I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 02:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Daughter gives her father life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daughter gives her father life  (Read 1185 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 24, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

Daughter gives her father life
Posted By HEATHER TRAVIS
Posted 17 hours ago

Lynn Martin knew he couldn't live forever on kidney dialysis, but he wasn't sure the next step was one he wanted to take.

In 1999, Martin was told by doctors that his kidneys were not working properly, forcing him to make a life-altering choice to have a transplant or go on dialysis.

Martin recently sat down with The Chatham Daily News to talk about his "amazing kidney," the theme of World Kidney Day, which was celebrated on March 13.

"With kidney failure, you have an 'I can't move' sensation," said the 69-year-old Chatham resident, noting he felt tired and his skin turned a greyish colour.

Martin's two children, Beth and Chris, were tested to see if their kidneys would match his for a transplant and Beth's did.

"At the time, I didn't really want Beth to donate her kidney," he said.

Martin was concerned that by giving up one of her kidneys, Beth, 42, might be putting herself at risk in the long-term.

Martin's brother, Art, died of kidney failure in his twenties and with kidney problems running in the family, he was afraid Beth might need the extra organ down the road.

"I said, 'you're taking it," said Beth. "I have two . . . I don't need two."

In spite of Beth's commitment, Martin experienced another set back - he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in December 2000. A few months later, he underwent prostate surgery.

The diagnosis also meant he could not receive a transplant until he was cancer-free for five years.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Martin's kidneys continued to fail and his doctors encouraged him to start on dialysis.

"It was a traumatic change learning everything that had to be done," he said. "It changed my lifestyle but it didn't stop me from doing the things I did before."

Martin learned how to travel with his peritoneal dialysis machine, which takes the toxins typically absorbed by the kidneys and stores it in a catheter inserted in the peritoneal cavity of the abdomen. For eight hours every night, he would hook up to the dialysis machine to remove the toxins.

Although Martin said he was "living a good life on dialysis," he knew it was only a temporary solution.

"The natural kidney function is much better than an artificial kidney," said Dr. Bill Clark, nephrologist for the London Health Sciences Centre and medical advisor for The Kidney Foundation of Canada, Southwestern Ontario branch.

Once again, Beth underwent lengthy tests to ensure that she was in good health.

"I almost felt like a human pin cushion," she said.

Aware of the risk she was taking, Beth did not have any reservations about donating her kidney.

"If it rejects, you can't take it personally," she said. "Nothing is guaranteed."

Clark, who did not treat the Martins, said donors are carefully screened, so they have limited risks in surgery.

"If your function is normal and you lose one kidney, you are likely to do well," he said.

The anniversary of Beth and Martin's transplant surgery is April 26, 2006.

"Right up until it happened, I was concerned," said Martin.

"Dad was worried about me and I was worried about him," added Beth. Nearly two years after the transplant, Martin said he feels better than ever.

"Now all of a sudden, I am free to do whatever I want," he said.

Beth also now serves as the member of the foundation and Martin participates in the peer support groups.

Throughout the month of March, canvassers will be going door-to-door in Chatham-Kent to raise funds for the foundation. The goal for the Southwestern Ontario chapter is to raise $96,000.

For more information on how to donate to the March fundraising drive, visit www.kidney.on.ca.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=954832

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »