I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 451692 times)
lainiepop

« Reply #1650 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:14 AM »

lol PrimertImer! How long have u been married? We'll be 9 yrs in a couple weeks, yet in all that time mil never called our home phone (prob scared i'll answer!) They forgot my 30th birthday i didnt get a card (didnt get one after the tx either) and then she made a comment that her mothers day card arrived late!!
She has 4 kids with the idea that she has lots of kids so is a close family, but one lives in australia, hubby doesnt see or talk to them much, the youngest brother is in contact even less, only the sister lives nearby but she is mad busy at work, and they dont have the mother daughter relationship me and mum do. But then im the only one and so very close to my parents, as ive had so much time with them both, mum is my best friend (and i love how my lil girl already says mummy my best friend!) and dad donated the kidney, cant get closer than that (not too sure she was happy bout that, but then better than her son dong it!!!)

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1651 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »

lainiepop; We've been married for 7 years. We married late in life, no kids. Before we married I had the uh, pleasure of speaking with my future MIL on the phone. Her birthday was coming up and she wanted to tell me to make sure that her son got her the right gift -an expensive bottle of perfume! I just about fell out of my chair! Bad enough when someone tells you to get them a gift, it's even worse tho when that gift is an expensive one. At that point, it's no longer a "gift".

When I was a kid, my Mother always had a flower garden. A friend of the family who lived down the street also had a garden and she would bring my Mother fresh-cut flowers, telling us that your garden won't grow unless you share your flowers. Something tells me she wasn't just talking about flowers.
Anyways, you sound like a wonderful mother, daughter and wife....and with what you've shared with them most certainly is growing a lot of love! Beautiful blooming love!  :flower;
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:36:36 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
DeadAlive

« Reply #1652 on: June 23, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »

I told a close friend about my fistula, what it is for and how it was done. I tried my best to make him understand what it was, i even made him put his hand on it to feel the blood rushing through.

1 day many weeks later he grabbed my arm forgetting about my fistula .... i reacted and told him to be carefull with that arm ......

"Oh yes you have that spinning thing in your arm, i forgot". 

Spinning thing???? ..... I never even responded. He converted all that information i told him ... into "spinning thing".

If it wasn't for kidney failure i'd be whupping Lewis Hamilton in F1, Be in business with Richard Branson, Be married to Beyonce and have children!
lainiepop

« Reply #1653 on: June 23, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »

Aww Primetimer i dont always feel like a very good mum! I try my best but have bad days (like all mums, and i have more excuse than most!) I am v fortunate i am able to stay at home and not work as hubby supports us, as i love staying home with the kids and honestly dont think id cope with work as well! Dont know how others do it!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1654 on: June 23, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »

I told a close friend about my fistula, what it is for and how it was done. I tried my best to make him understand what it was, i even made him put his hand on it to feel the blood rushing through.

1 day many weeks later he grabbed my arm forgetting about my fistula .... i reacted and told him to be carefull with that arm ......

Spinning thing???? ..... I never even responded. He converted all that information i told him ... into "spinning thing".

I'd give your pal a break on this one. Being a motorcycle racer, no doubt the words "wheels, spin and spinning" are part of your vocabulary on a regular basis. In fact, I think that's what I'm going to start saying to my husband when I check his fistula every day; "oh honey, I can feel that spinning thing!" I kind of like that better than saying I feel the "thrill" because I don't. I mean, I do but I don't. Well, you know what I mean.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1655 on: June 23, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »

Aww Primetimer i dont always feel like a very good mum! I try my best but have bad days (like all mums, and i have more excuse than most!) I am v fortunate i am able to stay at home and not work as hubby supports us, as i love staying home with the kids and honestly dont think id cope with work as well! Dont know how others do it!

Don't be so sure that others cope so well. You are doing waay more than the average mom does. Think about that. Now of course, some will say how do I know that since I've never had kids. Well, I may have never had kids but I did have a mother and that's how I know!

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1656 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »

Oh, yeah, there is a lot of that.  People just don't realize.    :banghead;

Ninanna

« Reply #1657 on: June 24, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »

Last year I went to the ER because I had the flew and I felt so aweful I thought it was going to push me over into emergency dialysis. I was terrified out of my mind and crying when the ER doc said, "I don't know what you are so upset about. You'll just get a transplant and then everything will be fine."

As if kidneys magically fall out of the sky to be transplanted and then last forever and everything is a piece of cake.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1658 on: June 25, 2014, 07:57:42 AM »

Last year I went to the ER because I had the flew and I felt so aweful I thought it was going to push me over into emergency dialysis. I was terrified out of my mind and crying when the ER doc said, "I don't know what you are so upset about. You'll just get a transplant and then everything will be fine."

As if kidneys magically fall out of the sky to be transplanted and then last forever and everything is a piece of cake.

I must come and live near you so I can catch the odd kidney or two!!!!
And that from a Doctor!!! (what the hell do they teach em in medical school???)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
lainiepop

« Reply #1659 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »

Ninanna my renal doc said something similar when my GFR hit 10. He told me you will have a live donor TX and it will be pre emptive! Um ok then! I should have asked him if he was gonna get tested to donate ;)

1984 - urostomy op
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #1660 on: August 30, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »

O FFSake!

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Serene1

« Reply #1661 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »

LMAO yes I have experienced all that has been said here and know I just accept people's stupidity as a sixth sense even the nurses I have to deal with are so ignorant n have no sense of humour, as I was in hospital having bloods taken from my fistula and jokingly said oh I should take up heroin my kidneys are dead and have a giant vein anyway n the nurse said "oh you don't want to take heroin" in a serious tone. It was obviously a joke and I laughed even though she looked at me like I'm going to become a junkie in the next five minutes n I felt like saying to her u should take heroin to be less of an uptight judgmental bitch with no sense of humour lol.
Punkybruister84

« Reply #1662 on: September 19, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »

I was admitted to the hospital 2 weeks ago for low calcium issues. I had a  new dr come examine me ( he looked older. But he must've just graduated med school. He does his pointless exam ( which included me following the movement  of his finger) and asks me " what's going on with your right eye"? I have been blind in my right eye since birth the retina is destroyed and there is scarring on the eye itself that is a very pale blue.

I tell him. I am blind in that eye. I can't see out of it.
He says. Oh. So it's a prostetic. I said no its not. I just don't see out of it. He said oh. So both eyes.. I looked at him like he was retarded. I felt like saying umm no special ed and "blindly" touching his face with my hands like Helen keller

But I didn't.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1663 on: September 20, 2014, 04:18:19 AM »

Poor Punkybruister...
...I admire your patience...
... this doctor must have "just come out of the egg" so to speak...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Punkybruister84

« Reply #1664 on: September 20, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »

I think that they should only allow resident drs see a patient  with the accompaniment of an actual seasoned dr. Lol someone who knows how to listen to words. And understand when spoken to.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1665 on: October 10, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »

I think my local ER is getting used to seeing me this year, I don't get as many idiotic statements as I used to!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1666 on: October 11, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »

I think that they should only allow resident drs see a patient  with the accompaniment of an actual seasoned dr. Lol someone who knows how to listen to words. And understand when spoken to.

i think doctors should be taught communication skills and bedside manner as part of their training and have to pass an exam in it!!!!

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
LisaBart

« Reply #1667 on: October 11, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »

I made an appointment for partner to see GP as I thought his BP meds needed adjusting now he has been on dialysis 8 weeks, he'd been feeling a bit off after dialysis.
As they squeezed him in a 4th year student took him in before his GP..... as if we needed to go right through his past 10 years medical history...very frustrating and partner
gets a little short with medical staff.  I actually said to her and who makes the final decision on his meds...the doctor does....then why waste our time....the doctor decreased exactly what I had
said should be decreased.  It's like we have all the time in the world to sit around a medical centre.

Oh and med student said are you going to have a transplant?????? We are only 8 weeks on dialysis......and already over people asking this so I think we will just say no!!!
I can appreciate the frustrations you have all put up with !!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1668 on: October 12, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »

I'm sorry you, and your hubby had to go through that, and yeah, that's how you'll get treated a lot. However, after a few years I could just ring the GP, and ask for prescriptions,or referrals. I hope you don't have to go there anytime soon

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1669 on: October 12, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »

It was after a round of dialysis, I am telling family I am tired and cranky and just trying to hold it together until dinner, my Mom says she knows how I feel.  I snap: "No you do not!"
How in the world does she understand how I feel?  There are no words to describe the after feeling of dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1670 on: October 14, 2014, 01:10:10 AM »

No there aren't, even close friends don't understand why I don't want to drop in for coffee on way home from dialysis.
I am shattered. I doze in the car on the way home. Then I want a quick sandwich and a cup of tea and a snooze. I often go to bed for an hour and just zonk right out.
My body needs to recharge and replenish. My brain switches off. I am cranky for awhile. And I need carbohydrates...
"Post dialysis haze*....  ::)

10 years of half a life
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1671 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »

The strange thing is how bonded I feel with the people I know at dialysis, I show up a little early and sit and talk with them about life sports and other topics but the most important feeling is that these people understand the dual nature of our shared experience. Glad for the treatment and at the same time dreading it.  I don't think anyone who has not sat in the chair for a full session can really understand the experience.  Even my wife only thinks its a minor change in our life, not the dragon I have to go and slay three times a week.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1672 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:35 AM »

No there aren't, even close friends don't understand why I don't want to drop in for coffee on way home from dialysis.
I am shattered. I doze in the car on the way home. Then I want a quick sandwich and a cup of tea and a snooze. I often go to bed for an hour and just zonk right out.
My body needs to recharge and replenish. My brain switches off. I am cranky for awhile. And I need carbohydrates...
"Post dialysis haze*....  ::)

I was once lying in the next bed to another lady in hospital
and she was sent to another department within the hospital
for dialysis three times during the week.
I remember that she was not communicating or able to answer any questions
to anyone after returning from a dialysis-session,
because she was much too exhausted and in urgent need of a rest...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
malibu1

« Reply #1673 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »

With tears in her eyes the lady who cleans our house begged and pleaded with me that if only I would pray Mr Malibu's kidneys would heal.   :Kit n Stik;  Seriously...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1674 on: October 18, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

My father in law says he feels poorly all the time and not getting any better and that doctors told him his heart is old. He complains that he's tired and having to rely more and more on his wife. Says getting old is no fun. My father in law is...87 years old, golfs, travels, still drives, gardens, goes to the gym and cooks for 10-15 people every Sunday. And has never had the experience of...dialysis. Hate to say this but sometimes when he complains about his life, I feel like telling him to "put a sock in it!" 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:52:53 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »