I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463350 times)
Krisna

« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »

He's a jerk AND an idiot, though.

I can relate.

Well, this is gonna be me telling on myself but...I never did the one on my license until I was in my mid 20's.  I always figured since I was ill they wouldn't be able to use anything anyway.  But then after I thought abt it for a while, I decided I was being selfish and even if they only use me for research I should sign the donor card!  But I also think my family would've signed the consent anyway! 

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Krisna

« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »

Okay this one's kinda funny because of who said it to me!

One Saturday in Spring of 1997 my hubby was working and I was babysitting my oldest niece so I went out to see my dad.  I had been on dialysis for abt a year at this point.  We decided to go for a drive up to Chinook Pass at Mt. Rainier.  As we're getting ready to go out the door my dad looks at me and asks, "Do you need to use the bathroom?"  (Now I knew he was asking me if I needed to pee.)  I looked at him and said, "That was a STUPID question!"  And he just looked at me like he was confused!  Then he realized what he had just asked and started  :rofl;!  I still give him a hard time abt that one!  lol

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #352 on: November 01, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

My father wanted me to go with him to a dinner party one of his neighbours was having.  To avoid any embarassment on my part, we asked her what food she would be serving to make sure it was suitable for me.  The neighbour was very nice about it and made something different for me - it was just some cold meat and salad as the main course was a chicken in tomato sauce which I can't have (cos of the tomatoes).  All was going well at the dinner until the host said to me she had put my food to one side.  At this point one of the guests (a middle aged busy body) said to me very aggressively "What's the matter with you, have you got a food allergy?".  The conversation in the room stopped dead as some guests knew about me and some did not.  I just said "No, I have kidney failure.".  Well, you could cut the silence in the room with a knife.

Me and my Dad got out of there pretty sharply after that.  I thought it was very rude to demand to know what is wrong with someone in that manner and it put me on the spot as well. 

SCOTLAND NO.1
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #353 on: November 01, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »

I was at the hospital today having an abdominal CT scan for some unusual pain that I'm having. The tech asked me if I've had any blood in my urine, and I told him that I don't really pee anymore because I have kidney failure and I'm on dialysis. He then asked me "So, is your actual kidney function OK?" I was like "uh.....no, I'm on dialysis." He seemed kind of embarrassed with himself and he was very kindly asking me things about dialysis and how my treatment is going. An ignorant question ended up turning into a pleasant conversation, and another medical professional learned a little about "our" world.

Adam   

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #354 on: November 06, 2007, 10:29:55 PM »

It really shows that the professionals have not done a good job about educating the masses.  Almost all of the other chronic diseases, people have at least some idea.  But every time the topic dialysis comes up, I have to do the Dialysis 101 crash course for people to understand.  "Ohhhhhhh, I didn't know that" is the standard response.  The other response, with unbelief "Four hours???!!!!!"  and response number three "You need to drink a lot of water.  It will flush out your kidney" (you mean it might flush me out of this life).

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »

OMG, This morning, as Sam was getting ready for work he asked me "do i have to go in today?" and i asked him "do i have to dialyze today" and he said in his sweetest and caring voice "honey, if you want to get better you do"  OMG, WTF??  I couldnt help but cry my eyes out, he didnt realize what he said wrong and i had to openly say it,  I WILL NEVER GET BETTER, BUT I WILL GET WORSE, THIS IS IT FOR ME, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE,  i know he was just trying to make me feel better and he really didnt know any different (i guess) all he could do was hug me and said, "you have me", and i have to admit, that did make me feel a little better but geeeze, did he think all this time i was actually going to get better some day, ohhhhhh what a way to start my day  :banghead;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #356 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:17 AM »

Oh, Susie, I am sorry.  My husband doesn't get it at all.  He thinks I throw up because I ate something spicy.  He thinks I can't sleep because maybe I am cold or hot.  He doesn't go to the nephs office with me.  He has gone to most transplant evaluation visits, but not all.  He drops me off for the 6 hours of iron infusions.  He just can't handle the truth.  He is a good guy and we have spent our lives together.  Sometimes he says the dumbest things---like Sam did----and I just want to SCREAM!!!!  He says all the time  "wish I didn't have to go to work" and I want to say "oh my God, I wish I could!"   That is why Vegas was incredible-----nothing had to be explained.  Everyone understood!

So go ahead and cry.   Then hug Sam when he gets home. He is there and isn't going anywhere.  Even those who love us will  never really fully understand and probably because they love us, they just want us to be well.   Wish we could go get lunch together and just hang out today!   Love ya!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2007, 11:37:31 AM »

Thank you so much Paris, i love you  :cuddle;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »

Our spouses mean well, don't they. They are our closest allies and yet, even they don't completely understand what it is to have kidney disease. I often need to remind my husband I would much rather be able to go to work than be on disability. If only I could have my old life back. If only...

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #359 on: November 18, 2007, 01:37:02 PM »

Well said Sunny ........  If only....

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
SheilaW

« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »

When people learn that I don't make  urine, they (sometimes) say something along the lines of: "Wow!  I'm jealous!  It must be nice to not have to take time out of your day every couple of hours to pee!"  Um...yeah....it's absolutely wonderful getting stuck in the arm 3x/week as a trade off.   :sarcasm;

My mom said, as I was drinking from my 1 liter bottle: "I can't believe you drink so much and don't pee.  It's amazing!"  Yeah, it's just amazing to collect the fluids in organs and tissue and blood as opposed to my bladder where I can expel it easily.

Another: "How long will you be on dialysis?"  "Until I get a transplant."  "How long will that take?"  "Well it can be almost any time or never."  "How do you live with not knowing?!"  Um....pretty much the same way you live with not knowing when your time is up, dummy!"

And my favorite, once again from my mom.  (First a bit of history...she's been a drug user, alcoholic, smoker, has had kidney stones a lot, and has had Hepatitis B, among other health and psychological issues): "Well if I can't donate to you when the time comes, I still want to do a donation.  I want to donate my kidney to someone!"  I know her intentions are good, but I've tried telling her repeatedly that with her issues, she won't be a suitable donor and they won't take it.  She doesn't believe me and tells me at least once a week that she wants to donate. 
SheilaW

« Reply #361 on: November 18, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »

One more I forgot.

I went to the doctor about a month ago because I had bronchitis.  While I was there the nurse came over and started cuffing up my left arm for BP.  I told her to stop, that she couldn't use it because I have a fistula.  She looked at me dumbly, as she continued to strap my arm and asked "What's a fistula?"   :urcrazy;

I got her to stop before she started applying pressure, but damn! 
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #362 on: November 18, 2007, 08:27:37 PM »

One more I forgot.

I went to the doctor about a month ago because I had bronchitis.  While I was there the nurse came over and started cuffing up my left arm for BP.  I told her to stop, that she couldn't use it because I have a fistula.  She looked at me dumbly, as she continued to strap my arm and asked "What's a fistula?"   :urcrazy;

I got her to stop before she started applying pressure, but damn! 
Now, Sheila, you must be kidding.  Is that nurse for real?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
SheilaW

« Reply #363 on: November 19, 2007, 06:31:06 AM »

I wish I could say I was kidding.  The only (and not very good) defense I can come up with on that one is that she works for a doctor's office with just family practitioners.  But even then she should have known what a fistula was....
BigSteve

« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »

Are you sure she was a nurse? I encounter many people in doctors'
office doing inverviews or taking my vitals who act like Bryman School
rejects.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »

Here is a good one!!

The neph who goes to my husband's clinic-
(niether one of us like any of the nephs in
this group, but we are captured) was making
his rounds, went to Les's chair, How Are You??
B.S, when my hubby told him he just got done
painting our kitchen, hall and living/ding room
The Dr looked at him and said "I never heard of
a dialysis patient  being able to paint"  HEL-LOOO!!! :banghead; :banghead;
this guy is a Dr, and instead of saying that's great,
you are doing well, etc-  it is always a downer.

I don't see him, but would love to be able to tell him
about thoseof you who work out, teach, ride bikes, etc
I think he needs an awakening

Anne
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2007, 11:41:25 PM »

OMG, This morning, as Sam was getting ready for work he asked me "do i have to go in today?" and i asked him "do i have to dialyze today" and he said in his sweetest and caring voice "honey, if you want to get better you do"  OMG, WTF??  I couldnt help but cry my eyes out, he didnt realize what he said wrong and i had to openly say it,  I WILL NEVER GET BETTER, BUT I WILL GET WORSE, THIS IS IT FOR ME, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE,  i know he was just trying to make me feel better and he really didnt know any different (i guess) all he could do was hug me and said, "you have me", and i have to admit, that did make me feel a little better but geeeze, did he think all this time i was actually going to get better some day, ohhhhhh what a way to start my day  :banghead;

I got a "I hope you get well soon." today from a woman whose husband had been on PD for years before he died.  I thought about you, Nina, while I was thanking her for her very kind, totally ludicrous thought!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2007, 06:49:38 PM »

I got the "So if you get a transplant your done, right?  You're cured?"  question last week.  I wanted so badley to say "YES!!"...and mean it.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »

I got the "So if you get a transplant your done, right?  You're cured?"  question last week.  I wanted so badley to say "YES!!"...and mean it.

I get that too with having a pancreas transplant also. Cured from diabetes, yeah right!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »

That would be the perfect question to be able to say "yes" to.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jamesw

« Reply #370 on: November 23, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »

Here is the very worst I've had, and it's from another kidney patient.
"You're lucky to get kidney disease so young, you can get a transplant. They won't let me have one because I'm eighty five."
That's nice to hear from someone who's been relatively healthy their whole life. 
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #371 on: November 24, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »

Here is the very worst I've had, and it's from another kidney patient.
"You're lucky to get kidney disease so young, you can get a transplant. They won't let me have one because I'm eighty five."
That's nice to hear from someone who's been relatively healthy their whole life. 

Uggggghhhhhh! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :boxing;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #372 on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »

I get that too with having a pancreas transplant also. Cured from diabetes, yeah right!

I said sorry  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Krisna

« Reply #373 on: November 24, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »

When people learn that I don't make  urine, they (sometimes) say something along the lines of: "Wow!  I'm jealous!  It must be nice to not have to take time out of your day every couple of hours to pee!"   

I made a kinda joke with the people I'm close to abt that one by saying stuff like, "Go for me too!"  When they announce they are going to the bathroom.

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »

Okay, I am sick to death of this...

When people, (yes even extended family members who know my kidneys failed when I was 7), find out I've 4 transplant of the same organ.  The ask, "Why so many?"  And also, "What didn't they work?" 

Hickman
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »