I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  mom with renal failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mom with renal failure  (Read 3717 times)
Shirleys daughter

« on: July 03, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »

Hi!
My mother is in the hospital as I write this in renal failure.  Yesterday the dr tried to clean out the renal arteries to help control her blood pressure, but the artery is 100 % blocked and they can not do any thing for her except dialysis, and BP meds.
The dr. is calling USC medical center regarding a artery bypass or kidney removal.
I am scared and new to all of this
Lisa
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »

Hi Lisa,  Welcome and i am glad you found us, i am sure in time, you will be glad too.  I am sorry to hear about your mom, the way  modern technology is nowadays, i believe your mom is going to be just fine.  It may take a little time for her to get used to the life change, but like myself,  i welcome it, afterall, what is the alternative?  Please make sure your mom has been told her options for dialysis,  she can do it in clinic or she can do it at home.  I am currently on PD (at home) (was in clinic) but i am happy with the way this is working for me at home.  Please dont be afraid to ask us any questions.  We all have something in common and we are all eager to help others any way we can.    Good luck to you and your mom and remember, we are here for you, k,   

Goofynina

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »

Welcome, Lisa, to our forum.  I am so glad that you found us.  This is a place for finding answers and interacting with caring people who have gone through and are going through just what you are experiencing right now.
Read through the posts that are already there, concerning anything you want to know about.  Or, create your own topic to deal with an issue you want discussed.
Check out General Discussion and FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions.
Looking forward to hearing from you.  We wish your mother well.  Our caring thoughts are with you both at this time.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »

Lisa, this is a good start.  The more you know about dialysis, the more questions you can ask the doctors.  They forget to tell you the "basic" things, like they use Needles for dialysis.  When I first started, I was so sick that if they told me that, it went right by me.  So, after using the catheter for a week in the hospital I went in clinic.  I saw them with needles going to the guy next to me and I about crapped!  It is a huge learning curve, but you tell you Mother to hang in there.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 11:55:05 PM »

Hi!
My mother is in the hospital as I write this in renal failure.  Yesterday the dr tried to clean out the renal arteries to help control her blood pressure, but the artery is 100 % blocked and they can not do any thing for her except dialysis, and BP meds.
The dr. is calling USC medical center regarding a artery bypass or kidney removal.
I am scared and new to all of this
Lisa

Welcome, we can walk you through any decisions you might be faced with, we are here for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Stay strong, you mom will be needing you.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Shirleys daughter

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:31:49 PM »

Thank's to all of you for your encouragement!
The day after I posted here, my mom was discharged from ICU (no transition) to the dialysis  center and them home.  The hospital called me and told me to come pick up my mother and take her to dialysis and then home!  No discharge planning, instructions, NOTHING!   Because It was 4th of July, there was nobody to help me with anything!!  Needless to say, she is back in the hospital, I think it was because we didn't know how to care for her, and the dialyisis made her sick so they told me to take her home, without being dialized!  Anyway!  I am rambling!   Call me frustrated, call me pissed off!
My mother is from the old school, where you don't question authority.
I am so glad that I have found this web site, and will try to visit often.
Thank you all!
Lisa
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »

I am so glad to hear from you again, though I am sorry to hear what you were put through.  Well, your mom in very fortunate that she has you.  You will have to be the one to question authority for her, then.  Keep reading, there are sure to be some old posts that will help clarify things for you.  If you don't find answers, then ask your own questions!  that is how we get to help each other.
Please remember that this is a very special site.  We are there for you, and that is not just a phrase with us.
My prayers and caring thoughts are with you.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:51:55 PM »

Okay, now let's continue in the "General Discussion" section so everyone will read this.  It is getting interesting and I don't think everyone keeps reading "Introduce Yourself." 

Thanks - Moderator - Rerun

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »