are at. Just leave it plugged in at home at night and on.
Good Luck

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »

1st transplant got call 6 months on the list.

Still waiting for 2nd.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »

1st call 6 mos. Transplant Center called       Still waiting for 2nd transplant on list 1 year

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »

On the list for 14 months. No call yet...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »

I'm a little complicated because I was accidentally taken of the list due to someone having the same name.

Don't they check other details to make sure they've got the right person?!!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »

The first time Marvin was on "the list," he waited 5 1/2 years -- and then I was FINALLY approved as his living donor (we weren't a good match and I had to do a lot of convincing).  He got five stand-by calls during this time, and each time the kidney went to someone else.  But the number on caller ID showed up at our house as "Duke Hospital."  One of the calls came on his cell, and he just automatically answered it.  Four of the calls came during the day/afternoon hours, and one came at 3 a.m.  This second time, he's been back on "the list" for 4 1/2 years, and he's had three stand-by calls.  Again, the caller ID showed "Duke Hospital."  We're still waiting for the second transplant..... :banghead; .  The wait is long and hard, and we try not to let it consume our thoughts.  However, every time the phone does ring..............well, you know, our hearts skip a beat because we think, "Just maybe...."

P.S.  And by the way, I argued and argued that when he went back on the list this second time that his "wait time" from the first round should be reinstated because he didn't get his transplant off the list.  We didn't get it!  When he went back on this last time, his time started over at zero.  That sucks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:35:50 PM by petey » Logged
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »

I'm a little complicated because I was accidentally taken of the list due to someone having the same name.

Don't they check other details to make sure they've got the right person?!!
UNOS or Gift of Hope really screwed up on that one.I do not know how it happened or why. I just know when my transplant center called to ask me if I had indeed gotten a transplant from somewhere else and I said no, that she got it cleared up and I got my transplant afew weeks later.
Someone fell asleep on their job it seems!  ::) :o >:( :urcrazy;:boxing; :Kit n Stik;

However, it does seemed to have played in my favor in the end sine I have had my transplant 7 years, 3 months, 26 days, not that I'm counting  :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »

That's both a wonderful and scary story all at the same time, Chris!  Congrats on your working kidney!

I believe - and I'm going to check to be sure on Monday - that they indeed have my home, cell and my husband's cell.  I would never screen a call after midnight!  I do, however, want to screen all the B.S. calls during the day/work hours.  I got more calls from Hilary and Obama.  I hate those kinds of calls - automated crap!  And if Sprint calls me one more time I'll scream!!!!!

"You're eligible for a new phone phone".

"Is it an additional phone or a replacement phone?"

"Additional phone."

"I don't need an additional phone, thanks".

"But think of the savings!!!"

"Huh?"    :Kit n Stik;

Anyhoo, I'm so fresh on "the list" that I'm not expecting "the call" any time soon.  I am just wondering.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

That's why we no longer have a land line, just a family plan for our cell phones! No solicitors whatsoever! No telemarketers, no campaigners, nothing but friends, family and those who we give our number to. It's great! And saves a ton of money!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »

My 1st kidney was from my dad and took 6 months to go through the required work up.

My second transplant, I was on the list for three and a half years.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »

Good topic, I just got on the list and was wondering what the average time was.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »

That's both a wonderful and scary story all at the same time, Chris!  Congrats on your working kidney!

I believe - and I'm going to check to be sure on Monday - that they indeed have my home, cell and my husband's cell.  I would never screen a call after midnight!  I do, however, want to screen all the B.S. calls during the day/work hours.  I got more calls from Hilary and Obama.  I hate those kinds of calls - automated crap!  And if Sprint calls me one more time I'll scream!!!!!

"You're eligible for a new phone phone".

"Is it an additional phone or a replacement phone?"

"Additional phone."

"I don't need an additional phone, thanks".

"But think of the savings!!!"

"Huh?"    :Kit n Stik;

Anyhoo, I'm so fresh on "the list" that I'm not expecting "the call" any time soon.  I am just wondering.

When you ask about what numbers they have listed for you, ask which number is listed as first contact number. I have not had trouble with solisitors for either land or cell phone lines ever since joing the no call registry list the gov't set up a few years back to combat all the darn solisitation. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it stops campaign solisitation. Luckily I/we haven't had that. Like pb, my cell phone is for family, friends, and docs only. All communication with my docs is thru my cell phone so I never miss anything while I am out and about. So anyone who is having a transplant may want to have their cell phone listed as the primary number to contact if they get the call. That way no worry about screen solisitation or missing a call, also less time for the transplant center to track you down.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »

My coordinator told me when I was listed that he would "probably" be the one to call, but it may not show up as his number at work, especially if the call came in the middle of the night. I got one call in December, and it was my coordinator, but it was at about 1:30 a.m., so of course, it wasn't his office number. My second call, when I actually got the kidney, was a different coordinator who worked for the team, and she called my husband's cell phone instead of mine (thankfully, it was at about 9:30 at night, so we were sitting in bed beside each other, anyway).

My advice, don't stop answering the calls...yes, it's frustrating, but it'd be even more frustrating to miss the call! I was on the list for eleven months.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »

Yes, I agree.   It's far better to answer the worthless calls than to slip up and miss the most important of the all!  The Mother of all phone calls!  Thanks everyone!

I'm still interested in hearing people's time on "the list".  So keep'em coming!

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »

The is a forum for transplant patients that I sometims visit that you may also want to post your question on. There are different sections for each type of transplant, so post it on the Kidney orum board. It is www.transplantbuddies.org    Some of the information there can be a little stuffy compared to the more laid back family feeling here.
Hope that also helps with your question.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010