I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  CHICAGO: IHD first 2nd Annual Member Meeting
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHICAGO: IHD first 2nd Annual Member Meeting  (Read 116499 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »

Anyone that is going to Chicago can comment on what sounds interesting to you. Please comment so paris gets an idea of what you want. Thanks Chris also for all your help.
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Sluff and Paris..I'm really easy going and can enjoy anything and everything....Just meeting everyone that's going will be such fun.
 :cowboy:

I'll nudge Keith   :cuddle;  and see if there is anything in particular that sparks his interest.

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

http://www.chicagotours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=8655   

This is a boat tour leaving the Navy Pier.  I am looking at activities that do not include lots of walking. Some of us don't walk very long distances.  Navy Pier is a good starting point for sightseeing. I am hoping that with several of us having cars, going downtown may not be too difficult. Feedback and input is greatly appreciated!  Dinner is at 4 on Saturday, so we can make plans for Saturday morning, Saturday after dinner or Sunday.  Or we can hang out in Sluff's room all day :sluff;

The key word is cars for traveling in Chicago. There is an old law from the late 1800's that has never changed that states it is illegal to drive a truck on Lake Shore Drive (Hence traveling to Nay Pier). And I have a truck with truck plates. Chicago cops are not to friendly when giving out tickets, so best I avoid it even though some people do still try to drive on Lake Shore Drive with a truck. So when I go downtown, I take the train and usually a cab to where I need to go. There is a commuter train that runs to Chicago that stops in Tinley Park. I looked it up, but forgot the cost for a ticket, was trying to find weekend fare when internet went down. It is a different commuter line that ends at a different point in Chicago than the commuter line I normally take to Chicago, so not familar with the train station.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »

My daughter and I bought a very reasonable two day transit pass that got us around Chicago quite easily on the bus system.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »

My daughter and I bought a very reasonable two day transit pass that got us around Chicago quite easily on the bus system.

I looked up CTA's website for the fare, for a visitors pass for 1 day is $5 and a 2 day is $9. You can buy them online or it says you can get those passes at specific locations. A couple locations were Midway Airport, O'Hare Airport, and Navy Pier, with other locations harder to find. However, when I go to my doctor in Chicago in June, they have a vending machine for them at Union Station where I take the train to and from Chicago and I can pick some up then if we have a plan to use the bus.
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/fares.html

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2008, 07:28:41 PM »

Thanks Chris, It is nice having our own insider!   I haven't been to Chicago in a couple of years.  We have relatives in Lake Forest and last time we visited we enjoyed the Navy Pier and Lincoln Park Zoo.  Navy Pier worked for us because those with endless energy could walk and explore and those of us with no energy (me) could sit and enjoy the water, the bands playing,etc.  The Zoo involved lots of walking although it was really nice.  So we may come up with options for everyone.   I was a chaperon with 26,000 teenagers in Dallas for a convention.  I am crazy--I love teenagers!  Anyway, I am sure this group will be easier and we can come up with great ideas for everyone.  At least I won't have to do a bed check!   :rofl; :rofl;   Right??    Then again, I was on a band trip to Florida, and we had two chaperones having a wonderful time, but not with their own spouses!!

I think when we know times of people's arrivals and departures, we will have a better idea of how much we can plan.      The trolley sounds good and also, the transit pass .  Thanks everyone.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

Thanks Kitkatz. That info is a great help.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2008, 08:57:17 AM »

Anyone that is going to Chicago can comment on what sounds interesting to you. Please comment so paris gets an idea of what you want. Thanks Chris also for all your help.

Paris, we have PMed you with a bit more info than this:

From the Chicago Tours link :
Nighttime Supernatural Cruise (we enjoy the haunted stuff) - Saturday night, 9:30-12midnight
Tommy Gun's Garage Dinner Show - Friday @7pm, Sunday @5:30pm

We also love walking tours and have very successfully done them in New Orleans and Savannah (Rolando is in a wheelchair). For those who are not comfortable with walking, perhaps an electric wheelchair or "go-cart" will help. I will see if I can find pricing/availability.

The Navy Yard pier looks like a happening place at all times. There are fireworks (free) at the pier @ 10:15pm on Saturday

We are arriving Friday night, very very late and leaving Wednesday midday.  :bandance;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »

Ooooh a haunted tour!!!!!!

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2008, 07:28:06 PM »

Depending on what's planned for Saturday, I can commit to Friday. With night activities in an unfamilar place, I have difficulty getting around due to my eye impairments. So for me, a well lit area is best for me, but do not want to ruin anyones plans. Needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few comes to mind. Boat tours have been fun. Maybe once we have an idea of what to do, we can make a poll to decide matter of importance to do or something to that effect.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »

Yay.. boat tour!!.. I love the oceans, lakes, rivers... water!!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »

Seems like one of the boat tours may be a good idea. And the Navy Pier.  Keep posting ideas.    Thanks to all for input.   A and R, got the pm!  Thanks for researching.  It is fun to see what everyone's interest are.  Looks like we can make a few good choices.   You all are the best :guitar:   I am singing your praises!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:13:40 PM by paris » Logged

mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:57 AM »

:sir ken;

oops sorry i meant bump! lolol

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »

I'm for whatever Paris comes up with and if I can't do it I won't, sometimes we breakup into smaller group so everyone does something with others.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »

Thanks Sluff.  I am thinking of having options printed out so we can see what is available and then go together or go in groups.  I know for some of us, it will depend on how we feel that day.  The boat tour and Navy Pier are the two I am getting the most response to. We will have lots of options and I think "visiting" will be the #1 priority.  As we get closer, we will have more definate plans.  Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions----love you all :grouphug;

devlinswife

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »

ok, so this may be a stupid question, but how do we go about getting a room? Do we call the hotel ourselfs and ask for a room in the reserved block or do we book it through you? Also do we have our own rooms or do we share with other IHD members? I have never done this before so I'm just wondering.

Live each day as if it will be your last!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »

On page 3, Sluff has posted all the hotel info; location, prices, group name.  You will contact the hotel, give them the group name and then book the room.     Anyone could share rooms if they would like to--------hmmmmm, that could be very interesting!    :pics;  :rofl;    Let Sluff know if ypu have any problems.  See you in Chicago!!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2008, 09:35:25 PM »

Just remember folks going to Chicago, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »

In Chicago, this is what we do when someone takes  :pics; :pics; :pics; :boxing; :boxing; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »

Oh boy.. so that means we will have rooms next to each other possibly?..!

I remember going to swim meets and water polo tournaments with my daughter..
that the floor we were on.. there was never a closed door.. everyone just traveled in/out
tv's going, music going.. it was a blast.. :bandance;

The  :pics; we snatched of those unaware sleeping in the oddest positions!! :rofl;
And none new it till it went on the team website..had to duck a lot of  :boxing; and run from  :Kit n Stik;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2008, 04:37:46 AM »

ok, so this may be a stupid question, but how do we go about getting a room? Do we call the hotel ourselfs and ask for a room in the reserved block or do we book it through you? Also do we have our own rooms or do we share with other IHD members? I have never done this before so I'm just wondering.

Although that would be interesting we will have our own rooms. If you want to share the expense of the room then post it and maybe someone who can't afford a room would be willing.

Also if someone is not going because of the cost I may be able to help. PM me if that is the only reason you are not going.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

Oh boy.. so that means we will have rooms next to each other possibly?..!

Probably not. When we booked a block of rooms for our wedding guests, they weren't together. We were told they just block off available rooms. It's not actually a 'block' of rooms. Rarely are they all together. Especially in a big city full of tourists, with rooms constantly with occupants.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »

Some of us were together in Vegas;  several on the 2nd and 14th floors.  Jill D. and her husband, Jim, were next to us.  Ask Jill about Jill sleeping in our room! :rofl;     Sluff, Kit and Susie's rooms were close.    I have a feeling we will all be bumping into each other every time we leave our rooms. :yahoo;   Can't wait!                 

devlinswife

« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »

I do NOT want to share a room, sorry but if hubby and I get away alone we want some ALONE time--lol. But the kids might be with us, they haven't decided if they want to go or not. So Richard age 15 and CG age 14 might be there. It all depends on sports schedules. Thanks for answering my questions.

Live each day as if it will be your last!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »

A reminder that No-one has booked their rooms yet, please do it soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »