I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464372 times)
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1400 on: August 26, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »

I've been lucky enough to have the same fistula for almost 12 years now.  Unfortunately, though, I have basically a track mark that runs from about 2 inches above the rest (a little after where the fistula surgery scar ends) up to about an inch and a half shy of the end of my forearm.  I also am one of those who only wears short sleeves (even in winter), wear my hair long, and tend to have a stubble.

For the most part, the general populace asking me what happened to my arm doesn't bother me.  It gives me a chance to enlighten them a bit.  What does bother me a bit is two things...both usually at the grocery store:

1)  I can hear people whispering behind me in line, "Look at that guys arm," or "That guy must shoot up" or similar things like that.

2)  The cashier will be all friendly to me until he/she sees my arm (like if I hand them some money) and you can see their eyes quickly glance at my arm, then they get that nervous smile/attitude where they are trying to act like they didn't see anything but you know they did.  If I'm feeling particularly ornery when these happen, I'll sometime pretend to act all twitchy and meth-y.

I've always wanted to have two t-shirts made.  The first would read on the front (in big letters) "I AM NOT AN IV DRUG USER" and the back would read "I am a dialysis patient".  The second would read "Curious about the arm?" on the front and the back would read "It's okay to ask."

:rofl;  That reminds me of when I first moved here. (I did not have ESRD at the time) I had very long hair that I had braided in tiny snake braids. The first Christmas eve, I had gone into town because my husband had asked me to get him a Reese's candy bar. Knowing my husband, I picked up a "six-pack" of Reese's. As I was standing in line at the checkout, an old man in front of me turned around and said "Druggie". I looked at him and said, "Excuse me?" He answered, " I know how you drug addicts are needing your candy." The only thing I could think of saying was, "Yeah, that's it. I'm also wearing long sleeves NOT because it is -20* but to hide the track marks!" He just kind of huffed and walked off. I wonder what he would have thought if he could see me fistula!   :rofl;
BTW - I LOVE the t-shirt ideas! Might have to steal them!   :clap;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Leanne

« Reply #1401 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »

I hate when this girl I know sees me out.  She always compliments me on my weight loss and how it must be nice.  She is very heavy so I guess me losing does look good to her.  But it makes me mad because I would trade with her any day.  Her weight can be fixed but I can' t be fixed. 

Or when I am in a store and people stare at my arm. Usually I have lots of bruising and I have even heard people whisper that Marc must beat on me.  Or people think you shoot up cause of the needle marks.

Also hate it when people think I have been a drug user cause they think thats the only reason a younger person would need dialysis....

Leanne

I am more than a patient.  I am a mama, friend, wife, sister, and most of all a person.

41 years old, hemo since November 2011, trained for PD and tried numerous times.  PD did not work for me , it was a nightmare :(
Rain

« Reply #1402 on: August 30, 2012, 05:05:01 AM »

A worker saw my arm.  My fistula is on my upper arm and i usually cover it with a cardigan at work cause I deal with lots of people.  He saw my arm cause I only had a 3/4 length sleeve cardigan that was rolling up so he saw my first bump.  and said oh my god will that every go away, your such a mess.  Your will messed up health wise I'm lucky I am not you.

All i kept thinking was geez thanks.  It put me in a depressed mood all day.  How do you all deal with idiots like that?  Besides my kidney problems I am in great health, I exercise etc.. And if I didn't tell people i am on dialysis they wouldn't know. 

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1403 on: August 30, 2012, 05:57:56 AM »

you know, i think that sometimes people mean well but they aren't socially capable of expressing their concern or whatnot... its not like its taught in school. it should be. etiquit classes or something.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1404 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

I'm lucky I am not you.

How do you all deal with idiots like that?   

Point to some flaw of theirs (bald head or pot belly, perhaps?) and sweetly say, "Golly, I'd hate to have to be you, too."   >:D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

AnnieB

« Reply #1405 on: August 30, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »

What a  :sir ken; None of his business, you don't need to explain anything to rude people. He was obviously never taught manners by his momma.  You could always just smile sweetly in response and say nothing, mentally visualizing him getting hit by a bus; he'll never know.

My  :twocents;
Rain

« Reply #1406 on: August 31, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »

Thanks everyone.   He has been saying stuff like this on and off for years to me.   I just have to work with him for a month before I change jobs.  But if he says anything at all like that again I am going to file a harassment complaint against him.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
JasonEb

« Reply #1407 on: August 31, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »

Here's one that happens quite a bit and always makes me laugh...

I'm somewhere like a checkout line or at a fast food place and the cashier will ask (just being friendly), "How are you doing today"?  I'll respond with "Okay, I'm on my way/just came from dialysis." to which they'll then ask, "Oh?  Why do/What did you have to go to Dallas for?"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1408 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »

I'm somewhere like a checkout line or at a fast food place and the cashier will ask (just being friendly), "How are you doing today"?  I'll respond with "Okay, I'm on my way/just came from dialysis." to which they'll then ask, "Oh?  Why do/What did you have to go to Dallas for?"

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1409 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »

OMG! That is too funny!   :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1410 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »

"When are you going to get over all of this?"

bleija

« Reply #1411 on: September 16, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »

i love my boss to death and it was os funny when she asked my ths...
she cmoes up- to me and says i dnt know how to ask this w/o it sounding in appropriate... im like ok... so with the dialysis and all, u wont die on me... like in the immediate future w/o a new kidney..
i first laughed,m bc i just thought it was funny and then answered
my boss is a get strait to the point kinda woman, and to see her skip around the p[oint was just funny... and the question too. she is not afraid to ask questions, and she will bend over backwards for me with my health and stuff.
right now 2 months post transplant she yell at me for what she beleives is too much lifting for me...i came back to work 1 month exactly.. and until the doc puts it in writing shes not letting me do much.... and one of the other managers just laughs and says im the only one that gets yelled at for working in this place...
AnnieB

« Reply #1412 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :clap; :rofl;
mamagemini

It's all me.

« Reply #1413 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »

This was not said to me but on my FB news feed:

"Oh horrible day! They had to take blood from me, it hurt so bad! I just hate those needles! Why oh why do we have to do this once a year?"

I read this after my Friday dialysis....ya. I was a bit** and posted back: "Well how about every month, then M-W-F and two 16 gauge needles in you arm 3 times a week and then you cannot move for 3.5 hours?"

I know I should of been nice and ignored it but it was just a looooooooooooooong first week on dialysis.

FSGS/Nephrotic syndrome 2005
AV Fistula placed right arm inside elbow 4/2012
Started HD 9/7/2012
Started PD Oct 2015
Parathyroid removed 6/2019
Cellulitis in Fistula 8/2019
RT arm Fistula removed 9/2019
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1414 on: September 16, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

"Oh horrible day! They had to take blood from me, it hurt so bad! I just hate those needles! Why oh why do we have to do this once a year?"

I read this after my Friday dialysis....ya. I was a bit** and posted back: "Well how about every month, then M-W-F and two 16 gauge needles in you arm 3 times a week and then you cannot move for 3.5 hours?"

I know I should of been nice and ignored it but it was just a looooooooooooooong first week on dialysis.

Not to mention if/when you're post-tx and having issues. Then they'll take blood from you every day/week/twice a month depending on the transplant center and how long it's been since your tranplant, and if you're having issues or not! I'm lucky, I'm an easy stick and needles don't bother me. For those who whine about once a year, all I can say is - WIMPS!!!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
JasonEb

« Reply #1415 on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »

You only use 16-guage needles?!

Psshht...you've got it easy.

;)
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #1416 on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »

My new fistula works, but I hate needles.  I plan to go CAPD soon.
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1417 on: September 22, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »

You only use 16-guage needles?!

Psshht...you've got it easy.

;)

I hate when people complain about that, they wouldn't last a day in our shoes !!!  :boxing;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Sydnee

« Reply #1418 on: September 30, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »

Ed and I have had other dialysis patients at his center and several nurses.
"your are so lucky, he knows what you are going through" or "that's great you are both having kidney failure, because you know what the other is feeling"

I still don't know how anybody could think it was a good thing. If their loved one was ESRD they would not think it was a good thing!

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1419 on: September 30, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »

"your are so lucky, he knows what you are going through" or "that's great you are both having kidney failure, because you know what the other is feeling"

:banghead;  :Kit n Stik;  :puke;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

AnnieB

« Reply #1420 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

I LOVE your reaction to this jbeany... but somewhat understated, don't you think  :shy;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1421 on: October 04, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

I LOVE your reaction to this jbeany... but somewhat understated, don't you think  :shy;

Seriously, they might as well say, "It's so convenient that you both have a terminal illness at the same time!  Whoever dies last won't be alone long that way." 

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1422 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »

"When are you going to get over all of this?"

I'd answer  that with, "when you bend over and kiss my a@@"

I had a dream while in dialysis once, that my best friend was there as well.  I watched her getting out of her chair, and saw the big, white bandaids on her arm, and watched her go to the scale.  Then she came and sat next to me, waiting for me to be finished.  When I woke up, I looked around, and almost asked one of the nurses where she went.  Then it clicked in that she wasn't there, and I don't think I was ever so happy, because she's not on dialysis.  It's not something I would wish on anyone, especially not someone that I love

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Ricksters

« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »

The stupidest thing was when someone asked if I was contagious and if it was legal for me to be cooking, and serving food!  I would have asked if stupidity was contagous, but decided I wanted to keep my job.

Smiles,

Ricki
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1424 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »

I've been volunteering recently and had an older gentleman (early 80s) come into the office. He pulled up a chair and wanted to talk and eventually noticed my fistula/buttonholes. Naturally he asked about it and I explained; I had my dialysis photo album in my laptop bag and showed him a few pictures of my set up. One of the pictures is me flashing a big grin at Andy after I was up and running.

He pointed at that picture and said, "You can SMILE about that? That's awful. Just awful. I've seen men killed in front of me in WWII and this is much worse than that. Awful. Just awful."

I was completely unable to get him to see the bigger point, i.e: that we wouldn't be having this conversation without dialysis because I'd be six feet under! He just couldn't see it and kept shaking his head saying, "That's awful. Just awful."

Gee, thanks!  :banghead;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »