I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Genetic screening
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genetic screening  (Read 3169 times)
Robert

« on: June 21, 2006, 09:53:26 AM »

Recently in the news in the UK is the subject of genetic screening, Doctors are able to screen for increasing numbers of defects.

A recent newstory centred on a doctor who had aborted a baby late in a pregnancy because it had a cleft palette, a woman took out a private prosecution against the doctor because as she said, even severe cleft palettes can be repaired early on, she her self had been born with a cleft palette and gone on to live a normal healthy life, hardly a severe disability is it.

My concern is that if screening for kidney failure was available and my mother had taken to the option to abort, I would have missed out on what I consider a happy life despite what is in store for me later on.

Serious disabilities are one thing, but doesn't it leave the way open for abuse, I can see babies being aborted for all sorts of trivial reasons.

What do you think?
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »

Serious disabilities are one thing, but doesn't it leave the way open for abuse, I can see babies being aborted for all sorts of trivial reasons.

My little brother was born with spina bifida which is pretty major.  My parents were told he wouldn't even be able to crawl.  He proved them wrong and can crawl around, but even with several major operations he can't even walk using crutches.  He has had a rough life, but I couldn't even begin to imagine he would trade his hard life for no life at all.  I know and understand there are many reasons for aborting a baby, but doing so just because that child is imperfect or because you don't want to deal with the hardship of raising a disabled child is wrong.

It's not easy being green.
Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:09:49 PM »

I realise difficulties in bringing up a disabled child, we have a friend who has a child with severe downs syndrome and her second child was born with severe autism.

I see how hard it is for her, but I also see the love she has for her children and the love they give back in their own way.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:41:42 PM »

I'll preface this by saying I am pro-life.

I think it's disgusting the casual attitude people have about their children's lives.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »

I'm pro-life all the way.  But, I also believe in birth control prior to conception. 

Everyone has problems.  The most perfect looking people still have their issues.  That is what life is about.  Learning to love each other for who they are.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »