I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Procrit trials possibly tainted by Insurance Companies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Procrit trials possibly tainted by Insurance Companies  (Read 1455 times)
gorwell1984

« on: February 23, 2008, 08:28:10 PM »

A very good friend is a professor in the bio science lab at the University of Cincinnati. A very good friend that has been the 2nd leading scientist running tests on certain hemo drugs has just written a paper regarding the different results they received from their 18 month study on EPO drugs.
Although he says it's too early to tell for sure he feels that the insurance companies had something to do with certain trials being tainted which led the FDA to require black box warnings to all EPO hormone pharmaceuticals.

Both, my very long time friend and his colleagues have always been against "big brother" and large corporation's influence in healthcare. My friend lost his job at the University of San Diego several years ago by uncovering certain claims led by the Insurance Industry in a move to save money and undermine several privately run scientific medical trials. Four of 6 scientists on that particular trial study received substantial monitary severance incentives to move on and keep their mouths shut.

Below is an excerpt from a paper that has just been submitted to be published which originated by the University team leader of the trial in Cincinnati two weeks ago. The documentation made it's way to the FDA where they quoted the UC trial team leader.

"The agency is in the process of re-evaluating the safety of Aransep, Epogen, and Procrit on the basis of the results of recent clinical studies,” said Steven Galson, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research".
At $1000 per injection I'm sure the insurance industry has every reason in the world to do anything possible to keep from having to spend  that much money on patients that are anemic.
BigSteve

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

If you have knowledge of clinical trials which contraindicate those trials which the FDA is using for those
"black box" warnings please give us citations or abstracts. If I am not mistaken the trials used by the
FDA showed increased risk of heart attacks when EPO drugs were given when Hemoglobin was above
13. I believe this was as they were used with cancer patients.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »