I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Knowing your place on the list?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knowing your place on the list?  (Read 8277 times)
karen547

« on: January 20, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »

I have noticed a few of you saying you're at a certain number on the transplant list and was wondering how you find that out? I thought it was confidential?
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:06 AM »

I was wondering about that too....

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »

My transplant coordinator told me there is no real number to the list. She said it all comes down to the best person to match the donor.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »

I don't know how anyone can know a place on the list. I don't know how you could determine that. It comes down to who matches.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »

My transplant coordinator told me there is no real number to the list. She said it all comes down to the best person to match the donor.

That was my understanding, as well. You may be #1000 on the list, but if a donor comes up who's a 6 out of 6 match for you, then you get it. My neph kept telling me to call my coordinator and bug him about where I was on the list, and three days after I called him and left a message, I got my first call. A month after that, I got a second. Maybe it's more a matter of he wanted me in the forefront of their minds? My coordinator never did return my call, though.  :lol;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »

My pre-transplant coordinator encouraged me to call once in awhile and check in. She said that was helpful to know I was still interested and let them know if any kind of medical problems had cropped up. I was only on the list 6 weeks. I should have called when I found out I had a UTI. When they called me I relayed the info to them and the surgeon decided since I had been on an antibiotic for almost a week, he wanted me to come anyway. They tested my urine and I was cleared for surgery.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »

There isn't really a way to know where you are on the list other than to interpolate the odds we are given at listing time by blood type, metropolitan area, and transplant center.   I can say that I had hunches or gut feelings at certain times during my wait with some really strong ones the week of the transplant.  Two days before the call came I had a strong feeling that the time was near and that time I was right.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »

It sounds like that list sucks!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Krisna

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

I've been on "the list" three times.  Here is the way I have understood it to work according to the way it was explained to me and my family:

I am rh A+ which according to my transplant team is the most common blood type of the transplants done in my region.

I have an extremely common perfect match making it likely I will get a 6 antigen perfect match in a short period of time.

When a kidney becomes available it is matched to the best possible recipient listed.  Where you are on the list doesn't matter much if you are the best possible match!  Some people are on the list for many years because they have an unusual match and others only have to wait for a matter of months.  I wasn't anywhere near the "top" of the list when I got any of my cadaveric transplants but I was the best match for them.  Having a 6 antigen perfect match means that not only did the blood type and antigens match but the antibodies did too!  That bumped me up higher than anyone else for those specific organs.  If I had been unable to accept any of them for some reason then they would've gone to the next best match.  The goal is to put organs in the person that they will most likely work the longest and with the least amount of trouble. 

With my second transplant I was on the list for abt 3 months.  With the third I was on the list for abt a year.  The last one I was listed abt 8 months.  I have only ever listed in my own region but I know that my second transplant was flown here from Maine and the guy was the same age as me at the time, 17.  The last two came from my state but I don't know anything more than that.

I would ask my transplant clinic or search online if I were unsure or confused abt how things on the list worked. 

I found the UNOS website too.  You can probably find answers there.

www.unos.org

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Krisna

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »

My pre-transplant coordinator encouraged me to call once in awhile and check in. She said that was helpful to know I was still interested and let them know if any kind of medical problems had cropped up. I was only on the list 6 weeks. I should have called when I found out I had a UTI. When they called me I relayed the info to them and the surgeon decided since I had been on an antibiotic for almost a week, he wanted me to come anyway. They tested my urine and I was cleared for surgery.

Yes, my transplant clinic said to call if we went out of town and wouldn't be able to get back within a few hours.  And whenever I were sick.  They flag your name so that they don't waste time calling you.  There is a time limit on organs.  When I would go out of town I would give the date and approximate time I would return and also a number I could be reached at in case it was a perfect match. 

It is important to let them know if you are going to be unreachable or if you have a medical problem, big or small. 

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 05:54:52 AM »

There isn't really a way to know where you are on the list other than to interpolate the odds we are given at listing time by blood type, metropolitan area, and transplant center.   I can say that I had hunches or gut feelings at certain times during my wait with some really strong ones the week of the transplant.  Two days before the call came I had a strong feeling that the time was near and that time I was right.

I hope that works for the rest of us. I have had a feeling this year would be my year (been waiting 2 years as of this week). I am putting all my positive energy into it and I very much want it.  I can't say i've had any real gut feelings apart from a general "I feel this is it" sort of thing. Maybe wishful thinking but I hope so.

At the start of the year there was a guy in the unit who had the call 4pm new year's day... but the kidney hadn't woken up.. he had been waiting 2 years also and was around my age.. gave me a lot of faith (he wasn't A+)

Unfortunately a week later the kidney totally failed and it was removed. I was totally heartbroken for him.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
GuyIncognito

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

I use to call my coordinator once a month to see if I had moved up, however I've stopped that as it was too frustrating... I've been number 11 on the list for over a year... I've lost faith in the list and I'm now proactively looking for a live donation.

In my opinion O type kidneys should only go to O type recipients.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:51:40 AM »

The list is based on a point system.  The more points you have, the higher on the list you are.

Points are based on wait time on the list and what PRA one is at.

More than one person can actually be at the top of the list as not everyones antigens are the same.  This is why some people just on the list can get a tx before some that have been on the list years.

From my understanding also is that if a kidney comes up it goes to whomever is higher on the least with at least 1 antigen match.  Even if the kidney matches someone lower on the list with 2 antigens the person who matches with at least one and has more points is considered the primary.

The only exception is a perfect match, in which it goes to whomever and wherever they are on the list.

According to national stats most tx's are only a 1 antigen match at 30% followed by a 2 antigen match at 25% then 0 antigen match at 14% of tx's done.
Krisna

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »

The only exception is a perfect match, in which it goes to whomever and wherever they are on the list.

This is why I still consider myself extremely lucky...even now that I'm back on the machine!  Three perfect match transplants!  Oh yeah, somebody up there likes me!   :bow; :bow; :bow;

Hickman
mariannas

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »

I use to call my coordinator once a month to see if I had moved up, however I've stopped that as it was too frustrating... I've been number 11 on the list for over a year... I've lost faith in the list and I'm now proactively looking for a live donation.

I was told that they were.  When I went through the orientation, one of the coordinators mentioned that even though Os are universal donor, they only go to other Os.  I don't know though, I could be wrong!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:42 AM »

Sorry given the nature of the list and how it's run I don't know how you can be given a quantative number like that???

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
st789

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »

Jezzzz, talk about dramas.  Three kidney transplants!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »

Since wait time is the first consideration, you can find out how many other patients have been waiting by asking your coordinator. But since tissue matching is also considered, you might have the most wait time, but the organ is going to go to the person who is a match.
This is from UNOS website:
When a deceased organ donor is identified, a transplant coordinator from an organ procurement organization accesses the UNOS computer. Each patient in the "pool" is matched by the computer against the donor characteristics. The computer then generates a ranked list of patients for each organ that is procured from that donor in ranked order according to organ allocation policies. Factors affecting ranking may include tissue match, blood type, length of time on the waiting list, immune status and the distance between the potential recipient and the donor. For heart, liver, and intestines, the potential recipient's degree of medical urgency is also considered. Therefore, the computer generates a differently ranked list of patients for each donor organ matched.

The organ is offered to the transplant team of the first person on the list. Often, the top patient will not get the organ for one of several reasons. When a patient is selected, he or she must be available, healthy enough to undergo major surgery, and willing to be transplanted immediately. Also, a laboratory test to measure compatibility between the donor and recipient may be necessary. For example, patients with high antibody levels often prove incompatible to the donor organ and cannot receive the organ because the patient's immune system would reject it.

Once a patient is selected and contacted and all testing is complete, surgery is scheduled and the transplant takes place.

You can also find more information about organ donation on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site for Organ Donation at www.organdonor.gov.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »

Here's another related thread about blood type and wait time http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1138.40

and FYI - O kidneys are given to O patients first.

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »

Are you sure? 

I was told that O's only can get from O's but that O's can give to anyone and when a kidney (type O) comes up it goes to whomever it matches regardless of blood type.  I was told the wait time for O's can be longer since other groups can match the O kidneys and kidneys of their own blood group while O's only can match against those that are O.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »

Are you sure? 

I was told that O's only can get from O's but that O's can give to anyone and when a kidney (type O) comes up it goes to whomever it matches regardless of blood type.  I was told the wait time for O's can be longer since other groups can match the O kidneys and kidneys of their own blood group while O's only can match against those that are O.

It's true that other blood types can accept O kidneys, but that's not how they are allocated.

This is the current UNOS Policy (last dated December 18, 2007) www.unos.org/PoliciesandBylaws2/policies/pdfs/policy_7.pdf

Blood type O kidneys must be transplanted only into blood type O
candidates except in the case of zero antigen mismatched candidates (as defined in Policy
3.5.3.1) who have a blood type other than O.  Additionally, blood type B kidneys must be
transplanted only into blood type B candidates except in the case of zero antigen
mismatched candidates (as defined in Policy 3.5.3.1) who have a blood type other than B. 
Therefore, kidneys from a blood type O donor are to be allocated only to blood type O
candidates and kidneys from a blood type B donor are to be allocated only to blood type
B candidates, with the exception for zero antigen mismatched candidates noted above. 

This policy, however, does not nullify the physician's responsibility to use appropriate
medical judgment in an extreme circumstance.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:28:53 PM by okarol » Logged

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »

we, too, were told that O's can go to all blood types but, of course, that O types can only receive O's.  That's how it was explained to us to answer the question of, "Why is the wait longer for an O recipient?"   Marvin's type O-positive.  We've always thought that sucked!
slk76

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »

Are you sure? 

THIS IS NO LONGER TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cedars Sinai in LA does ABO Incompatible transplants.  My friend just had one last week!  His dad was not his blood type so he had both IVIG and Plasmapheresis and then had his transplant!! He was just released from the hospital today with a creatinine of .8!!!!!!! :yahoo;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:38 AM »

Are you sure? 

THIS IS NO LONGER TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cedars Sinai in LA does ABO Incompatible transplants.  My friend just had one last week!  His dad was not his blood type so he had both IVIG and Plasmapheresis and then had his transplant!! He was just released from the hospital today with a creatinine of .8!!!!!!! :yahoo;

Yes, many centers are doing ABOIncompatible transplants with a living donor, but I think the original question is in regard to receiving a kidney from the "list".  If I get the "call", it will have to be an "O".  My surgeon did tell me last week, that with my time listed and PRA, I am sitting up high on the list, but the PRA will prevent me from actually being called.   Good news/bad news!   It is all a roll of the dice,isn't it?

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »

Pediatric patients, patients with high PRA's and living kidney donors are all given points to elevate their status on the wait list.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »