I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464122 times)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #550 on: November 07, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »

In the hospital...some nurses but all the nurse aides and techs...every two hours with their clipboard...how much have you peed? then most of them would want to know how I felt different, did I feel the need to pee...etc...so for a week when I could talk I had to give ESRD 101 for all..and this was on the nephrology floor.....I am so glad to be home.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Katey

« Reply #551 on: November 08, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »

Dumbest thing I have ever heard is "Can't you stop going to dialysis once you feel better?"  RIGHT don't we all wish we could stop???? :flower;

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Found this wonderful site Nov 2008!!
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #552 on: November 09, 2008, 12:22:12 AM »

If one more person says "How's your Dad...is he still on dialysis?!"  :Kit n Stik;   I'm tempted to say "no, he's just decided to die instead" .
idahospud

« Reply #553 on: November 09, 2008, 06:05:41 AM »

I hate wen family and Friends ask how you are and whats Rog ? You tell theme pkd ckd and its hereditary thy tell it wont happen to you . to late here it is ! I'm OK with the fact I have it just don't try to lessen the fact it is what it is . You cant Chang it with a frays
Jay72

« Reply #554 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

People... You have to realize most people don't have health issues and don't have a clue what dialysis really is.  Stop getting annoyed with them, they are curious and they wouldn't ask if they didn't care.  99% of the time they are not saying it to be mean.  Even the comments of "I wish I could lose six pounds in 4 hours"  damn take it is a joke they are certainly not trying to hurt your feelings..

JAy
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »

Jay 72   what you post is true
            but after you have heard and been asked the same questions time after time - it gets old
            Did you find a new kidney yet? is one of my favorites :stressed;
Brightsky69

« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »

One thing I find annoying is all of the people that know what I am going thru and they ask me "how are you doing?" I tell them "I am feeling better , thank you."  Then after that they just stare at me. Like that are waiting for me to say something else. What do they want me to say???

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Jay72

« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »

I understand it gets old,  I have been going through this all my life....I am just saying that I never let it bother me because people just don't understand, sometime I find it easier to explain to them what the whole process of getting a transplant is like and what dialysis is and how it works and what it is for and then 9 times out of 10 you don't get the "annoying questions" but just a "how are you doing" or have you moved up on the list"  Stuff that just lets me know that the only reason they ask is because they care.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #558 on: November 09, 2008, 01:51:25 PM »

People... You have to realize most people don't have health issues and don't have a clue what dialysis really is.  Stop getting annoyed with them, they are curious and they wouldn't ask if they didn't care.  99% of the time they are not saying it to be mean.  Even the comments of "I wish I could lose six pounds in 4 hours"  damn take it is a joke they are certainly not trying to hurt your feelings..

JAy

I think you've got the right attitude.
 :beer1;

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Brightsky69

« Reply #559 on: November 09, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »

Sometimes I don't feel like going into the whole rigmarole. That is when I say I am doing good and want to leave it at that. But then they just stare at me like I should be on Discovery Health Channel. 95% of the time I don't mind educating people about dialysis and kidney transplants. There are just some days when I don't want to even think about it.

Off topic....I was sitting in clinic the other day thinking about how hemo dialysis is like prison. There we are all lined up in chairs (cells) unable to go anywhere or do anything. It's can be loud like a prison and there are some disturbed patients in my clinic (like a prison). And the dialysis room is even under lock down and there were two sheriff deputies hanging around....just like a prison.

Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #560 on: November 09, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

I had a family member ask " Do you have to take Dialysis Today?" , like it was some kind of pill. Dont I wish.
BigSteve

« Reply #561 on: November 11, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »

Brightsky: Why is your unit under lock down with sheriffs' deputies hanging around?
Did you shot the sheriff?

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #562 on: November 11, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »

Hehehehe!   Well you know how dialysis patients get sometimes.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #563 on: November 11, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

Twirl,

I agree with you.........sometimes it just gets freaking OLD!    I do realize that most people mean well but again, some people just do not freaking think!!!   Like last night, I wanted to stop by a store to get some colas (caffeine) and this old lady said to me, "why don't you just drink water, its better for you"   :rofl;   I laughed and said, "oh, that does not help me, my kidneys are already shot!"    :rofl;   :urcrazy;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #564 on: November 12, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »

TW, now I hope you don't take this the wrong way but colas are not especially good for anyone, although of course small quantities aren't too problematic.  Even with my transplant I limited myself to the very occasional cola, like one a month, and not even that really.  For us, dialysis patients the phosphorus is the big concern and I consider cola phosphorus a total waste because it's totally empty of food value.  No nutritional benefits, no fibre, no nothing, for the phosphorus risk.  I've lost bone density already since April and I am more than very careful with my diet.  Being in a wheelchair on top of being on dialysis is scary enough for me to never drink cola again.

I know that it's hard to give up things we love to eat or drink but I don't find it that hard if I know that I'm helping to avoid more problems down the road.  Please don't take this as a lecture, I don't mean it that way.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #565 on: November 12, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »

Yes monrein...it's funny but my family and friends don't even drink pepsi or coke around me and if someone asks they will just say it's loaded with phosphorus and leave the people wondering.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #566 on: November 12, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »

You are a diabetic, right?   One more person asks me that, gets   :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #567 on: November 12, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »

it would be nice to be more like monrein
but too late now
I had a root beer today ---- 10 ounces
we have been told root beer in okay
but about once a week --- I need a coke------ I buy the 8 ounce cans and think I am doing better, then I drink 3 of them
 :stressed;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #568 on: November 12, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »

monrein, you have more will power than I do - although I don't like pop at all, so that's never been an issue for me.  My phos addiction is peanut butter, preferably with chocolate!

Standing in the hospital today, watching the 3rd nurse try and start an IV on my sick, dehydrated aunt, when my uncle pipes up, "Do you have any idea what's its like to have them turn you into a pincushion?"  My aunt and MIL, who have both helped me with dialysis just started to laugh at him.   ;D 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #569 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »

aaawww Monrein, I did not take that as a lecture but I do love my caffeine "colas" even tho I know I am not suppose to have them.........sometimes I just can't help myself so then I DO "help myself"!   :rofl;  I am like Twirl, I think I am being good when I buy the 8oz and then like her, I drink 3 of them!    :rofl;  but thank you Monrein!     :cuddle;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Jess21

« Reply #570 on: November 12, 2008, 08:51:56 PM »

Are you still waiting, for that, organ?

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #571 on: November 12, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »

Are you still waiting, for that, organ?

You must be at the top of the list by now.   :Kit n Stik;   :Kit n Stik;   :boxing;

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   :stressed;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #572 on: November 13, 2008, 05:30:54 AM »

Wattle
do you know Kola bears eat their mom's poo to build up a resistance the poison in the leafs they eat
and some animals regurgitate to feed their young
makes breast feeding a picnic

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #573 on: November 13, 2008, 05:34:55 AM »

the other day I had a Grey Tea some kind of tea in a bottle that looks like a long neck
it is lemon tea from England  and it is my favorite
I had it in a bottle hugger -- you know those things to keep you drink colder longer
this nurse screamed out---"You can not drink beer at dailysis!"

Filpbob would have loved that one.
Brightsky69

« Reply #574 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

BigSteve - I am not sure why the sherifs hang around. I could ask but my guess is that there are a couple of prisoners that need dialysis. The sherifs are usually gone by the end of my session. So it's not like they hang around to walk people to their cars. As far as the unit being locked down....I was thinking that was basic security???  Are no one else's units under lock and key? Maybe my unit is in a bad area?? It's right behind a large police station with lots of warehouses around.

On the other note....I have given up cola. I have taken up drinking sparking water. I still get the carbonation without all the other stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »