I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:32:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  The Campers Return
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Campers Return  (Read 3341 times)
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« on: June 18, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »

Well, Heph & I survived a week of camping, and you know what, dialysing in a field ain't so difficult.  :o

:) The first day we went, we had a few ups and downs and I think Heph only did two exchanges all day, but that wasn't a problem really. As for heating the bags, it was mostly really hot, and if Heph puts a warm bag in when he's hot, he just feels sick, hot and dizzy, so cold bags were a winner.

We did however need to heat the first bag in a morning and the last one at night. We tried putting it between two hot water bottles, but found this didn't work for us. They did heat quite nicely in the sun, but, by the time he wanted one at bedtime, it had gone cold again. We found what worked best for us, was putting the sealed bag in a pot of boiling water and heating it on the stove for 10mins. It was really easy and effective, although we had to watch it closely as it could have overheated really quickly. We did this the first time and it took about 2hours to cool down.  ::) Oops!

All those boxes of dialysate to take up a lot of room though, so if we went for more than a week, we'd have to find a better solution to storing the boxes. A bigger tent maybe!  ???

Over all, I think it was pretty easy and so nice to be able to get away and feel free.  ;D

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »

Welcome Home you two!!!  Thank you for sharing your adventure with us,  now i know it is possible and i would love to plan a camping trip also.  Can you tell me, when Heph did his exchanges,  did he do them in the car?  I know they said you cant be where there is flowing air or anything like that.   sounds like you guys had a great time, hopefully your story will inspire more people to take the chance and go out and do something that they might've not thought possible.   

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:18:45 PM »

Heph just exchanged outside. We are in the UK and haven't been told not to exchange where there is flowing air, so we just sat outside at the table. You can do it in the tent too, and with the doors zipped up, there is no air flow!

He has exchanged in the car and although it is a little cramped, it works just fine. He sometimes has to put the drain bag outside though as he isn't high enough with it just on the floor of the car, it does work, but it takes ages. My mum has a 4x4 which is higher and it works really well.

I'd say go for it if you have the chance. It takes a little more organising, but hey, it's well worth it.  ;D

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »

Pics?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »

Still on camera, haven't uploaded yet. Will do it soon!  ;)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:56:23 PM by Hephs-little-lady » Logged

Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 01:12:53 PM »

Dialysis by the tent!  8)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 01:18:12 PM by Hephs-little-lady » Logged

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »

This is a lovely report.  I like to hear about people not allowing dialysis to curb their enjoyment of life.  And thanks for the pic!
Guys, we got some happy campers around here!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »

Cool, thanks for the pic! This will show others that camping is indeed possible for PD users.

Now pics of you?  ;)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »

Very cool!  Good for you guys!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 09:50:10 AM »

That is great!  I love the picture too,  I think it is a good idea to get out there and do the stuff you love to do!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »

Camping has to be one of my favorite things in the world to do.  My wife and I try to go as often as we can even if it is just for one night.  We have even taken several camping / hiking trips for our anniversary.  It's good to see the adaptation and will put forth to do something you enjoy.

It's not easy being green.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »