I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463214 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2007, 01:27:36 PM »

Hate people like that.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2007, 01:28:02 PM »

I know polite society wouldn't condone this- but first I would have told him to stfu- then gf himself, then he was going to hell for being a pecker!! geeze!

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »

I've had some awful things said to me about dialysis....but the winner of them all was from a man who I met while I was visiting an old friend in a nursing home.  I had already been transplanted and had previously been in the hospital with rejection.  This man was the roommate of the friend I was visiting.  When he found out that I had received a kidney from a friend of mine, he insisted on telling me that I was bound to go straight to HELL because I had taken the soul of another person when I got her kidney.  AND THEN....he proceeded to tell me that the friend who donated would never be able to make it to Heaven because she was "no longer complete."  He said that even the process of dialyzing was a way for doctors to make more money and what I should've done was pray about it because God can fix all things!!!  I've never been so insulted in my life!!!

*Ding ding ding*  I think we've got a winner folks,  that has got to be the most IGNORANT thing anyone can ever say  >:(  I am sorry you even had to listen to this ignorant person Highlite,  geeeeze, some people  :thumbdown;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »

I know polite society wouldn't condone this- but first I would have told him to stfu- then gf himself, then he was going to hell for being a pecker!! geeze!

:bow;  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »

I've had some awful things said to me about dialysis....but the winner of them all was from a man who I met while I was visiting an old friend in a nursing home.  I had already been transplanted and had previously been in the hospital with rejection.  This man was the roommate of the friend I was visiting.  When he found out that I had received a kidney from a friend of mine, he insisted on telling me that I was bound to go straight to HELL because I had taken the soul of another person when I got her kidney.  AND THEN....he proceeded to tell me that the friend who donated would never be able to make it to Heaven because she was "no longer complete."  He said that even the process of dialyzing was a way for doctors to make more money and what I should've done was pray about it because God can fix all things!!!  I've never been so insulted in my life!!!

Ummm, if that is true to what he said, then why is here there in the care of people. He could just pray it away couldn't he? :rofl;
That sucks donkey balls that there are people like that, Idiotic moronic asswipes!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »

This week I went to my Bunko group. One of my friends mentioned she had to re-new her drivers license here in California and she told us she decided against signing a donor card because she's afraid they will "jump the gun" and take organs prematurely. She said she can't figure out why anybody would want to sign a donor card. She knows I'm on a kidney donor transplant list. I just smiled and said,"I guess some people feel that way." How do you educate someone like that?

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »

Oh geeeez..................LOLOLOL  What a Fruit Loop!!  I would have played with his head a little and told him every time he cut his toenails or cut his hair he wasn't a "complete" person and was going to hell too.  I would have told him every time he farts that's his eternal soul leaving him or something just as stupid.

Donna :bandance;

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
LightLizard

« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »

you have to wonder where some people get their ideas from, sometimes.
other times, all you can do is shake your head and walk away.
the problem is that 'healthy' people don't give much thought to illness and they don't even want to hear about it, most of the time. some will even react violently, if you mention your condition, and try to make themselves feel better by implying that sick people are being punished for some transgressions or 'sins.' that kind of stipidity doesn't seem too healthy, to me, at least, mentally healthy.
people are pretty darn weird.

love

~LL~
highlite36

« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:43 PM »

Oh geeeez..................LOLOLOL  What a Fruit Loop!!  I would have played with his head a little and told him every time he cut his toenails or cut his hair he wasn't a "complete" person and was going to hell too.  I would have told him every time he farts that's his eternal soul leaving him or something just as stupid.

Donna :bandance;

I found out from this guy's exwife (who visited him quite often at the nursing home ) that this guy was so nutty that even the CHURCH he went to and was part of chose to "disown" him and kick his lousy ass out of the congregation.  I really couldn't stop laughing when I heard that piece of news.....  I don't think that'll get him any closer to Heaven.....   :P  Oh wait...that's right....God loves him.....Maybe he'll just pray his ungrateful ass there......  :P

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »

South Park movies comes to mind when you said that. Depends if your familiar with South Park though where Kenny is on his way to Heaven and near the top is a button to push for accessto Heaven. He pushes it and get's ACCESS DENIED! and is taken to Hell.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Patton

Two Great People

« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »

Wow...thats just total idiocy. That guy must not realize the concept of being buried or cremated, and the fact that you can't take anything with you.  :banghead; :urcrazy;
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »

Wow...thats just total idiocy. That guy must not realize the concept of being buried or cremated, and the fact that you can't take anything with you.   :banghead; :urcrazy;

Excellent point Josh *ahem*  Patton ;)  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Patton

Two Great People

« Reply #337 on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »

People just need to be a little more sensitive. Not everyone has the same views.  :rant; I could spend all day ranting about people.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »

Well, I just got back from the eye doctor's and I've got 2 of 'em for ya! Please excuse any typos as my eyes are VERY dilated! I had an assistant tell me about an herbal drink that stops kidney failuer!! Puh-leez! This was my first time to see this doctor and when he first walked in and read my chart, he said "but you're way too young to be diabetic and too young to be in kidney failure." Lord, what a visit!   :o

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

:rofl;  I love that "your way too young..." I like to say stick it up you *&^!!! If i'm too young, take it back away from me, dipshyt. :)

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2007, 03:30:45 PM »

Oh geeeze, how sad is that, for a doctor to tell you something so stupid, what a moron  :thumbdown;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2007, 03:43:57 PM »

I was at my nieces Baptism last weekend and sitting talking to some friends of my sister-in-laws. One of her friends husband decided to come and quiz me on my health. This man would be in his 50's and until this time I thought him to be intelligent. He has known from the start that I was on dialysis but had no clue about PD, so I tried to educate him. Hard task, some people have no clue about medical procedures.

He went on with his verbal diarrhea about how I am too young for all this..... then he asked me if I never get offered a kidney how long was I expected to live? He assumed I was given a time frame of dying. What the?  I said I had no plans to leaving the planet just yet. MORON   :boxing;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

Isnt it sad (yet funny) that someone who thinks they know it all really doesnt know Jack Schitt?  Hey, thanks to Chris, i now know i know Jack Schitt, lol,  :2thumbsup;   

www.kidneyoogle.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »

I was at my nieces Baptism last weekend and sitting talking to some friends of my sister-in-laws. One of her friends husband decided to come and quiz me on my health. This man would be in his 50's and until this time I thought him to be intelligent. He has known from the start that I was on dialysis but had no clue about PD, so I tried to educate him. Hard task, some people have no clue about medical procedures.

He went on with his verbal diarrhea about how I am too young for all this..... then he asked me if I never get offered a kidney how long was I expected to live? He assumed I was given a time frame of dying. What the?  I said I had no plans to leaving the planet just yet. MORON   :boxing;

To quote Mark Twain..... (with a small change)

"Rumors of my (imminent) demise have been greatly exaggerated."

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Krisna

« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »

Okay, I got a couple of good ones.

After parking in the disabled spot and putting my sign up, some woman had the gull to say to me with a look of disdain, "You don't look handicapped!"  As if you can tell by looking!

Another patient thought you could lose body weight through dialysis.

A complete stranger looked at my fistula scars and made a comment in a hushed tone to the person they were with abt thinking I was an IV drug user.

After my last transplant somebody said, "I'm so glad you're cured." 

"Here's your sign!"  People can be sooooo stupid!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »

I was telling Jenna about this thread at dinner and she said people always surprised her about how little they knew about kidney failure. When she was a senior in high school a guy who was visiting from another school saw her fistula on her upper arm and said "Whoaa, what have you been doing to yourself??" She said "Uh, nothing. I am on dialysis," but he had no idea what that was. She attempted to explain it, but it was a pretty awkward moment.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #346 on: October 26, 2007, 06:42:27 AM »

After parking in the disabled spot and putting my sign up, some woman had the gull to say to me with a look of disdain, "You don't look handicapped!"  As if you can tell by looking!

:lol;  I have had a handicap sign since I was 15/16, and I have mine for life... so I get looks ALL the time.. old people, staring, making comments... I simply respond "You know, not just old people are handicap." They look at me again, "I don't see one thing wrong with you..", I say "Please, live with my body just 1 day, c'mon.. I bet you will be singing a different tune!!"

::)

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #347 on: October 26, 2007, 10:10:11 AM »

This week I went to my Bunko group. One of my friends mentioned she had to re-new her drivers license here in California and she told us she decided against signing a donor card because she's afraid they will "jump the gun" and take organs prematurely. She said she can't figure out why anybody would want to sign a donor card. She knows I'm on a kidney donor transplant list. I just smiled and said,"I guess some people feel that way." How do you educate someone like that?

My EX husband voiced this belief to me several times in the course of our marriage. I guess since I had only ever had living donor transplants he figured it just didn't matter. He's a jerk AND an idiot, though.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #348 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »

I get asked alllllll the time how long I have to get a transplant.  I tell them 2 to 3 months LOL.  They never know I am being a smart a**.  Ask a stupid question... get a stupid answer!

The teacher I work with was talking to another coworker of ours.  The coworker said she could not believe I was working.  The teacher said... oh, she is on dialysis now.... she is all better.  WTF???  What a genius!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #349 on: October 26, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »

He's a jerk AND an idiot, though.

I can relate.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71 Go Up Print