I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  matthew meyer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: matthew meyer  (Read 3185 times)
mmeyerwyo

« on: June 24, 2006, 09:48:57 AM »

Hello fellow kidney nerds, im a 36 year old male from evanston wyoming.  I have been on dialysis for a year, and yes it sucks.  The hardest part for me is that freaken fluid restiction.  one liter a day, some mad man idea of punishment.  I had no idea that i was sick.  On Easter 2005 is when i went to the hospital via the emergency room.  I actually thought i was going crazy and was going to check into the state hospital.  I am not a smart man, you would think that after three months of vomiting and my feet swelling up over my shoes i would go to a doctor.  I did not, like i wrote, I thought it was all in my head.  anyway i have a four hour treatment.  I started at three, went to four went to four and a half then to three fortyfive and again to four.  I hate trying to explain to my doctor that this is a violent experince for me.  He goes by the numbers, i go by how i feel.  i tried  to explain to him that i think less time would be more beneficial to my overall health, but to no satifaction for me.  I have a daughter that is nine that lived with me the past year.  It killed me inside to have her come into my room as i laid there trying to recooperate from my sessions when all she wanted to do was play. 
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:05:44 AM »

Hi, Matthew!  Welcome to this message board.  I totally understand how you feel.  In my case, it is my 3 year old grandson, who didn't understand why Grandma was only lying down, and not getting up and doing stuff with him.
But it gets a bit better as your body gets accustomed to the routine.  I started in September and was on 4 hours from then until now.  I was seeking to get the time shortened, but since I learnt that longer is better, I accepted it.
The fluid restriction is a real bummer.  I live in the tropics and these days are HOT!  All I want to do is drink and drink, and then drink.  But I have been learning to restrict myself.  Ice cubes are my friends these days.  And though I have to watch out because I am diabetic, instead of drinking a whole drink, I spend some time with an ice pop.  It works because I have not been having lots of fluid to take off when I go for my dialysis.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:04:54 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »

Hello fellow kidney nerds, im a 36 year old male from evanston wyoming.  I have been on dialysis for a year, and yes it sucks.  The hardest part for me is that freaken fluid restiction.  one liter a day, some mad man idea of punishment.  I had no idea that i was sick.  On Easter 2005 is when i went to the hospital via the emergency room.  I actually thought i was going crazy and was going to check into the state hospital.  I am not a smart man, you would think that after three months of vomiting and my feet swelling up over my shoes i would go to a doctor.  I did not, like i wrote, I thought it was all in my head.  anyway i have a four hour treatment.  I started at three, went to four went to four and a half then to three fortyfive and again to four.  I hate trying to explain to my doctor that this is a violent experince for me.  He goes by the numbers, i go by how i feel.  i tried  to explain to him that i think less time would be more beneficial to my overall health, but to no satifaction for me.  I have a daughter that is nine that lived with me the past year.  It killed me inside to have her come into my room as i laid there trying to recooperate from my sessions when all she wanted to do was play. 

Hello Matthew,

Welcome to the site, you and I have a couple of things in common, we are both are in our mid thirties and we both have a 9 year old child. Ok here's the situation, and I will say it so you can hear loud and clear, ready........

IT'S YOUR BODY, ONLY YOU KNOW HOW YOU REALLY FEEL NOT THE DOCTORS, THEY GO BY NUMBERS BASED UPON STATISITCS AND A GENERAL CONSENSUS OF DOCTORS. IF YOU WANT SHORTER DIALYSIS, IT'S YOUR DECISION, AND YOUR RIGHT, BOTTOMLINE!

Now, it's true the longer you dialysis the better your blood is cleansed, that's a fact however, if you feel like crap afterwards and are not functional what good is a longer life, my doctor has been trying to get me to run 4 hours for many, many years. But I would be totally drained afterwards, everyone is different some can tolerate 4 hours no problems, hell some do 6 hours. But for me the sweet spot is 3 hours, I usually am very functional after 3 hours. Remember the dialyzer does not just remove the toxins, it removes the "good" stuff too. You will not get in trouble for cutting your time, the doctor may get pissed but screw him, he's not the one having his blood sucked out. He or the center or wherever you get dialysis, may have you sign a A.M.A. (Against Medical Advice) form to cover their asses. But know problem just sign it and start feeling better.

Now remember you need to make sure your KT/V is good, and as long as your labs are good when you run just 3 hours then it's OK. But hey I'm not a doctor so don't take my advice, I have just been on dialysis 13 years straight no transplant.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 06:33:30 PM »

Welcome Matthew.  I didn't know they had computers in Wyoming? (JK)  Welcome to the site. 

Don't kick yourself too hard about not going to a doctor for 3 months before being in emergency.  I went to one and for 3 months he treated me for an inner ear infection for God Sakes!   GEEE ear infection / kidney failure.  DAH!!!

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »

Welcome Matthew.
scyankee

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »

Hello Matthew,
  Hope you are feeling alittle better.  I run @ 3.75 hrs from 4.5. I made the decision and as long as my labs
are still good, that is fine with me.

You are in charge!
  Best of luck,
  SCYankee
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »