I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463057 times)
sandman

« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2006, 11:22:57 PM »

I will confess to being ignorant (gasp!).  :lol;  Before all this with Joe, I did not know anything about dialysis, kidney failure, etc.  I don't even remember knowing dialysis existed.  It was just something I had never been exposed to or educated on. 

Same thing here Sara.  I knew very little about kidney disease before I met Angie.  Now it's like I have entered a completely different world.  Rerun is right.  Why would a normal, healthy person want to seek information about something that does not effect them?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2006, 05:10:27 AM »

I will confess to being ignorant (gasp!).  :lol;  Before all this with Joe, I did not know anything about dialysis, kidney failure, etc.  I don't even remember knowing dialysis existed.  It was just something I had never been exposed to or educated on. 

Well, I'm sure I say stupid things to liver patients or heart patients.  Why would a normal healthy person know about kidney disease?  But, once you are a patient you just get tired of the dumb questions......
exactly but it is more than that. I can handle questions as there are no "dumb" questions .. but it is the ones you explain to over and over again and don't get it that get to me.  :banghead;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »

It's not the questions that bother me.  When someone wants to know about dialysis, or kidney failure, or how to navigate getting disability, I'm glad they asked.  If they don't know anything, I'm glad to share what I do know.  My problem is with the people who don't know anything about it but assume that they know all the answers and solutions - the ones who think cranberry juice and cinnamon sticks will solve all my problems.  Those are the ignorant ones.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sandman

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2006, 12:11:27 PM »

I think that in most cases, most people don't really know the difference between acute and chronic kidney failure.  That is what I have been noticing from my co-workers who start asking me questions about my girlfriend Angie.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »

I get the "weight" joke quite a bit....I DO offer my machine to anyone who wants to do dialysis just for fun. The other one I get is "it's just a needle (2)...I donate blood and it's not a big deal....yeah right.
I have a GREAT sense of humor. I can take a joke...but don't tell me that"you should be thankfull that this technology is available now a days...otherwise you would be dead"....I can't take that :-\
Panda_9

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2006, 02:15:19 PM »

I get the "weight" joke quite a bit....I DO offer my machine to anyone who wants to do dialysis just for fun. The other one I get is "it's just a needle (2)...I donate blood and it's not a big deal....yeah right.
I have a GREAT sense of humor. I can take a joke...but don't tell me that"you should be thankfull that this technology is available now a days...otherwise you would be dead"....I can't take that :-\

How can they say "Its just a needle"??? The f&%&$ing needles are only one of the minor parts of being on dialysis!!! Do they give blood 3 times a week for 4-6hrs? And if they dont they will die? Pffft!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2006, 06:05:23 PM »

It's not the questions that bother me.  When someone wants to know about dialysis, or kidney failure, or how to navigate getting disability, I'm glad they asked.  If they don't know anything, I'm glad to share what I do know.  My problem is with the people who don't know anything about it but assume that they know all the answers and solutions - the ones who think cranberry juice and cinnamon sticks will solve all my problems.  Those are the ignorant ones.
exactly!!

How can they say "Its just a needle"??? The f&%&$ing needles are only one of the minor parts of being on dialysis!!! Do they give blood 3 times a week for 4-6hrs? And if they dont they will die? Pffft!!!
Ya and those needles are HUGE that we get cannulated with!  :(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2006, 09:07:40 PM »

This is an enlightening thread!  I had no idea what some of you have to listen to. 

- It's fun to be in a wheelchair?!   :o

- The machine is a great way to lose weight?!   :o  Yes, and so is an amputation.  But maybe they already had one - of their brain...

With the exception of those who ask such inexcusable questions, I think most people are truly interested and want to show their concern and support (at least I hope this is their motivation).  Many people really don't know much about ESRD and dialysis and don't understand the difference between long-term treatment of a chronic condition v. eventual cure; also, maybe they want to believe that dialysis is a cure because if ESRD could happen to you - a coworker, acquaintance - it could also happen to them; and that's a thought too frightening for many to entertain.

I have to admit I have asked patients about the transplant list; I had no idea you're so sick hearing about it.  Usually I would ask transient patients - to make conversation and show an interest - but sometimes even patients in our clinic (we averaged 76-78 pts, and unless you were assigned to a patient as the primary nurse the workload did not allow us to read many charts).   I'll try to get that info from my patients' hospital charts in my upcoming job.

DeLana    :grouphug;
Fighter

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2006, 01:55:03 AM »

I had the winner yesterday, I was talking with my sister and one of her friends and explaining I was tired because I took off 5 kilos on dialysis last night.  Next question was how many pounds is that?  I sad about 12lbs and her friend acutally said "How can I get on one of those machines that would be awsome to loose 12lbs in 3 1/2 hours".  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I actually remember my Mom and my sister joking during my training that they would love to use dialysis as a way to lose weight (although neither of them is overweight), and then the head nurse answered that if that were possible, he'd be rich!
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »

I have to admit I have asked patients about the transplant list; I had no idea you're so sick hearing about it.  Usually I would ask transient patients - to make conversation and show an interest - but sometimes even patients in our clinic (we averaged 76-78 pts, and unless you were assigned to a patient as the primary nurse the workload did not allow us to read many charts).   I'll try to get that info from my patients' hospital charts in my upcoming job.

Don't stop communicating with your patients verbally.  You can only read the cold hard facts in the charts, you can't begin to get to know the PERSON through a chart.  I don't mind questions from people as long as they don't try to tell me how to cure myself with herbal teas and  coffee enemas!  (Yes... someone suggested that to me once)

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
AlasdairUK

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »

I think the difference is between people asking a stupid question just out of not knowing about ESRD and showing an interest and people who think they know how to make our lives better with. `drink more water' or something similar and when you explain why we do not do that they just do not listen or comprehend that more water would be harmful.

I do not mind people asking me stupid questions as long as they are prepared to listen to what I have to say.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »

I think the difference is between people asking a stupid question just out of not knowing about ESRD and showing an interest and people who think they know how to make our lives better with. `drink more water' or something similar and when you explain why we do not do that they just do not listen or comprehend that more water would be harmful.

I do not mind people asking me stupid questions as long as they are prepared to listen to what I have to say.

Good point Alasdair!!!   :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »

Don't stop communicating with your patients verbally.  You can only read the cold hard facts in the charts, you can't begin to get to know the PERSON through a chart.  I don't mind questions from people as long as they don't try to tell me how to cure myself with herbal teas and  coffee enemas!  (Yes... someone suggested that to me once)

Oh, I wouldn't.  But I'm glad that working in the hospital dialysis unit will give me a chance to look at the chart first so I won't make a major blunder - like ask a pt who is ineligible for transplant due to a rare infection if he's on the transplant list.

DeLana
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2006, 09:24:11 PM »

Just yesterday:  "What do you mean you don't pee?  Where does it go?"

I told the person I'm great on long trips!
:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »

Wow, so many of these things people have said to me!! It's ridiculous!

Some more that I haven't seen mentioned:

Myself a friend, and a friend of hers whom I've never met were on a crowded NYC subway.  I was sitting across from them.  The clueless friend literally YELLS across the friggin' subway: "So wait, you don't pee?  Do you still... you know... poop then?"  I just turned my head and acted like I didn't know her.   :o

Another one I get -- ALOT is, "Aw, but you're so young!"  --- yea, a-hole, like I don't know that?  I get that one SO often, it irks me.  Even doctors or nurses say it.

And my doctor, whom I've been seeing every month for the past 5 years - every.  single.  visit.  he says "So are you on the list yet?"  WTF man?  YEA!  I'm still on 4 lists.. One of my techs told me he just says that to make sure I'm staying on top of things.. yea.. right.

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:38 PM »

Myself a friend, and a friend of hers whom I've never met were on a crowded NYC subway.  I was sitting across from them.  The clueless friend literally YELLS across the friggin' subway: "So wait, you don't pee?  Do you still... you know... poop then?"  I just turned my head and acted like I didn't know her.   :o

Oh, my - I'm speechless!  :o

DeLana
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2006, 12:20:52 AM »

DeLana
Ya I have been asked that as well!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2006, 12:10:31 PM »

DeLana

You should have offered to poop them a gold brick!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »

DeLana

You should have offered to poop them a gold brick!
Kitkatz, you nearly killed me.  :rofl;  I am looking at this in a classroom in our community college.  A class next door is having a test.  When I read that, I laughed out so loud!!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2006, 03:15:59 PM »

And the funniest part is...you couldn't share it with anyone!!!  Right Bajanne?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2006, 01:26:03 AM »

Oh, I don't know if this qualifies as ignorant...and I'm not really trying to offend anyone...and this was said to my husband (not me) by a co-worker:

God told me your wife is going to be healed by her kidney transplant and everything's going to be fine.

I can't wait until I go to the next work function and tell Mr. Religious, "neener weener...either you were playing "telephone" with God and misuderstood what he said,  or God was trying to "punk" you.

Michelle  ~ Treasure   <~~~~  transplant lasted two months...pffth! and my son won't take it back, either, the brat!

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2006, 01:33:11 AM »

God told me your wife is going to be healed by her kidney transplant and everything's going to be fine.
Holy crap I thought I was the ONLY one who had people tell me that!!!

I have had 2 people tell me that in the last 5 years!

Man if I took them seriously I would have been very disappointed as I was "supposed to" have a kidney transplant last summer according to the one man!! But instead I ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks and had to give up PD and go to HD and was taken off the list temporarily! Guess he was wrong eh? lol  :banghead;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
vandie

« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2006, 07:56:51 AM »

Oh, I don't know if this qualifies as ignorant...and I'm not really trying to offend anyone...and this was said to my husband (not me) by a co-worker:

I can't wait until I go to the next work function and tell Mr. Religious, "neener weener...either you were playing "telephone" with God and misuderstood what he said,  or God was trying to "punk" you.

Michelle  ~ Treasure   <~~~~  transplant lasted two months...pffth! and my son won't take it back, either, the brat!
lol, DAMN KIDS!!!
Seriously though, what a wonderful gift he gave you.  Very selfless young man.
On the other topic, I believe people say things like that because it gives them some level of comfort in a situation they cannot understand.  :beer1;

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »

I was in the hospital last month and they wanted to cath me to do a clean catch urine, I tried to tell the nurse that I don't pee, but she kept insisting that I was not relaxed and that if I'd just relax she could get a specimen (as she jams the catheter tube around up inside me) Thank God for another nurse that happened to come in at the time, and when the mean nurse said she won't relax so I can get a specimen, the good nurse said, well she's on dialysis she doesn't pee!! Well mean nurse stomps out of the room like its my fault I don't pee. I wanted to give nice nurse a hug.

Live each day as if it will be your last!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »

I was in the hospital last month and they wanted to cath me to do a clean catch urine, I tried to tell the nurse that I don't pee, but she kept insisting that I was not relaxed and that if I'd just relax she could get a specimen (as she jams the catheter tube around up inside me) Thank God for another nurse that happened to come in at the time, and when the mean nurse said she won't relax so I can get a specimen, the good nurse said, well she's on dialysis she doesn't pee!! Well mean nurse stomps out of the room like its my fault I don't pee. I wanted to give nice nurse a hug.
OUCH! Sorry they put you through that...

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »