I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463060 times)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

Because serious illness is extremely rare in a human population which has been evolving for a million years to weed out all the genetic types likely to become sick, most people can abuse their body with drugs, drink, excessive food intake, lack of exercise, and lack of sleep and yet still remain essentially healthy.  Just look at all the street people sleeping in cardboard boxes and drinking mouthwash for the inexpensive alcohol they can get from it and eating little else -- they all must have two perfectly functioning kidneys, even after years of living like that, or they would be dead!

As a result, when you let some healthy person know how sick you are, he will automatically assume you must have severely abused your body in some dreadful and stupid way in order to have become that ill, because in his own experience, no matter how careless of his health he may be, he simply cannot get sick.
mallory

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »

Because serious illness is extremely rare in a human population which has been evolving for a million years to weed out all the genetic types likely to become sick, most people can abuse their body with drugs, drink, excessive food intake, lack of exercise, and lack of sleep and yet still remain essentially healthy. Just look at all the street people sleeping in cardboard boxes and drinking mouthwash for the inexpensive alcohol they can get from it and eating little else -- they all must have two perfectly functioning kidneys, even after years of living like that, or they would be dead!

As a result, when you let some healthy person know how sick you are, he will automatically assume you must have severely abused your body in some dreadful and stupid way in order to have become that ill, because in his own experience, no matter how careless of his health he may be, he simply cannot get sick.

Stauffenberg, That is so true!  I find it so strange that a lot of people think I must have done something to make my kidneys fail, and so now I "deserve" having dialysis because of whatever it was that I did.  I didn't do anything!  I got vasculitis!  I want to say to some people, "This could happen to you, too, you know!"

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2006, 05:08:37 PM »

Amazingly enough that has been proven true as people keep asking me if I lost my transplant from DRINKING!! WTF!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!   :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

a lot of people think I must have done something to make my kidneys fail, and so now I "deserve" having dialysis because of whatever it was that I did. I didn't do anything! I got vasculitis! I want to say to some people, "This could happen to you, too, you know!"
EXACTLY!!! I had reflux!! It wasn't my fault the doc never believed my mom enough to run tests and find it and operate when I was a baby!!  But ya .. maybe that is why people don't care about donating kidneys .. :( :'(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:11:09 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »

one more example of that . .
My mother and aunt both died from liver failure.  Every doc I've ever had automatically assumes during my family history discussion that it was alcohol related.  Neither one of them drank - my mother's was medical error; my aunt's was genetic.  There are plenty of reasons for liver failure that have nothing to do with cirrhosis.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2006, 08:45:34 PM »

Or to me as they are reading my chart..."You're diabetic, right?"    "No asshole. Read the chart.  I am not diabetic."  I hate the assumptions just because a lot of other people have ESRD and are diabetic, I fit the mold.  Sheez!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2006, 10:04:30 PM »

Or to me as they are reading my chart..."You're diabetic, right?"    "No asshole. Read the chart.  I am not diabetic."  I hate the assumptions just because a lot of other people have ESRD and are diabetic, I fit the mold.  Sheez!

Exactly

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
AlasdairUK

« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2006, 07:46:32 AM »

Or to me as they are reading my chart..."You're diabetic, right?" "No asshole. Read the chart. I am not diabetic." I hate the assumptions just because a lot of other people have ESRD and are diabetic, I fit the mold. Sheez!

Oh so your not diabetic, my bad.  >:D

Hope your stick is not too close. Aw that hurt. Next time I will make sure I satnd a little further from Kitkatz BIG stick. That grumpy diabetic. You know what she is like when her blood sugar drops. Aw, need to stand further, Aw, Back. Damn that BIG stick Aw. 

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

If that were any funnier, I would be laughing!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2006, 01:14:37 PM »

Oooooops....is this a site for Dialysis patients?....oooops....wrong site ....I have Dualyisis.... >:D
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2006, 01:14:35 AM »

Oooooops....is this a site for Dialysis patients?....oooops....wrong site ....I have Dualyisis.... >:D

See attachment :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »

Hmmm . .  - wouldn't that be Duelalysis?  Make one of them the patient and put one in a white coat -  :D

I think my doc would be much more helpful if I had a light saber. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »

Hmmm . .  - wouldn't that be Duelalysis?  Make one of them the patient and put one in a white coat -  :D

I think my doc would be much more helpful if I had a light saber. . .
:D hahahahha!!!  :clap;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »

Because serious illness is extremely rare in a human population which has been evolving for a million years to weed out all the genetic types likely to become sick....

What are you talking about?  Serious illness is extremely rare?
Tell that to folks with breast cancer, or colon cancer, or prostate cancer, or AIDS, or heart disease, or diabetes, or Hepatitis C.

Your theory doesn't wash.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:51:34 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »

Because serious illness is extremely rare in a human population which has been evolving for a million years to weed out all the genetic types likely to become sick....

What are you talking about?  Serious illness is extremely rare?
Tell that to folks with breast cancer, or colon cancer, or prostate cancer, or AIDS, or heart disease, or diabetes, or Hepatitis C.

Your theory doesn't wash.

Well said.

DeLana   :2thumbsup;
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »

There are tens of thousands of different TYPES of disease, but some of these types are represented by only a handful of individuals per country, such as Hutchinson-Gilford's Disease, Progeria, von Recklingshausen's Syndrome, etc.  Anecdotal impressions to the contrary, hard epidemiological data shows that only a small percentage of the population is ever seriously and chronically ill.  Just look at renal failure: it may look like a major issue to us, but in fact, only one person in a thousand is on dialysis in the U.S. -- that's 0.1 %.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

There are tens of thousands of different TYPES of disease, but some of these types are represented by only a handful of individuals per country, such as Hutchinson-Gilford's Disease, Progeria, von Recklingshausen's Syndrome, etc.  Anecdotal impressions to the contrary, hard epidemiological data shows that only a small percentage of the population is ever seriously and chronically ill.  Just look at renal failure: it may look like a major issue to us, but in fact, only one person in a thousand is on dialysis in the U.S. -- that's 0.1 %.
Well that would explain why there isn't a lot of commercials educating everyone like there is for cancer or smoking even  ::). I remember how they went all crazy with education for AIDS.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2006, 09:36:59 PM »

But of course what I was saying was that many people, if not most, know someone who is seriously ill.
Lets get real.  Progeria??
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:46:31 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2006, 08:38:27 AM »

I'll grant that most people probably know someone who is serioiusly ill, but how well do they know what the illness really means?  Most people who knew me when I was on dialysis either did not know I was a renal patient at all or, if they did, thought renal disease meant you had to take diuretic pills to urinate.

But the actual incidence of severe chronic illness -- after a million years of human evolution when everyone carrying either these inherited diseases, the disposition to develop them, or a lack of resistance to them was killed off by natural selection -- is small.  For example, the military with the strictest criteria in the world for accepting draftees for military service is the United States armed forces, and in World War II, when a high degree of nearsightedness, flat feet, insufficient teeth to chew hardtack, homosexuality, extreme tallness, shortness, or obesity, such that standard army issue boots and uniforms would not fit, were all reasons for rejecting people as "medically unfit" for service, 67% of all draftees were nonetheless found fit.  If even such trivial and common "problems" were grounds for finding someone unfit, the number of people rejected for truly serious medical conditions must have been a very small part of the 33% group of those unfit for service.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2006, 09:28:56 AM »

When people hear that Jenna has kidney failure and needs a transplant they ask, of course. "Is she on the list?"

I look at them and ask, "List?"

I love watching them try to explain it.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »

You should see their faces when I explain that the list is 8 years loooooooong. Usually they look to the other side.... ::)
Fox_nc

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2006, 06:40:09 PM »

When people hear that Jenna has kidney failure and needs a transplant they ask, of course. "Is she on the list?"

I look at them and ask, "List?"

I love watching them try to explain it.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Panda_9

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »

I was talking to a lady at the bustop the other day and she was telling me about the church she goes too. As usual I just pretend Im listening and she said she would put in a prayer for me. I thought that was lovely of her until she said how many people have benefited from their prayers and that hopefully if she puts one in for me I wont need a kidney. What the??
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2006, 08:03:10 PM »

So the medical field doesn't know all that much either....everytime I go to the ER, they ask for your history of course, and I have to say I had a kidney transplant before. Everytime, this is the first question after I say that.. "Which kidney?"... Which kidney WHAT?? I had a whole new kidney put in... WTF.... where do these people go to school??? .."Was is it the right or left kidney?" uhm, neither? My kidneys failed and I had a new one put in.. so I have 3 kidneys in me, all of which dont work now.  ::)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »

many people have benefited from their prayers and that hopefully if she puts one in for me I wont need a kidney. What the??
What the? lol

Some people .. I have come across that. Yes I am a strong believer in miracles .. but do they honestly think we can live without a kidney with out even any artificial kidney or anything? We need a kidney!

It really is amazing how little people know but what bugs me more (since I don't mind explaining) is the ones who THINK they know and try to tell YOU as if they have MORE experience with kidney disease than we do!  :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

So the medical field doesn't know all that much either....everytime I go to the ER, they ask for your history of course, and I have to say I had a kidney transplant before. Everytime, this is the first question after I say that.. "Which kidney?"... Which kidney WHAT?? I had a whole new kidney put in... WTF.... where do these people go to school??? .."Was is it the right or left kidney?" uhm, neither? My kidneys failed and I had a new one put in.. so I have 3 kidneys in me, all of which dont work now. ::)
What??? I have never been asked "WHICH Kidney" that is absurd! Why would they ask which kidney? I don't get that! That is truely the MOST absurd thing I have ever heard! I mean, really, what difference does it make if it was left or right? It doesn't work, left or right do the same as each other! wtf  :banghead;
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:56:06 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2006, 10:10:45 PM »

Angie, when are you going to stomp your feet and yell at these stupid people?? Join me in standing up for yourself with the medical community!  Nice only goes so far.

Now that I have said some ignorant things, I return you to the original topic.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:48:47 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »