I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 450278 times)
LifeOnHold

« on: August 19, 2005, 07:14:29 PM »

What's the most ignorant thing someone has said to you regarding dialysis?

My 'winner' was: "Boy, I wish someone would make ME sit in a recliner for four hours!"

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:18:57 PM »

What's the most ignorant thing someone has said to you regarding dialysis?

My 'winner' was: "Boy, I wish someone would make ME sit in a recliner for four hours!"

As you know I am in a wheelchair, and what really pisses me off is when someone says:

"Woah I got to get me one of those"

Yet they are perfectly healthy and walking. Or I also hate it when someone says:

"Boy that looks like fun"

Talking about how I speed past them.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »

I  have  a co-worker  who  was  trying  to  lose  weight  and  told  "I'LL GIVE  YOU ONE  OF  MY  KIDNEYS,  I  do  need  to lose  15-20lbs  that  would  take  care  of  that  problem."                            I  wanted  to  say  why  don't you just  quit  eating  so  much crap and  might  end  up  losing  more  than  20lbs.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:39:09 PM »

I  have  a co-worker  who  was  trying  to  lose  weight  and  told  "I'LL GIVE  YOU ONE  OF  MY  KIDNEYS,  I  do  need  to lose  15-20lbs  that  would  take  care  of  that  problem."                            I  wanted  to  say  why  don't you just  quit  eating  so  much crap and  might  end  up  losing  more  than  20lbs.

I  have gotten to the point where nothing people say will shock or surprise me, people are idiots plain and simple. If they just thought about what they were saying first. I mean really think about it, they might realize how ignorant they sound.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:22:10 PM »

Today a co-worker came in and closed the door to tell me that she was really thinking about me and hoped that I got better soon. 

I laid it right out to her.  "I'm not going to get better.  This is it and most likely, since I'm still producing some urine, it will only get worse.  Don't ask me how I feel or if I feel better because I don't.  If you want to do something for me go learn what CKF is and what dialysis is.  Then you won't sound so ignorant!"  She then asked me... "well, what exactly is dialysis"  I pointed to the door and told her to go look it up on the internet because they can explain it much better than I can and it exhausts me to try and explain it from the beginning."  I don't liker her anyway~ :-X

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 09:05:24 PM »

The newest dumb question:  If you stopped dialysis would your kidneys fail?  This is an educated adult woman!!!  ;D

LifeOnHold

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 11:04:48 PM »

Sounds like that woman needs brain dialysis!   >:D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 12:57:46 AM »

Rerun,

I hope you had informed her the truth......Jamie-G

What's life with out a little magic?
geoffcamp

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »

When a co-worker saw the scars on my arm from the graft and then the fistula one day she asked me if I had tried to kill myself.  I wanted to just say yes!

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
geoffcamp

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 08:39:03 AM »

I had the winner yesterday, I was talking with my sister and one of her friends and explaining I was tired because I took off 5 kilos on dialysis last night.  Next question was how many pounds is that?  I sad about 12lbs and her friend acutally said "How can I get on one of those machines that would be awsome to loose 12lbs in 3 1/2 hours".  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
LifeOnHold

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

I had the winner yesterday, I was talking with my sister and one of her friends and explaining I was tired because I took off 5 kilos on dialysis last night. Next question was how many pounds is that? I sad about 12lbs and her friend acutally said "How can I get on one of those machines that would be awsome to loose 12lbs in 3 1/2 hours". AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

And cutting her head off would be an even QUICKER way for her to lose 12 pounds!   >:D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 08:49:44 PM »

When I first started this crap in September I was on Weight Watchers at work.  After my first dialysis I lost like 6 pounds.  The instructor went nuts and I got a STAR and a BOOKMARK.  I didn't say anything and just took the applause!   ;D 8)

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 05:35:04 AM »

Ignorant things people say #354:

"When I feel down and depressed... I just think of you and all you have to go through......."

Great!  When things are shit in your life just think of me!!!  And when I'm down and depressed, I just think of Terri Shivo!  Cheers me right up!   :P

LifeOnHold

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 06:57:04 AM »

OK, I know that people praying for you is supposed to be a good thing... but to hear "The ladies in my _______ club are all praying for you"  is like saying, "Hey!  Your life is such a nightmare, we're all praying to our favorite religious figure that you have the strength to keep going, because WE sure couldn't imagine having to live like that!"

It's also weird to hear people claim they are praying for you, when previously the only prayers they said were that they didn't get caught doing whatever they were doing!  As if they believe that if they change their behavior, God will somehow 'credit' your account!  (They don't seem to realize that this totally negates what Jesus did on the cross-- but that's a whole 'nother subject!)

So I just say "Thank you!" and try to change the subject.  Most of the people I talk to are quite surprised that I don't yak about how God is my life-line, I 'accept' dialysis as my cross to bear, blah blah blah... personally, I think that anyone who thinks God has decreed that they experience dialysis as some sort of penance really needs to examine their own religious beliefs and find out why they believe God is punishing them!

I mean, if you want to get technical, being on Earth at ALL, even in a healthy body, is punishment, because we're not in Heaven with God... and dialysis is a choice, not something that automatically happens to you when you get kidney failure.  You make the choice to live every day that you park your ass in the dialysis chair-- if God was really 'punishing' you, people would come to your house and DRAG you to your treatments! 

If there's any 'punishment' going on, it's dialysis patients having to listen to the same stupid questions over and over again despite having already explained this stuff a million times to people who purport to care!

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
kevno

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »

When I went back on dialysis a doctor said, You may have to wait six months to a year for a transplant? If only he knew what he had said.  17 years and still counting.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 08:46:52 PM »

I have freckles on my face.  I have always hated them and everyone said I would grow out of them  I'm 44 and they are still there.

Today in the waiting room at the Dr. office this lady (who couldn't speak English very well) asked me "if the spots on my face were from kidney failure." 

I said "yes these are liver spots and you will get them with kidney failure."  She said "oh" and put her hands to her face as if to try and feel if they were there yet.   >:D

Also, her little boys were running all over and trying to break the Venetian blinds on the windows.  I yelled at them and told them to "GO SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW AND BE QUIET."    They did.

kevno

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »

Rerun, you are not getting grumpy in your Old Age! ;D

Kevno

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »

How about
"Did you know so and so's brother passed away from a heart attack one night after he came home from dialysis."

Three people at work felt they had to tell me this information.  Why did I need to know that?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:24:04 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 01:19:25 AM »

Go ahead....Ask me one more time....
Are you on the transplant list yet????

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 06:40:11 PM »

That is the MAIN reason I got on the list!  To shut people up!  Well, now they ask "How long have you been on the list?"  AND  "How long do people have to wait?"  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh   :P

kevno

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:26:32 AM »

Tell me about it :o :o :o I get asked by the same people every year "are you on the list?" good job I know them :-\ :-\  Even by the Doctors >:( >:(

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 08:03:08 PM »

I entered a meeting with all the salespeople and they made a comment as to how tan I was.

It was the middle of winter and I don't go to tanning salons, but my Vitamin D injections darken my skin from time to time.

"I wish I could get a free tan, you look great."

Morons.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »

Some people do say some stupid things, but you have to realise that most people havent even heard of dialysis. When I met my now fiance he hadnt heard of it, neither had his family. They have all asked some stupid questions, its understandable.

I too am a bit sick of being asked if Im on the list, I know they mean well, but having to explain things 500 times is annoying. Im not on the list because as soon as I lose some weight, mums giving me a kidney. I have to explain this each time argh!
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »

My neighbor was on me about having a drink on Saturday night.  I said "I'm on fluid restriction."  She said "I thought people with kidney problems were supposed to drink lots of water."   :o

Well.......that would be if you HAD working kidneys~ !! >:D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 11:55:11 PM »

My neighbor was on me about having a drink on Saturday night.  I said "I'm on fluid restriction."  She said "I thought people with kidney problems were supposed to drink lots of water."    :o

Well.......that would be if you HAD working kidneys~ !! >:D

GOD I hate ignorant people. I hate it when people tell me to eat alot of vegetables to help clean my system out.  >:( ::)

Also I have heard that too, you should drink lots of water.  >:( ::) What I REALLY FREAKING HATE is when I tell people my bones won't heal and they tell me to drink lots of milk.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

- Epoman

Damn now you guys (members) got me all upset.  >:(

;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »