I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Parathyroidectomy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parathyroidectomy  (Read 30055 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2006, 07:49:43 AM »

Okay folks I have my blood work back- 1st one after surgery.  Hot damn looks pretty good! 

Albumin 4.5
Calcium 9.2
Phosphorous 3.8
Parathyroid hormone 24.6
Potassium 4.4
Hemoglobin 11.7
Iron saturation 23
KT/V 1.73

Look at the phosphorous!  It has never been that low! Over the last two years it has been between 6 and 7 regularly!
I eat pretty much what I want to eat and watch the high potassium and phosphorous things.

Very nice numbers. Your albumin number looks great.. i'm jealous.  :lol; Ever since starting dialysis in 4/2004, I have been tired/weak 24/7 and the doctor's tell me it's beause low protien levels and sometimes low iron and hemoglobin.. right now my iron and hemoglobin levsl are stable, but th whole 2 years I been doin dialysis I cannot seem to get my albumin above 3.4, thats high for me, as its usually even lower than that... >:( I eat as much protein as my little body can take in at a time, still no help. I tried boost, but annot keep it down the taste is horrible, and I tried ensure... same thing, blahhh... i'm waiting for my dietician to get bak to me about a taste-less protein powder b/c so far the protein powders I have tried have horrible taste and I puke as first sip.

Anyways, great numbers hun...  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
JerseyGirl

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »

Kitkatz, your incision looks great!  Healing quite well!  Labs are great too!  What are you taking now for calcium replacement, if any?  As far as cleaning, take the MONTH off - you did way too much already...what a woman!  Just please take it easy for awhile.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:25 AM »

Going to get this place whipped into shape before I go back to work on the 27th!   Muhuhhahahahaha! *Evil laugh, dirt is running from me!*  The wind is blowing my leaf pile back all over the yard this morning, darn it!   I am going to clean out my closet today.  It is almost the last area that has to be done in the house.  The cleaning supply cupboard needs a good toss, too.  Just going to putz around when these are done.  It is nice to relax in a clean house.  The back yard is going to get whacked when I am up to it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »

QUESTION: Please get back to me ASAP.

I am having tingling in my hands and feet.  I have called the doctor and left a message with Kaiser, but God knows when I will be called back.  Is this something I need to worry about immediately?   Is it normal?  Is my calcium low?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »

Okay folks, I IMed the boss man Epoman with my question about tingling. Here is his reply:

"Oh that is easy, your calicum is LOW! Take about 8-10 tums RIGHT NOW and you will notice it go away. I had to take Calcium pills for quite a few months after my surgery. They can prescribe calicium pills but for now to STOP the tingling eat A LOT of "Tums"."

Oka,y I have taken an extra fourTums in addtion to the two at lunch. I am now waiting for them to get to work.  Thank you Epoman.  This really had me concerned.

lifenotonthelist.com

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2006, 06:49:01 PM »

It hasn't happened recently, but, months ago I would get that tingly feeling in my feet and hands too... I never guessed to take tums or that it was from low calcium, I will remember that for the next time it happens.. my calcium is good right now this month anyways, but GREAT info.. thanks for sharing,  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2006, 07:02:54 PM »

It hasn't happened recently, but, months ago I would get that tingly feeling in my feet and hands too... I never guessed to take tums or that it was from low calcium, I will remember that for the next time it happens.. my calcium is good right now this month anyways, but GREAT info.. thanks for sharing,  :2thumbsup;
Ya I remember the feeling was like I was being electricuted. I don't get that anymore since I had them taken out!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:25 PM »

Yeap, since kat just had her parathyroids removed, that is the reason she is getting the tingling or vibrating feelings, her calcium is dropping. It took quite a while for my calcium to stabilize. At one point on 30+ calcium pills a day, and my calcium was barely hitting 7.0  :o That many calcium pills made me sick to my stomach, but I had no choice.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2006, 01:19:59 AM »

Ya they told me I had no calcium in my bones. Is that accurate?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2006, 10:38:28 AM »

Yes, it is accurate.  They call it "hungry bone syndrome".  The bones are getting back at me for having the PTH high and leaching out the calcium and phosphorous from the bones these past couple of years.  They are taking the calcium and phosphorous back into them as fast as they can. Which means I am supposed to have the TUMS four times a day.  I added extra yesterday and the tingling seemed to go away. m I am going to ask some questions at dialysis today and see what I am supposed to be doing for the tingling sensations.  Probably just what Epoman said to do, add the Tums. I will let you all know.

lifenotonthelist.com

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »

Yes, it is accurate.  They call it "hungry bone syndrome".  The bones are getting back at me for having the PTH high and leaching out the calcium and phosphorous from the bones these past couple of years.  They are taking the calcium and phosphorous back into them as fast as they can. Which means I am supposed to have the TUMS four times a day.  I added extra yesterday and the tingling seemed to go away. m I am going to ask some questions at dialysis today and see what I am supposed to be doing for the tingling sensations.  Probably just what Epoman said to do, add the Tums. I will let you all know.

Probably? HA! So little faith in me.  :'( >:D If they don't prescribe calcium pills or tell you to take extra Tums, they are idiots. Even a 1st year med student would tell you that. Bottomline is ask a tech at dialysis who most likely will say "I don't know, ask a nurse", then the nurse will say "oh you better talk to your doctor" then they will page the doctor and ask him/her and he will say "Well....have her try taking more tums she should have listened to Epoman in the first place."

>:D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2006, 10:56:38 AM »

Probably? HA! So little faith in me.  :'( >:D If they don't prescribe calcium pills or tell you to take extra Tums, they are idiots. Even a 1st year med student would tell you that. Bottomline is ask a tech at dialysis who most likely will say "I don't know, ask a nurse", then the nurse will say "oh you better talk to your doctor" then they will page the doctor and ask him/her and he will say "Well....have her try taking more tums she should have listened to Epoman in the first place."

>:D

:rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »

Ya I will back Epoman and say you MUST take some sort of Phosphate binder and Calcium Supplement of you have no kidney function and your bloodwork shows high phosphate levels and low Calcium and you feel that "tingling/electricuting-type" feeling in your extremities!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »

Oh Mighty Epoman!  You were right on.  The nurse sent me to the dietitian who told me to up my calcium intake.  Take the Tums, a lot of Tums she said. These stupid people! Noone is checking my calcium levels.  I have had one blood work test done since I left the hospital.  Should they be checking it regularly and should I call my internist and holler?

lifenotonthelist.com

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »

Oh Mighty Epoman!  You were right on.  The nurse sent me to the dietitian who told me to up my calcium intake.  Take the Tums, a lot of Tums she said. These stupid people! Noone is checking my calcium levels.  I have had one blood work test done since I left the hospital.  Should they be checking it regularly and should I call my internist and holler?

You should be having your calcium drawn weekly. You want to keep it at the very least above 8.0, your bones will be sucking up the calcium for a while. You should be taking several calcium pills or Tums daily and maybe even a Vitamin D supplement which will help in the absorption of the Calcium. If I were you I would pick up some "Extra Strength" Tums. Regular Tums has 500mg of Calcium per tab but we are concerned with the "Elemental Calcium" per pill which is only like 300mg, so I recommend getting the Tums E-X and demanding they draw your calcium weekly.

So maybe next time you won't doubt me.  ;) >:D

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2006, 01:14:55 AM »

But I did not doubt you in the least.  I went and took more Tums on your orders/advice!  I bow to your wisdom.  Why do you think I asked you first, oh All knowing Wise Man! 

I am going to hit Rite Aid for the extra strength Tums flavors I like best.  I like their brand best of fruit flavored Tums.
I want to complain about how I feel,  but, oh well...
Couldn't sleep tonight.  I think I need to go to the chiropractor and have to neck put back into whack.  May be too soon after the surgery to go to them.  May try it tomorrow morning.

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2006, 01:10:53 PM »

I went to the chiropractor twice and do not have the thumping of my heartbeat in my left ear anymore.  Funny what a neck adjustment can do.  I just wish the silly shoulder pain would go away.
Anyway back t,o the topic.  I was wondering if anyone else after parathyroid surgery, had a strange taste in their mouth.  It is very tinny tasting and comes from the back of the mouth under the tongue.  I thought maybe it was a pill reaction, but it started a few weeks ago after surgery.
I am also hungry a lot.  I mean it feels like there is a big hole and it has to be filled. My new motto is becoming " I could eat."  However I have lost almost six pounds over the last few weeks, too.  Hmmmm.  I think this is just weird!

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2006, 04:58:43 AM »

hmm.. I don't think I did. I mean .. I have in the past but didn't notice anything suddenly changed like taste in the mouth after my PT surgery.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

:bump;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »

Thanks so much, Zach!  I really needed to read through this again, now that my phosphorus/calcium/PTH levels etc. are of important interest at the moment!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »