I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464355 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1325 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »

I always tell them it's because I'm not in uniform.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1326 on: June 12, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »

I had an xray tech tell me I did not look like a dialysis patient.

I also hear that a lot - I offer to show them my catheter... :rofl;

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #1327 on: July 05, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »

Last Friday I was talking to a nurse about being a dialysis/transplant patient. He was very interested and kind, and as we ended the conversation he said, "Well hopefully that will be able to grow one out of your own cells someday." When the stupid case manager and dietician chimed in and said, "uummm I don't know...that is stepping on God's turf. I don't know if they will be able to do that since it was created by God. etc..."

People are ass hats!

xo,
R

lol, yes, yes they are.  How is hooking people up to dialysis, or even just giving them antibiotics "stepping on God's turf?"
sheesh, nice case manager you've  got there...

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
nanadar

« Reply #1328 on: July 05, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »

I had a co-worker ask me " so how long do you have to do this for... a week or 2 weeks ?"   DUH... the rest of my life you moron. It's NOT a cold that I will "get over soon".
Annig83

« Reply #1329 on: July 05, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

Today, I went for about a 2 mile walk with my son.  I live off a busy street in Indianapolis.  3x I had young teenagers yell out their windows at me to lose some F-ing weight!  It wouldn't have bothered me so much normally, but my confidence has been down lately.  My doctor wants me to lose 30 lbs and I thought I was doing something good for myself?  What A**HOLES.  If those jerks only knew what I go through everyday... ugh I wanted to punch them in the face!

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1330 on: July 05, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »

I find the fastest way to shut up teenager boys being rude is to tell them that with that attitude, they're never gonna get laid.  (Worked wonders with my mouthy nephew!)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sarahmanda

« Reply #1331 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

A guy that worked with my best friend had come over one night with a bunch of their co-workers and he was kind of hitting on me, then he spotted my arm and my alien eggs (what I call my fistula, haha) and asked me point blank "Whoa, do you shoot up?" after I had already explained to him that I didn't really drink and have never done drugs. Oh and he asked me if I was pregnant (I'm a bigger girl)...so sweet of him...and after his super polite comments he still asked me if I would go out with him. Whatever/

"Sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading" *Kevin Smith*
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1332 on: July 06, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »

Today, I went for about a 2 mile walk with my son.  I live off a busy street in Indianapolis.  3x I had young teenagers yell out their windows at me to lose some F-ing weight!  It wouldn't have bothered me so much normally, but my confidence has been down lately.  My doctor wants me to lose 30 lbs and I thought I was doing something good for myself?  What A**HOLES.  If those jerks only knew what I go through everyday... ugh I wanted to punch them in the face!
Oh, Annie. Not fun to deal with obnoxious little cretins.

What I would do in Milwaukee might work in your area depending on laws and what sort of police force you have. If it happens again, write down the addresses and then call the non-emergency number for the police and say you have a nuisance complaint and want the house issued a ticket. In Milwaukee, because it is such a college town, not only do the police HAVE to give an expensive ticket to the property if it is requested for certain violations, but they are not allowed to disclose who called in the complaint. If the people at the house want to know, they must contest the ticket in court in front of a judge. The police do not need to witness the violation either.

In Milwaukee, you need an address in order to register such a complaint. When Gwyn and I lived closer to campus, we routinely phoned in noise complaints. Homeowners used to walk around at night collecting addresses. One night a drunken idiot shouted down to Gwyn "We're at [the exact address], a-hole!" Two women who were out on the balcony with the person clamped their hands over his mouth and dragged him inside. The police not only responded but when I said I did not think my husband should ever be talked to that way, the policeman said 'oh, I agree with you!' You don't always get such nice ones, but we lucked out that night. The drunk individual must have dug a bigger hole for himself, because the police followed up with us and said that they could not give us details, but there had been an arrest.

If you get a nice cop to help, and especially if this is a repeated problem, they will probably go to the house just to scare some sense into the boys. (I assume these were all boys?) I would not hesitate to pour on the drama, too. "I am a mom doing the best I can even though I've got a terminal illness, and my doctor told me that I need to get some exercise and lose weight in order to qualify for an organ transplant. Walking is all I can manage. I think I have the right to walk down the streets of America unmolested, don't you?"

When I was in school our gym teacher was one of these women who wanted to teach us girls to stand up for ourselves. Can't say I learned a lot athletically from her, but I do remember her telling us that she used to go jogging every day past a construction site and all the men would catcall and make fools of themselves. She called up the construction company and told them "I am in a sorority at the local university. If this doesn't stop, I will have 300 women picketing your site tomorrow morning." The next day she jogged by and was met with complete silence. (And the sorority story was all a superb bluff.)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Annig83

« Reply #1333 on: July 06, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »

Thanks guys.  Cariad- I would love to report them... unfortunately they were in cars... would it work for the license plates?  Next time, I'll be sure to bring a pad and paper with me.  People can be so mean. 

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1334 on: July 06, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »

Aaaaah, cars! Of course. The true coward's way.

In that case, I think you just have to accept that it happens to all of us. Gwyn and I were walking in Ann Arbor once and someone threw a lit cigarette at Gwyn and it left a mark on his very expensive suede coat. I have to think these people have miserable lives if this is what passes for fun. Don't let them intimidate you out of enjoying whatever exercise you choose. :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1335 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

wow...I read through this page of replies...man oh man....teenagers yelling at people to lose weight, asshole dates, & people who are just generally uninformed about what dialysis entails.... :urcrazy;

hang in there peeps....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1336 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

You know, I can understand people being ignorant out of being uninformed.  There is no real reason for the average person to know anything about dialysis, so if someone wonders if it only takes about a month or so for dialysis to cure you, well, I take the opportunity to educate and inform.  There's a lot of stuff that I don't know because I don't have to know it, but that doesn't make me stupid; it just makes me uninformed. 

But being cruel is a whole 'nuther thing.  I can't stand that.  Bullying and just being generally unkind is the one thing that I just will not tolerate nor excuse. I do not understand the mindset of people who are randomly unkind.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1337 on: July 07, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »

I had some guy make a comment to me about my weight in a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Shop.  I did not hear him, so asked him to repeat himself, and asked him again when I did not hear him. He said never mind.   I guess repeating himself was embarrassing.

Besides what gives anyone a right to say anything to anyone about weight or appearance?  They do not know anything about you or your life and challenges or victories.  :grouphug; 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1338 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

As you guys probably know I'm a big girl,and when I was pregnant I was eyeballing some sweet looking pastry in line st the grocery.when an old guy told me that I don't. Need those. I didn't want them but it kinds idled me but I smiled and said I know...
some people think the worst of big people.  I prefer salads and veggies over all else,but to lookat me you wouldn't think so.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1339 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »

I know this has been posted but I am soooooo tired of people telling me that I do not look sick.  I had 2 more people tell me that in church today.  I informed them that I have spent the last 2 weekends in the hospital as I ran a fever for 23 nights and had a temporary stroke. Response: Oh, well you look great!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #1340 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:49 AM »

YI Guy,   That is the worst!  I hate it when people say I look great.  I have conjestive heart failure, advanced liver disease (HEP C), and kidney failure.  I have good days, but I have had a lot of really bad days.  I struggle to keep as healthy as I can.  One thing that helps is Quinogel, a bio-available form of Co!10, that's great for folks like me that are over 50.  I also hit the treadmill about six days a week.  But dialysis seems to suck the life right out of me sometimes.  It's a constant battle to keep kicking.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1341 on: July 09, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »

I dunno, I kinda feel the opposite.  Every single medical provider I've seen has told me how good I look despite everything, and I am thankful for that.  I may BE sick, but I don't want to LOOK sick, too.  It makes me feel that my efforts to keep myself healthy are paying off.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
big777bill

« Reply #1342 on: July 09, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »

Moosemom what you said reminds me of a quote by Ricaldo Montelbond on, I believe, The Johnny Carson Show. He said "I would rather be sick than look sick", lol. And they say "vanity thy name is woman".

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1343 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »

And they say "vanity thy name is woman".

LOL!  I'm old enough to know there's a difference between someone telling me I'm looking good despite having crap kidneys and someone telling me I'm good looking.  Sooooo not the same thing. :rofl;

big777bill

« Reply #1344 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »

It was Fernando Lamas not Ricardo M.  My memory is shot but It did come to me finally.lol He died not too terrible long after saying it.

CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1345 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

It was Fernando Lamas not Ricardo M.  My memory is shot but It did come to me finally.lol He died not too terrible long after saying it.

You know, I DO remember that!  And Billy Crystal on Saturday Night Live used to do a parody of him...."You look maaaaahvahlus!"

big777bill

« Reply #1346 on: July 09, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

That's the one! We're showing our age now.

CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1347 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »

That's the one! We're showing our age now.

Dunno about you, but I'm only 29.  My grey hair isn't real. :P

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1348 on: July 10, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »

Oh, I had a classic one today.  I went into a herbal shop  to buy a vitamin and in talking about it, I mentioned that I was on dialysis.  The woman then tells me that she is a nutritionist which always raises,a red flag because any nutritionist that I've ever come across has always made ludicrous comments about kidney failure and/or what I should eat (normally, the advice is for things that I shouldn't eat).  Well, I wasn't disappointed because she then tells me that it's a shame I hadn't  come to her shope earlier then maybe dialysis could have been prevented!  Well, she is at least 23 years too late, and given my strong British accent, it may have been a rather long journey to have made 23 years ago to seek her advice!!!!

Inside I'm pretty p***** but I recognise that she is well intentioned, and as usual I feel obliged not to make the other person feel bad about the crap that they are spouting.  So I mumble something about my condition being terminal and that nothing could have,prevented it anyway.  I wish that I could just come straight out and tell people like this that they are just talking shite and afterwards I feel frustrated that,I didn't have the confidence to educate,them on their knowledge deficits!!!!!!  Grrr!   :shy; :shy; :bow; :bow; :bow; :Kit n Stik;

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #1349 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »

I have scares now on both arms, left elbow for fistula and right forearm (from my wrist to elbow) for my heart surgery.  I had someone ask were I got the cool tattoos, they look really cool.  I took a moment to look at my arms and told him St. Lukes Hospital, but this idiot actually ask "you can get Tattoos at a Hospital."

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »