I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:29:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  how'd your pet get that name
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how'd your pet get that name  (Read 4645 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« on: March 22, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »

I once read an article on why people name their pets what they do.
It was so interesting. mine are;
slugger - cat - because my daughter had a baseball game that day and hit 3 homeruns
Homer - cat- to go with the homerun theme, we also called her Homer J - Simpsons
Sad Sack -- a bassett hound that was a stray - she was sleeping on a brown paper sack in our garage and my son said she looks like a sad sack
Yogi - our cow dog from a shelter--- he looked like a Yogi bear (cartoon character)   

Please share

EDITED: Fixed error in thread title-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:04:04 PM by kitkatz » Logged
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »

darn spell check doesn't do grammar

HOW'D YOUR PET GET THAT NAME   :shy; :shy;
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »

Good thread!
My 95 pound black lab mix (obtained from the SPCA 10 yrs ago) was named Sparky by my children. At the time they were reading over and over again a children's story about a fire house and the mascot dog's name was Sparky.
My 14 year old fluffy calico cat was named Sunny by my then 3 year old daughter because we got the cat on a very sunny day in the Fall.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »

Damn, I must be getting old, I thought I had already posted how our kids got their names. I can't find it. Must be another senior moment. Anyway, Willie was a gift to my husband from our son Billy (William) so that's how he got his name. Winnie, well when we first got her, the breeder was feeding the poor 1 pound puppy Science Diet and all she did was poo, so Winnie the Pooh. Our 15 year old Maine Coon Cat is the worlds best mouser and mole hunter since she was a kitten so we named her Mouse. It just works. The male Yorke we had before Willie was named Fleas, because no matter what, he always had one. Our bassett hound that lived to be 14 was named Sydney (she was our sons dog) but when he moved out we wouldn't let him take her. This was the only home she had ever known and our Yorke would of been lost.

twirl, you ask a simple question, and I wrote a book. petey must be wearing off on me.   :rofl;

Edited: Fixed smiley - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:53:11 AM by willieandwinnie » Logged

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »

Scooter was already named Scooter when I got him.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:08:37 PM by Sluff » Logged
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »

Boomer is named after Boomer Esiason, a former cincinnati Bengals' (football) quarterback. My husbandnamed him. Zoe got the name because it just came to me. She looked like a Zoe.

My best friend used to have a Betta fish named Masta. Masta Betta. Get it?  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;  Sorry, it's so funny, I just had to add that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:25:09 PM by paddbear0000 » Logged

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »

When I had my parrot, she was named boogie check after aWLS Radio morning program named animal stories. she danced around when she heard that name.
My dog Niko was named after two people, one was a Steven Sagal character and the other was a girl I use to know. I just liked the name and the dog answered to it.
My mom's male cat iis named patches, well because he has differentshades of fur patches.
My mom's cat Taffy Solara, I really don't know. We were talking about names on the way home after we met with the breeder to pick her out a couple months before she was allowed to come home. Not sure where Taffy came from, Solara, maybe because it was a car mom wanted (she did till she sat in one).
Prior to those two cat's, she had a cat named Bandit, because when he was a kitten and his fur did not turn to his mature color, he looked like he had a mask on.
When I was younger I had a parakeet named sweetie. We use to bred parakeets and his mother attacked all her young. He almost lost his foot and he always wanted to be around us and chatted up a storm.

Now when we get a future pup, who knows what the name will be.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:01:58 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »

Adrianne and Pebbles were already named when I adopted them.  But I have nick-names for them   

Adrianne:  AD, Adriannabananna, Orka,

Pebbles:  Pebby Sue,  Suedy, Smoka bear

I have songs I sing to them also:

ahh hem:  You are, you are, you are my shinny star..........

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »

dog-daughters  middle  name

crab- cause  its  got  flame  stripes  all  over  the  shell

cocatiels-  not  sure,  a  boy  and  a  girl.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »

First cat I bought myself cost $10 so I named her Sawbuck. miss her

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »

The cat I have now is Pumpkin Pie, because she is black with a triangle of orange on her head.  Edward Jacque, who started out as Eddie, became Jacque for Jacque Cousteau because he loved water and would stand in the shower with me.  Jacque's sister Grace was named that because she was the least graceful cat I've ever seen!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »

twirl, you ask a simple question, and I wrote a book. petey must be wearing off on me. :ROFL;

w&w --   :rofl; It's nice for me to have a GOOD influence on a friend for once!   :rofl;

I think I've posted somewhere on here how my dog Hop-Sing got his name.  He's a Pug/Pekingese mix, and my mom said since both of these breeds were of Chinese origins that I should give him a Chinese name.  (My mom is a very "proper" lady and believes in having meaning for everything you do.)  I didn't know any Chinese names, but my Marvin said he watched "Bonanza" as a little boy and the Cartwright family had a Chinese cook named Hop-Sing.  Ta-da!  Hey, it's different!  (BTW, my mom was NOT impressed with his name.)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

Missy the dog- named Missy when we adopted her from BARC a shelter. We call her missy Maybeline because she has dark area around her eyes.
Nanny Cat- Full name was Conannette the Destroyer because she laid on every house plant I owned and killed them when she was a kitten.  Her name has gone from Conannette to Kono, to Nannette, to Nanny.  She is my kid's Nanny. She yelled at me every time I yelled at the kids. She is our in between cat on the bed at night.
Ming- named because it sounded Oriental for a Siamese cat.  It fits her, too.
Aslan- after the big cat in Chronicles of Narnia.  He is 18 pound of cat, so it fits, too.

We had a dog named Coco because she was brown in color.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 06:40:13 AM »

When I moved out of my mom's house and half way across the country, I left my pets with her. The dogs were very old and comfortable there, and my husband (then a boyfriend), was allergic to the cats. My Lab is named Paddington, after Paddington Bear. I was cleaning out the attic and found my old Paddington Bear stuffed animal. My Beagle is named Yogi after Yogi Bear. He was named that because it fit with the bear name of Paddington. My siamese is named Yoshi. He came with the name when I saved him for being put down at the vet I worked for. My lilac point snowshoe siamese is named Blue because of his intense blue eyes. And my tuxedo cat is named Charlie because he looked like a Charlie.

The vet I worked for had a resident cat named Crowbait. We also had a resident crow (we also did wildlife rescue) who would chase the cat when he was a kitten. Hence Crowbait!   :rofl;  Best name ever!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

Lucky was named that when we got him from the shelter.

Previous pets were:

Cat - Almond Joy (Joy for short) because she was always attacking the blinds on the patio doors. "sometimes you feel like a nut"
Cat - Mounds because we couldn't think of anything else, and he came about 6 months after Joy.
Bassett - Goober because her brown was kind of the color of peanuts.
Bassett - Buddy short for Nutty Buddy, sticking with the candy theme.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 04:06:03 AM »

I named my yellow lab "Cass" then as she got older I added "Momma" She liked to eat and started resembling Momma and the Papas star. So hence...Momma Cass or it got to be that my step daughters called her "Big Fat Momma Cass"  Loved her!!!...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »

Over the rainbow bridge:

- Skeeter: I used to watch "Mama's Family" and liked the sound of the name.
- Spot: When I got Skeeter and Spot, I really wanted both a dog and a puppy. I lived in an apartment and could only have two cats, so she was my "dog." She was a solid black cat -- my little black spot.
- Zoie: A dachshund. I got her from a former manager who's daughter had named her Zoie.

My current crew:
- Clyde: I always thought that was a yucky boy name, but a cute girl name.
- Oscar & Eliza: Two of Clyde's kittens. I just like old-fashioned names for my critters.
- Precious: A cat. She came with the name. She was a former feral that a friend of a friend was trying to re-home. I didn'treally like the name. It's so not "me," but I got used to it.
- Sammy: A stray / dumped cat. The name just seemed to fit.
- Princess Izzy Isabella: Dachshund I got from a breeder. It keeps with that old-name theme, but the breeder said she came from champions, so I tacked on "Princess." I mostly call her Bella or Bella-da-ball because she is the bell of the ball and she's very ball-obsessed.
- Tigger: Yorkie-mix from a rescue. He came with the name. Another name I didn't really like, but he already had plenty of issues and I didn't want to make an issue of his name. I was originally thinking of calling him Sir Ichabod, so I'd have Icky and Izzy, or as a friend's daughter said, the Bell and the Bod. Instead, he's usually just "Tig."

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »

My Greyhound's name is Frost.  His racing name was Snow Frost and when we adopted him we didn't know we could change his name, because the racers are never called by their name because they don't want them distracted when people are yelling their name when they are racing.  Isn't that sad!  My baby was 5 years old when he retired from racing.  Can you imagine - 5 years without anyone calling you by a name and no hands on loving.  He get's plent now!!!!!!!!

My Lab/mix's name is Pup.  My husband found him and brought him home.  At the time I didn't think I could share my love with two dogs, so I said the first thing I could thing of thinking I wouldn't get attached.  No such luck.  He's my other baby!  What a character!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »

I had before moving recently into my apartment..
A lab.. named Scout - my kids are scouts
A siamese .. named Lucky.... i found her in my car engine two winters ago (winter in Florida?)
A cat named .. Chaos (originally total chaos in the house) later changed to Fat Ass.. cause she was huge!

And the one I miss the most.. my familiar.. the one that knew every time I felt sad or ill.. Dora (as in the explorer) I used to find her napping in all the wierd places... but usually curled up around my hands or up against me under the covers while i slept..
I miss her terribly..

Heck my pets were better behaved than my kids growing up!   :Kit n Stik;

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »

Frost is gorgeous! The stories about greyhound racing just breaks my heart. Give him a  :big hug: for me!

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 11:41:08 AM »

Thank you!  I'll definitely give him a big hug from you, Padd!  He loves to be loved on!     :big hug:

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 05:41:21 AM »

We rescue dogs, so most of them have already come with names.  Skye was 5 and Luke was 2 when we rescued them, we liked their names so kept them.  Scooby Doo was named by my son, he LOVES to watch the show and our Scooby is just as goofy as the cartoon one.  It's also a name you can't get mad at!  It sounds so funny to scold him when he gets into something that he shouldn't.  How can you say Scooby in a stern voice without laughing?   ;D

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
highlite36

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »

I think all pets should have great names because it gives them the chance to build a great reputation for the name.  My twenty two month old shih tzu/bichon mix is named Gilbert Francis.  I chose Gilbert after watching Gilbert Arenas play in the 2005 NBA Playoffs.  And it's not even that I like Arenas any more than any other player.....actually, come to think of it, I can't stand to watch basketball.  But I LOVED how all of the reporters labelled Gilbert Arenas' ideas as "Gilbertology" because some of his opinions are completely left field.  And let me tell you....my Gilbert DEFINES "Gilbertology" to the very letter.....  And a middle name.....well, all dogs should have a middle name.  And I went with Francis after watching "Stripes."  I should've stuck with Psycho, but Francis sounded MUCH better with Gilbert.    LOL  FUNNNY!!!  And then there's Maximus Augustus, my newly adopted seventeen month old Pug/Terrier mix.  He came to me as Maximus.  And he surely lives his life to the MAX....  I had to add Augustus because...well, he needed a middle name....and August is my birth month and in my opinion the most AWESOME month because the weather is perfect....  so I stuck with Augustus.  It's also slightly feminine and with such a strong first name, I needed to make sure that his name was balanced.  :-)  My partner thinks that I completely went off the deep end with the middle names.....wait'll he finds out that I've got birthday parties planned for BOTH puppies and the invitations already went out and the special peanut butter flavored cake has already been ordered....   :bandance;

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Krisna

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »

Well, our male cat who disappeared several years ago was named, "Dave" because he was a stray who had broken into the South Service Station at Seattle City Light.  He was found in hubby's coworker, Dave's, chair.  Hubby had Dave the cat when we met.  He was a pure bred Seal Point Siamese or at least that's what the 3 vets we took him to told us.

The other cat we got from some friends when she was a kitten and we chose "Misty" because we thought it went well with "Dave".

I had two cats when I was a teen.  The older one I got from a teacher at my Junior High.  She had brought this stray in to see if any of us students could take her home so the teacher wouldn't have to take her to the pound.  I took her home and she was a Siamese/Calico mix and I named her "Nutmeg."  My mom would never take her to get spayed so she wound up having tons of kittens.  I kept one and named her, "Tabitha" or "Tabby" for short!  I just really liked that name at the time.  Both those cats loved to drink Pepsi and eat Chicken in a Biscuit Crackers!  Tabby used to get her head stuck in my Tupperware glass because she was trying to get the Pepsi!  Tabby loved the water too!  I trained her to take baths and let me use the hair dryer on her too!  That cat would always jump in the tub with me!  She also liked when I took her for a ride in the basket on my bike!  I couldn't take them with me when I moved in with my dad, though so I had to give them away!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »

My bull terriers, Chloe & Dorothy:

With Chloe I just wrote down a list of girls' names that I liked and picked one. Boring.

With Dorothy, she was already named when I got her from the breeder. Originally she was going to be exported to another breeder in the U.S. and that breeder named her Dorothy after The Wizard of Oz.... because she came from Oz (Australia, that is lol).

I used to have a lovebird called Dill. Because when we first got her she was hanging upside down on her swing and just generally acting like a dill.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »