I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Man says stress, gas prices pushed him to beat wife
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man says stress, gas prices pushed him to beat wife  (Read 1648 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 01, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »

Man says stress, gas prices pushed him to beat wife

BY AUSTIN L. MILLER
STAR-BANNER
Mar. 1, 2008

OCALA — Richard Close, 77, said he drank two beers a day; it helped ease the stress. He was overworked. His wife was sick. High gasoline prices had hit home, especially with all those trips taking her to and from kidney dialysis.

Close said he went to get a beer Thursday night. His wife told him he'd had enough.

"I just blew my stack," he said.
Marion County Sheriff's deputies were called to the couple's home in Smith Lake Estates, which is off County Road 25 east of Belleview. Betty Close told them her husband had beaten her.

He had been drinking, and when he drinks he gets angry, she told deputies. She said they argued and he grabbed the arm used during dialysis. "I can break every bone in your body," he said, according to a Sheriff's Office report. She said he choked her and pushed her down.

Richard Close was arrested on a charge of aggravated battery and battery on a person older than 65.

"I blame it on fatigue," he said Friday during an interview at the Marion County Jail. "I'm working 19 hours days, seven days a week, and when I'm told I can't do this and I can't do that, I just blew my stack.

"I've never done anything in 26 years to harm her. I've dedicated my life just to take care of her," a somber Close said.

Close said his life turned upside down when doctors in Illinois placed Betty, 74, on kidney dialysis.

Over the Christmas holidays, his wife of 26 years went to visit her family. She had to go to the hospital, and doctors placed her on dialysis.

When she returned, Close said, his stress began.

Because of the high price of gas, driving to and from The Villages for Betty's dialysis treatment costs a lot. Before, he said, their gas bill was $60 a month; it climbed to $140 a month.

In the past 18 days, Close said, he received three big bills: his wife's insurance bill of $347, the homeowner's insurance bill of $851 a year, and the monthly bill of $358.88 for their 2005 Chrysler van.

He said he and his wife receive $1,827.53 in Social Security payments and other benefits. Medicare and his wife's insurance pick up the medical bills.

But that income just isn't enough, Close said. For seven years he has worked as a security guard in his community to make extra money. The added responsibility, he said, weighs heavily on him.

"We wake up at 4 a.m. because her treatment begins at 6 a.m. She finishes at 10 a.m. and we try to eat at 11 a.m. After that, we go home, and then I do some laundry and house work so I can take some of the pressure off her," he said during the interview.

With the charges, Close said, he cannot go home. It is a domestic case, and he is forbidden to go near his wife. Though he says he has called someone to post bail for him, he doesn't know where to turn.

"I don't have anyone to turn to, and I'm too proud to ask for help," he said. "I'm sorry it happened. It's not me."

Betty Close could not be reached for comment.

She told a deputy that her husband drinks heavily and his temper has "become increasingly worse," according to the Sheriff's Office report. She and her sister told the deputy they were going to seek an injunction for protection. She planned to stay with her sister until her son arrives, then she would move to Illinois.

"I don't have any idea what I would do," Close said when asked about her leaving him. "Life wouldn't be worth living."

Austin L. Miller may be reached at austin.miller@starbanner.com or 352-867-4118.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080301/NEWS/803010364/1001/NEWS01

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:35:32 PM »

It sounds like life got to him.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »

Stress or no stress, it sounds like he's an arrogant snobby little baby who can't control himself, and he tries to drink away his problems. It just sickened me reading about him grabbing her ACCESS ARM and chocking and pushing her. Like Kitkatz said, it sounds like life just kicked him in the arse.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »

Now it's her turn.  :boxing;
st789

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

What stress????
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »