I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464365 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1350 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »

I have scares now on both arms, left elbow for fistula and right forearm (from my wrist to elbow) for my heart surgery.  I had someone ask were I got the cool tattoos, they look really cool.  I took a moment to look at my arms and told him St. Lukes Hospital, but this idiot actually ask "you can get Tattoos at a Hospital."

Now that's a full service medical center!  Although, the new fashion for white ink tats on pale skin always look like scars to me.

Still, I do remember my elderly great-aunt having a fit when my mother let me get my ears pierced at the jewelry store, instead of going to the doctor.  Apparently, they used to do that - must have been during a house call.

Oh, I had a classic one today.  I went into a herbal shop  to buy a vitamin and in talking about it, I mentioned that I was on dialysis.  The woman then tells me that she is a nutritionist which always raises,a red flag because any nutritionist that I've ever come across has always made ludicrous comments about kidney failure and/or what I should eat (normally, the advice is for things that I shouldn't eat).  Well, I wasn't disappointed because she then tells me that it's a shame I hadn't  come to her shope earlier then maybe dialysis could have been prevented!  Well, she is at least 23 years too late, and given my strong British accent, it may have been a rather long journey to have made 23 years ago to seek her advice!!!!

Inside I'm pretty p***** but I recognise that she is well intentioned, and as usual I feel obliged not to make the other person feel bad about the crap that they are spouting.  So I mumble something about my condition being terminal and that nothing could have,prevented it anyway.  I wish that I could just come straight out and tell people like this that they are just talking shite and afterwards I feel frustrated that,I didn't have the confidence to educate,them on their knowledge deficits!!!!!!  Grrr!   :shy; :shy; :bow; :bow; :bow; :Kit n Stik;

Well, if you had juvenile diabetes like me, I suppose a nutritionist could have prevented kidney failure.  All she would have had to do is convince 13-year-old me not to eat any of the foods I liked back in the pre-pump, never adjust your insulin dose, what's a carb?, just don't eat any fruit, bread, or sugar ever days.  Yeah, okay, never mind.  It's not possible.   ::)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1351 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

Still, I do remember my elderly great-aunt having a fit when my mother let me get my ears pierced at the jewelry store, instead of going to the doctor.  Apparently, they used to do that - must have been during a house call.

I actually got my ears pierced at the drs office! They don't still do that?

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1352 on: July 14, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »

I actually got my ears pierced at the drs office! They don't still do that?

Can you imagine how much they'd charge now!?!  Pretty sure Blue Cross isn't gonna cover that....

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1353 on: July 14, 2012, 07:20:35 PM »

Very true!   :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1354 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »

technically piercings and stuff like that are considered a form of surgery... part of the reasons most states have laws that make places have liscense to do them.
Idk if anyone is familiar with scarification, or implants (not the breast kind lol) but they take skill. Not anyone can do them.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1355 on: July 15, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »

Mmm, I pierced my own ears. It did make me feel a bit sick, but persisted, should I see myself from see myself now as a skilled person?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1356 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »

It is funny to go to the start of this thread and read it.  This thread has lasted 6.5 years!  LifeonHold is now gone but she was hilarious!

I miss her (Darlene).   :(

WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1357 on: July 15, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »

Planning a trip next summer and a friend asks, "But wont you be back on dialysis by then?"   :stressed;  I sure hope not.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1358 on: July 15, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »

Planning a trip next summer and a friend asks, "But wont you be back on dialysis by then?"
Yikes. That'll bring the grey hairs out....

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1359 on: July 15, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

Planning a trip next summer and a friend asks, "But wont you be back on dialysis by then?"   :stressed;  I sure hope not.

Wow, what do these people think, that we go through all that just so we can have a year off of dialysis? WTF???

I usually get the opposite reaction, which is understandable. I have educated people that a kidney transplant doesn't last a lifetime, but you always hope it does! The non-CKD people in my circle seem to have an understanding about that, which I am thankful for!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1360 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

I've have knocked her head against some wood, 'cause I'm just superstitious like that...

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1361 on: July 15, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

I am so sick of answering these questions:
Aren't you on the transplant list? no.  The next questions is: Why not?
Is it anyone's business but my doctor's and my business why not!!!        :sarcasm;
Sheez!   

So what would be a good story or quip or thing to tell nosy people? 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
HippieMama

« Reply #1362 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »

I was told to just refuse to accept my disease and God would heal me.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1363 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »

My Mom and Dad were first cousins so I won't match anyone.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1364 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »

I am so sick of answering these questions:
Aren't you on the transplant list? no.  The next questions is: Why not?
Is it anyone's business but my doctor's and my business why not!!!        :sarcasm;
Sheez!   

So what would be a good story or quip or thing to tell nosy people? 

Hmmm....

Wasn't it Zach who used to say he couldn't stand the thought of being carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey?

What I've got so far:

No, you have to be sane to get on.   ;D  (Say this one totally deadpan, just so you can watch their faces while they work it out.)

No, they run a background check, and I didn't think I'd pass.  You know how wild I used to be....

No, I had to pick between the transplant list and Santa's nice list.  I opted for gifts/chose the loot/wanted the swag.

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1365 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

:rofl; love those!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1366 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »

I have educated my friends & family on my dialysis & awaiting a transplant. You can tell who your friends are when there super supportive!!!

But I HATE ....
When I'm out with friends or family & someone is like Eww.. whats that on your arm. I'm already self consious about how my arm looks do you think you need to make me feel worse? And I tell them its for my dialysis & then its like 20 questioins about why Im like this.
 I hate stupid people !!!
 :Kit n Stik;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1367 on: July 18, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »

OK this is not about dialysis, well it is. I am very petite, well thin really but I always have been. Hubby has been through the wringer a lot lately and with the stress I have lost weight. Saw a friend yesterday and she said "aren't you thin, you have lost a lot of weight" I frigging .know I have lost weight. So I said to her "thats not nice, I think you have got fat" That shut her up. I think I have lost a friend.  :Kit n Stik;
lainiepop

« Reply #1368 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »

Billybags i can relate to that i'm short & thin & lost Weight a couple wks before My tx from stress then lost even more in hospital & people Kept saying i looked great but too thin. I got really upset bout it i'd just had major Surgery & was going so Well Why do people wa nna make you feel bad i'd never say Somcones fat why is it ok to bash thin people?! well am 7 wks post tX & been eating tons & have gained every clinic app loI am almost back to what i was before i lost pre tx am just happy my clothes have Started fitting!

Also i look young for 3O & Someone waiting for bloods asked me if my daughter was Mine then said he thought i looked I3! l8 or 2O is a compliment l3 is just rude lol!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1369 on: July 18, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

But I HATE ....
When I'm out with friends or family & someone is like Eww.. whats that on your arm. I'm already self consious about how my arm looks do you think you need to make me feel worse? And I tell them its for my dialysis & then its like 20 questioins about why Im like this.
 I hate stupid people !!!
 :Kit n Stik;

i tell people that's where my alligator is, that usually shuts them up quick.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
bleija

« Reply #1370 on: July 18, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

Billybags i can relate to that i'm short & thin & lost Weight a couple wks before My tx from stress then lost even more in hospital & people Kept saying i looked great but too thin. I got really upset bout it i'd just had major Surgery & was going so Well Why do people wa nna make you feel bad i'd never say Somcones fat why is it ok to bash thin people?! well am 7 wks post tX & been eating tons & have gained every clinic app loI am almost back to what i was before i lost pre tx am just happy my clothes have Started fitting!

Also i look young for 3O & Someone waiting for bloods asked me if my daughter was Mine then said he thought i looked I3! l8 or 2O is a compliment l3 is just rude lol!

im the same way, i am 22, but eveeryone says i look 16 or 17, i actually was in walmart once and had my key set on the litte table abd the cashier asked me "whos keys r those?" im like "mine?" and then she said those aint your keys u cant be older than eleven.
now i dnt know where she lives, but i am 5'8" and about 160lbs, never have i seen and eleven year old of
another time, i was buying my dad cigarettes, and the guy IDd me and then said it had to be fake, cuz there was no way i was 21(i was at the time)... he would not sell them to me either had to go to another store, can u beleive that
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1371 on: July 18, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »

Oh, lainiepop and billy, please don't hate me, but I think there are many, many of us who could not conceive of anyone feeling hurt at being called thin. I had it drilled into me from a young age fat=insult, thin=compliment. Even when people were saying I was too thin, looked drawn, looked ill, I just never took it as anything but concern and/or control freakishness (parents, doctors). To this day, and back when I was in the depths of illness and weighed less than I did at age 13, I cannot refer to myself as thin. It just feels like I'm bragging. When friends would refer to me as thin I would usually answer 'I don't see myself that way, but thank you!'

I guess comments on one's body are always fraught and best avoided.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
bleija

« Reply #1372 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »

i think it comes off more as an insult when ur self conscieous about your image.  I think if your trying to gain weight or if you think your healthy, and someone comes along and contradicts you, it can come off as an insult. i have a friend that is really thin and she is self conscious and gets really upset when ppl say she thin. and let me tell she eats. i think it depends on the person, me personally i would like to lose a few belly lbs, but my boss told me i was looking too thin and i needed to eat more. i guess its just opinion and everyones different
chiawana

« Reply #1373 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

I had a co-worker ask me how long my husband was going to be on dialysis. Uh, what? I said, "Until he gets a transplant." She's like, "Really?!"  I had to explain that his kidneys don't work, and he has to have dialysis . . . this is a person who works in health care, too. Wow.

My husband is represented in the avatar - he's a Capricorn, the Goat. He's been knocked off his mountaintop so many times by his health issues, but he continues to fight his way back to the top, a little worse for wear.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1374 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Thin isn't always a good thing when you are sick, but healthy people don't get that.  I lost a lot of weight with my transplant complications.  If I'd been thin to start - or even just at the upper limit of my BMI range, I would have been even weaker than I was.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »