I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464376 times)
sarahmanda

« Reply #1375 on: July 18, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

But I HATE ....
When I'm out with friends or family & someone is like Eww.. whats that on your arm. I'm already self consious about how my arm looks do you think you need to make me feel worse? And I tell them its for my dialysis & then its like 20 questioins about why Im like this.

I call them my alien eggs

"Sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading" *Kevin Smith*
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1376 on: July 18, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »

But I HATE ....
When I'm out with friends or family & someone is like Eww.. whats that on your arm. I'm already self consious about how my arm looks do you think you need to make me feel worse? And I tell them its for my dialysis & then its like 20 questioins about why Im like this.

I have had 2 members of my family(brother and aunt) tell me to cover my fistula arm for family gatherings because it nauseated them to see it, and they dont want to disgust anyone. I had to wear long sleeves to a summer wedding in texas....

Ive had a stranger ask me if i had implants in my arms.. that cracked me up. I looked at it for a minute, thinking , "COuld i say they were implants??" Too bad i couldnt get a snake or something tattooes over it!!!!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1377 on: July 18, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »

Next family gathering - a henna tat!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

bleija

« Reply #1378 on: July 18, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

Wow gothic that's crazy. I dnt think I would done it. I wolda just been like its hot I am not wearing long sleeves n summer bc u r nauseated. That ur prob not mine.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1379 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »

i almost didnt go. They dont seem to care too much for me...  in fact, i havent really been invited to the last 2 family functions, idk why. I think I remind them too much of my late mother. Its unfortunate, because they are all I have left besides my father. My father is great though! (even if he is married to a psycho!)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1380 on: July 18, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »

But I HATE ....

I have had 2 members of my family(brother and aunt) tell me to cover my fistula arm for family gatherings because it nauseated them to see it, and they dont want to disgust anyone. I had to wear long sleeves to a summer wedding in texas....

Ive had a stranger ask me if i had implants in my arms.. that cracked me up. I looked at it for a minute, thinking , "COuld i say they were implants??" Too bad i couldnt get a snake or something tattooes over it!!!!

I'm with you on the tattoo part it would be cool if we could :)
But that was rude of your family to say that.. Normally I try & wear 3/4 sleves because it covers it up but in 90 degree weather I want to wear tanks. I know if some of my friends or family had to wear a fistula for a day I know they'd feel self-conscious & be freaking out, lol

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
sarahmanda

« Reply #1381 on: July 20, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »

I actually have a family reunion this weekend and I was thinking about people seeing my fistula just this morning. It really sucks that your family isn't more supportive, but if it were me I'd want to just go in flaunting it, just to piss them off, haha.

"Sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading" *Kevin Smith*
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1382 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »

:2thumbsup; :clap;
sometimes, thats what you gotta do!

HemoDialysis since 2007
MommyChick

« Reply #1383 on: July 20, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

:2thumbsup; :clap;
sometimes, thats what you gotta do!
Do it & tell them to kiss your  :sir ken; they shouldn't make you feel bad for something you can't control!!

- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
my5issues

« Reply #1384 on: July 21, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »

OK, so mine was....

So you mean you won't be able to drink liquor?...like never?

(that seemed to be their main concern when I told them the news)   :urcrazy;
MommyChick

« Reply #1385 on: July 21, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

OK, so mine was....

So you mean you won't be able to drink liquor?...like never?

(that seemed to be their main concern when I told them the news)   :urcrazy;
Ooo yes, I have heard that one too , & I used to tell them I dont have any kidneys ..you want me to stay drunk till my next dialysis session, lol

Here is another one... you dont pee??? they get very confused by that one, haha They think im an alien or somthing,  :urcrazy;

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1386 on: July 28, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

But I HATE ....

But that was rude of your family to say that.. Normally I try & wear 3/4 sleves because it covers it up but in 90 degree weather I want to wear tanks. I know if some of my friends or family had to wear a fistula for a day I know they'd feel self-conscious & be freaking out, lol
I DO wear tank tops and sun dresses. I live in a small town and if people here don't know the truth, they make something up! So I don't care what they think!   :rofl;
GLM: you are welcome at my house any time! We could call it a family function!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
MommyChick

« Reply #1387 on: July 28, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »

I DO wear tank tops and sun dresses. I live in a small town and if people here don't know the truth, they make something up! So I don't care what they think!   :rofl;
I wear them too, I just hate when people are rude !  :rofl;
But the people who arnt rude seem very curious about dialysis & kidney transplants... & some have even asked for info on getting tested. Now if they did I'll probably never know since there not friends or family.

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error- kitkatz, Moderator
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:32:53 PM by kitkatz » Logged

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1388 on: July 29, 2012, 03:20:45 AM »

My husband & I talked about this today. I asked if he thought my fistula is ugly. His response was "No, it just looks bruised sometimes". I agree, it does but actually, my eyes usually look worse. When I have put on more fluid than usual, I look like I have 2 black eyes! I'm not kidding! I had to go to the ER one night and they walked me out of the room (my husband was there) to go for a test and after we turned the corner, they started asking me why I had 2 black eyes! When I told my husband later, he was quite insulted!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
bleija

« Reply #1389 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »

i would ask my husband if my PD cath bothered him. and he always answered no, the only thing that bothered him were all the scars on my stomach. he just misses when my stomach was normal. we were friends before i found out anything about my kidney failure, he was one of the first ppl i felt i could confide in, it was easy to talk to him, he knows i cant control it, and he doesnt hold it against me in any way, but he is honest so i trust when he tells me it ddnt bother him.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1390 on: July 29, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »

But I HATE ....

Small towns SUCK! Ive heard everything, when i was ten i missed a bunch of school for a major surgery to remove a 25lb tumor, when i returned, people were saying I had cancer, aids, i was pregnant... o.0 really?

Id love to have a family function with ya'll!

HemoDialysis since 2007
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1391 on: July 30, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »

Small towns SUCK! Ive heard everything, when i was ten i missed a bunch of school for a major surgery to remove a 25lb tumor, when i returned, people were saying I had cancer, aids, i was pregnant... o.0 really?

Id love to have a family function with ya'll!
When I had a rejection episode as a kid and was out of school for a week, the biology instructor at school (who insisted on going by Dr. rather than Mr.) told all the teachers at the staff meeting that I was DEFINITELY going to need another transplant. He was right, it just took 25 more years for it to be necessary.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Dameeka

It is what it is! I could be gone.

« Reply #1392 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »

I had the winner yesterday, I was talking with my sister and one of her friends and explaining I was tired because I took off 5 kilos on dialysis last night.  Next question was how many pounds is that?  I sad about 12lbs and her friend acutally said "How can I get on one of those machines that would be awsome to loose 12lbs in 3 1/2 hours".  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Could they have said anything else that was stupid, people don't think..... :rant;

6/2009 Chest catheter inserted
6/2009 Started Hemo Dialysis
8/2009 Got fistula created
9/2009 Went to get fistula revised
MommyChick

« Reply #1393 on: July 30, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »

I had the winner yesterday, I was talking with my sister and one of her friends and explaining I was tired because I took off 5 kilos on dialysis last night.  Next question was how many pounds is that?  I sad about 12lbs and her friend acutally said "How can I get on one of those machines that would be awsome to loose 12lbs in 3 1/2 hours".  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Could they have said anything else that was stupid, people don't think..... :rant;

If only it were that easy,  :rofl;  At least you made me laugh tonight  :)

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1394 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »

LOL i always "amaze" people with that... you lost ten lbs in 2 years? oh ya? i lost 14 lbs in like 3 hours wooohoooo! they look at me like im insane. :P

HemoDialysis since 2007
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #1395 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

Just had the must frustratitng comment about my surgical scare on the forearm.  I was out with my nephews (4 & 8) and I had some NEW BORN RELIGIOUS NUT ask me "why did I try to kill my self and I needed to Find Jesus."  After ripping this person a new one, explaining a few tidbits from the Old Testament and indirectly teaching my nephews a few colorful words; I realized I can get a transplant to fix my health issues, but this inbred moron has no hope of a transplant to fix his issues.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
MommyChick

« Reply #1396 on: August 09, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »

Just had the must frustratitng comment about my surgical scare on the forearm.  I was out with my nephews (4 & 8) and I had some NEW BORN RELIGIOUS NUT ask me "why did I try to kill my self and I needed to Find Jesus."  After ripping this person a new one, explaining a few tidbits from the Old Testament and indirectly teaching my nephews a few colorful words; I realized I can get a transplant to fix my health issues, but this inbred moron has no hope of a transplant to fix his issues.
Wow.. That's horrible & to say that in front of your 4 year old nephew.
Good for you in putting him in his place & telling him off !!
What an jerk  :Kit n Stik;

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1397 on: August 09, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »

Well done, chiromac!

Galvo
JasonEb

« Reply #1398 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:14 AM »

I've been lucky enough to have the same fistula for almost 12 years now.  Unfortunately, though, I have basically a track mark that runs from about 2 inches above the rest (a little after where the fistula surgery scar ends) up to about an inch and a half shy of the end of my forearm.  I also am one of those who only wears short sleeves (even in winter), wear my hair long, and tend to have a stubble.

For the most part, the general populace asking me what happened to my arm doesn't bother me.  It gives me a chance to enlighten them a bit.  What does bother me a bit is two things...both usually at the grocery store:

1)  I can hear people whispering behind me in line, "Look at that guys arm," or "That guy must shoot up" or similar things like that.

2)  The cashier will be all friendly to me until he/she sees my arm (like if I hand them some money) and you can see their eyes quickly glance at my arm, then they get that nervous smile/attitude where they are trying to act like they didn't see anything but you know they did.  If I'm feeling particularly ornery when these happen, I'll sometime pretend to act all twitchy and meth-y.

I've always wanted to have two t-shirts made.  The first would read on the front (in big letters) "I AM NOT AN IV DRUG USER" and the back would read "I am a dialysis patient".  The second would read "Curious about the arm?" on the front and the back would read "It's okay to ask."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1399 on: August 15, 2012, 04:41:16 AM »

I really like the second one, I wouldn't dare walking around with the first one. Way too many users where I would walk around. Might get yet another scar.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »