I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  2nd Time Around
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2nd Time Around  (Read 3053 times)
girlfriend

« on: July 04, 2006, 12:58:47 AM »

Hello,

My name is Barb aka girlfriend.(just spend 4 hours or so reading  some of the posts here). I am on my second kidney transplant. I heard about this site through a member and close friend that i found on the internet (or did he find me) and had to meet in person a wonderful man. (thanks for the link. He told me this was an awesome site..

I have many stories and experiences to share with you  and who know you might even benefit from my experiences.(i have been told many times I should write a book.. but seems like to much work LOL).

In Total I have been on dialysis for 10 years in two 5 year sets.. I got sick when I was 20 years old.. I do have the name of (what the doctors figured) my disease that caused my life change.but can't find it at the moment.. Personally I think it may of been from having menigines (sp) when i was in grade 3.

Anyways. after the first 5 years of dialysis I got a transplant from a 14 year old boy (burn victim (cardiac arrest) The kidney lasted me 16 wonderful years (at that time I was married and separated 7 years later) story for another time..

Back onto dialysis  for another 5 years(PD and Hemo both times) and then another chance to try again (maybe i screwed up the first time and have a chance to try again?)  I got this Kidney also from a cadaver a 45 year old woman that was in a car accident on the September long week end. ( hate to say i looked forward to the long week ends  but I did)
This will now be the 6th year  comming September of my second transplant.

I hope I can express myself here and that i have finally found a place where I might be able to share my experiences with you and maybe help some of you with my "wisdom" lol.. Often I think, what am I here for? What can I do to help others? To share and what is my "reason"  for being here? (but we all think that from time to time I am sure) or do we need a reason?

I chose not to have children (not knowing what might happen or to have my children see me ill and on dialysis, I would not wish that on anyone ) I felt this to be the right choice and I do not regret it at all, (but sometimes wonder as to what may of been had i not made this choice) 34 years ago things were much different then they are now.

When i first became Ill I was rejected by my fiancee (nice guy) I thank the Good Lord it happened before we got married not after. How nice to start this journey knowing you have been rejected because of what you have no control over. and to finish it out feeling  that always in the back of your mind.

It has been a long haul and still a long way  to go.  I also hope i can find insight and purpose through all of you here as well.. Many times I wake in the morning and feel whats the use.. But Hey I got it good.. no problems with my transplants or while on dialysis I am not a diabetic. So very fortune that the only thing is my kidney that has given me grief.. Until I found out I had hepC .(through a blood transfusion) . And what a way to find out  While at the clinic and on dialysis one of the nurses just happend to mention i had HepC .. HELLO!!!!! just like that.. I said WHAT?  she says yeah you got hepC  so i asked when did this happen.. She says I don't know its in your chart.. so.......... thats was it.. nothing else.. no education on it or nothing... gheeeeeeze.. I think they forget to pass on info to the patience. or we should just know?  Again another sorry..

So sorry for going on, but reading the posts have brought back many memories. and its is not the place for me to tell you all.. I will do it on the boards.. thanks for listening so far though..
Happy to be here...
Barb

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff........
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »

Hey Barb,   Welcome to the site,  I am sure your story will help others in many ways and we are here to help you in any way we can also.  The members here are great,  they are honest and to the point.  I sure hope you read all the threads,  there are some pretty interesting ones in here.  Anything from jokes, cartoons, recipes and they have a pretty awesome gameroom.     
I am sorry to hear about your hepC, damn,  reminds me of myself,  if it isnt one thing, its another huh?  eh, what can we do?  Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Goofynina

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 06:07:04 AM »

Welcome to this wonderful site.
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 07:22:30 AM »

Hi Barb,

Welcome to the site.   :D

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »

Welcome to our board.  I must say that we have a caring and sharing community here.  This is definitely the place to be.
I notice that you took the time to read some preliminary threads before you started posting.  Great!
I am really looking forward to your sharing with us.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »

2nd time around.... my name is Rerun because it is my second time around for dialysis, but you have been there, done that, and on your second transplant.  You give me hope that someday I may get another transplant.  Right now my PRA (Panel Reactive Antigens) are 93, so they say I will be hard to match.  I'll be interested in your insight and stories.  Please come here to post.  You are very interesting and a wonderful writer.

girlfriend

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 10:38:12 PM »

Thanks for the great welcome goofynina, sluff, hephs-little-lady, bajanne and rerun! so far so good..

goofynina, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I have read a bit and find it all very interesting.
  Sluff, your right it is a wonderful site, it sure brought back memories, some i try to forget but all a learning experience at the time..

Hephs-little-lady, thanks for the welcome, I look forward to meeting you all.

bajanne, thanks, and yes i did browse the site a bit, did not just want to burst in and make a fool of myself or put my foot in my mouth and get off to a bad start. thought maybe I should try to grasp the jest of it all before I went ahead and did that LOL

rerun, Love your nic.. it is so true. I did read the thread on how you all got your nics I will go and post how i got mine too.
When i first started dialysis, they told us nothing (seemed to be the way things were back then) and i had to fly by the seat of my pants so to speak. So I learned the hard way but I sure did learn to ask questions and demand answers.
 See ya all on the boards.. Again thanks for letting me be here...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff........
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »

Welcome, glad you found us. Do us a favor and help spread the word. Be sure to visit the rules/important threads section, here is a link:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=31.0 Ask questions, rant/vent, make some new friends, play some games, that's what this site is all about. Welcome.

I love it when members give a nice big introduction post, it really helps us get to know you better. Sorry I am just welcoming you, I have been really busy working on the site.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:52:52 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »

Hi Barb,

Glad you're here.  My husband will be starting dialysis soon -- GFR 11.

If you're looking for "why" and a "reason" this is as good a place as any, and probably better than most.  We need people with experience and willing to share.

Hope you feel at home and post often.

Lorelle

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 07:25:17 PM »

Hi Barb :) You look like a friendly lady :) Welcome (I know .. late .. but there is SOOOO much to read here lol)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »