I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  loved and lost
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: loved and lost  (Read 8564 times)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »

In the thread about Goofynina, mallory said it was hard having to deal with losing someone like Susie.  I agree.  In Marvin's 12 1/2-year experience with in-center hemodialysis, he saw a lot of other patients/friends come and, unfortunately, go.  At his clinic, very few of the patients were even on the list, so when they left the clinic, it was almost always because they died.  Marvin had a hard time with that.

When he first started, Marvin was the clinic's "baby."  All the other patients thought they had to "look out" for him because he was so young (only 39 at the time).  Over the years, he got close to quite a few of the ones there.  By the time he left in-center for home hemo last summer, Marvin had become the "longest survivor" at his clinic, and that really, really bothered him.  He said at 52 years old, he was too young to have the most seniority there.  Don't take that wrong...Marvin is so happy that he's a long-time survivor, but he said that when you've been the longest there, you had to watch a lot of the others go before you.

I keep reminding Marvin of the saying, "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."  I think I'll try to remember that about Goofynina, too.  It was hard to lose her, but I'm so glad I knew her.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:16:54 PM »

I was thinking about how we need to have an outpouring of love for
our family and friends while they are living as well as when thed leave us.
When people touch our lives, ouch our heaarts in a good way, we really
need to let them know how much they are appreciated.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

I think we all take our loved ones for granted, we assume they just know we love them. Unfortunately loss is part of Love.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

I know, since Goofy was taken back to the hospital with complications, I had been
more overt in my actions and talk with family and friends. We do need to be more
loving towards our loved ones, let them know how much we love them, and appreciate
them as they are.  -*********
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »

Don't forget those right here in front of us, the moderators and the Admin, Sluff & Rossman ( Rossman is behind the scenes, but just as important no less ). Thanks to all of you for your hard work and all your efforts here at IHD.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Don't forget those right here in front of us, the moderators and the Admin, Sluff & Rossman ( Rossman is behind the scenes, but just as important no less ). Thanks to all of you for your hard work and all your efforts here at IHD.

Thank you JP.  :beer1;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Goofynina was always writing "lol" and sending big hugs to those on IHD.  I want to try (though I know I'll come short) to follow her example.  I want to try to be more open with my love and appreciation for those who are important in my life.  I will try to give hugs and "I love yous" more to my family and friends.  I also want to find more laughter in my everyday life (Goofynina-style! -- my, how she did love to laugh and "cut up" and enjoy life).

Here's what I want to say to some of you, my IHD family:

Sluff -- you are a rock!  From my time here, I've come to realize that you are the backbone of IHD.  This site means so much to me and has helped me tremendously -- thank you, Sluff! for being our rock and for helping to make this a place where I can come to share, cry, and laugh.  You are our leader -- and you're a damn good one!  You are the ultimate Daddy-O of all Daddy-O's.

Karol -- You are a wealth of knowledge and a source of inspiration.  You're always there!  You are the "steady" of IHD -- when someone has a question, you're there; when someone is hurting, you're there; when someone is happy, you're there.  You give so much of your time and your attention to us.  Now that Jenna (that beautiful, beautiful child) has a "new" kidney, you could have said, "See you later.  Jenna's got her transplant and through with dialysis, and the rest of you are on your own."  But, you didn't.  You stuck in here with us.  You're still here helping us walk this difficult, difficult road.  That makes you tops in my book!

Kitkatz -- You make us all think.  Your posts are so thought-provoking.  I'm absolutely awed by your intelligence and insight.  I'm also mighty impressed by your persistance -- what an inspiration you are.  In my next life, I want to come back as your twin!

willieandwinnie -- you're my "new" sister -- and I love you!  You know exactly where I am because you're there, too.

paris -- you're an angel.  You showed up at the hospital when I needed a little "pick-me-up" the most.  I will never, never, never, never forget that!

...stayed tuned for more -- I'm not through yet!!

Thank you all for being a part of my life.
Marsha

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »

Marsha,
That is a beautiful post.  :2thumbsup;

I agree with Joe Paul.  :2thumbsup;

And a big Thank You to everyone here.  :thx;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »

I know I have said this before but it is worth repeating.

IHD would not exist if it weren't for the members who post religiously. Yes it was a great idea that our wonderful creator Epoman had when he devoted his life to the renal community with all of his many websites, however all the things the Admin team does would not be needed without our faithful members, so in reality the credit goes to our members.  ;)

Getting a thank you now and then is very much appreciated.
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »

In Marvin's 12 1/2-year experience with in-center hemodialysis, he saw a lot of other patients/friends come and, unfortunately, go. At his clinic, very few of the patients were even on the list, so when they left the clinic, it was almost always because they died. Marvin had a hard time with that.

I have seen some very young patients die and it was very scary for me being that I was around the same age as these patients. One girl was 22 years old and she liked to skip dialysis and come in late. Another guy was 27 and he told me all about how he felt grateful that he was able to have a son while he had his transplant. I wish I had reached out to these patients. I might have not been able to save them but maybe I could tell you more about them.

Rest in peace to all of my kidney sisters and brothers that have left this world too soon.

CW

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »

It's not just in times of great sorrow, but also times of great joy, that I notice myself letting my family know how much they mean to me. Like others have said, though, I need to remember during the everyday times. My family is why I persevere through everything.

And to my adopted family here on IHD, thank you listening and caring and understanding all I've been through. Y'all are great! Sluff, Karol, Kit, Bajanne, and Rossman (any any others I might have forgotten...sorry!) thank you for everything you do to keep this site working - it's always there when I need it!  :clap;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »

Losing someone we felt so close to hurts.  I know there is a part of me that has crawled under a rock and may not be out for awhile. I know I appreciate the IHD family more now than ever. Your outpourings of love and graciousness towards Susie and Sam and the IHD team have been heart warming to say the least.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

I agree with every word that Petey and the others have said.  Whatever Sulfa says, without him and the rest of the admin team this site would not be what it is. Equally without the caring, sharing people who open up their hearts and post on here - well it would just be another forum with no heart.  It's 4 years today since my hisband Barry died (aged 52) - it's also Susie's funeral, so a doubly sad day - but although I miss Barry dreadfully I always take comfort in the fact that I did everything I could when he was here and he knew I loved him more than anyone in the world.  I make sure that I TELL those that matter that I love them, life is too short to have regrets.  Losing hurts, but only because we loved them, never having known love must be worse. Sorry if I'm waffling, sometimes it's good to just let it out.

I love all of you on here and thanks for letting me be a part of it all. :grouphug;

Rose xxx
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:48 PM »

For Sulfa read SLUFF  damn spell check  :rofl;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »

Even in my "weepy" moments, this place can make me laugh...

Rose, I think Sluff has a new name!!   SULFA  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:50 AM »

Thank you petey. I feel like I have come to know my family better. I have received so much support and compasion from everyone here and look forward to coming here everyday to read the good and the bad and maybe help someone with a question or 2 and lift someones spirits if their down. That's what family's do. Sluff, thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you do, Rossman too. Kitkatz, thanks for being you. Okarol, your wealth of knowledge and wisdom I admire so much. bajanne2000, thank you for all your encouraging words. paris, you are just a real sweatheart. I just had to put my  :twocents; in. All our members are special people or we wouldn't be here.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 04:58:01 AM »

Even in my "weepy" moments, this place can make me laugh...

Rose, I think Sluff has a new name!!   SULFA  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

He'll kill me!!  Or at least throw me off here  :rofl; :rofl;
Sluff I am SO SORRY  :oops;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 06:19:25 AM »

It is okay. Sluff has several different names.
Victor called him Fluff or Fluffy one night.
You called him Sulfa.
Susie's mom called him Sludge.

Poor guy. Just can't spell that name correctly.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I'm not laughing AT you, Sluff (aka Fluffy or Sludge) -- I'm laughing WITH you!  Let me hear you chuckle!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »

You called him Sulfa.

Call the poor guy anything but late for dinner  :rofl;  J/K of course  >:D

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:27 AM »

You called him Sulfa.

Call the poor guy anything but late for dinner :rofl; J/K of course >:D

JP has it right... :)

PERMA BAN.... >:D......Rose1999... :rofl; Now when you find out what Sluff really stands for you'd never forget.  :rofl;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »

Oh, tell, tell!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »

Oh, tell, tell!

I will in the premium member section  >:D ;)
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »

If you won't tell us we'll have to make up our own suggestions  >:D

What do you think fellow IHD members?

Strong
Loving, but
Underneath
Faintly
Fluffy

any other ideas???? Come on you can all do better than that  :2thumbsup;

Edited: Fixed bold tag - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:22:58 PM by okarol » Logged
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »

Sluff, you are the rock here as mentioned.  I always look forwrd to reading your posts.  Paris, your caring and love for others really shines through and is inspirational to me.  Karol, you are always brilliant with wisdom and research.  I do appreciate all that post here and even if not mentioned, I want you to know you have brought peace and knowledge to me and I know countless others.  Being able to come here and say whatever is very healing in itself.  We can feel so isolated with esrd, even those closest don't understand everything we go through.  But I always know I can hop on here and someone will respond.  Thank you.   :grouphug;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »